To Much Protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• Rick5101963
    Options
    Too much protein can cause further damage to compromised kidneys in diabetics.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    protein is absolutely no big deal...I used to think it was till i became enlightened..dont get me wrong I love a juicy steak no veghead here:) I AM very interested in Fat and carbohydrate..now that turns me on..got my bigger stronger and leaner!! 3 years of very low protein does a body good!
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Well...Everyone is different here..I have about 10% of my calories come from protein and honestly have never been stronger or leaner in my life..I certainly didnt realize how much protein/amino acids we get in fruits vegetables and starches..Protein is literally EVERYWHERE!!!

In pretty small quantities. Plus, you need to ensure that your get your EAAs. Most fruits, veggies and starches are not complete proteins.

It really is not to hard to eat complete proteins throughout the day and all of the AA do not have to be eaten at one meal. It is fine if it is over the course of a few meals. You can eat beans or bean products with pretty much any starch or starchy vegetable or have beans and seeds or beans and nuts and have a complete protein.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Well...Everyone is different here..I have about 10% of my calories come from protein and honestly have never been stronger or leaner in my life..I certainly didnt realize how much protein/amino acids we get in fruits vegetables and starches..Protein is literally EVERYWHERE!!!

In pretty small quantities. Plus, you need to ensure that your get your EAAs. Most fruits, veggies and starches are not complete proteins.

It really is not to hard to eat complete proteins throughout the day and all of the AA do not have to be eaten at one meal. It is fine if it is over the course of a few meals. You can eat beans or bean products with pretty much any starch or starchy vegetable or have beans and seeds or beans and nuts and have a complete protein.

Never said they had to be eaten in one go. You do need to pay attention to it though. The main EAA that is important to muscle protein synthesis is leucine which is missing in many fruits and veggies - so combining (at some point) is important.

Beans or other legumes were not mentioned by the poster. They are a great way to make the proteins complete when eaten as part of a varied diet.

ETA: technically a legume is a fruit - so I suppose it was covered from a botanical perspective.
  • fishnbrah
    fishnbrah Posts: 550
    Options
    protein is absolutely no big deal...I used to think it was till i became enlightened..dont get me wrong I love a juicy steak no veghead here:) I AM very interested in Fat and carbohydrate..now that turns me on..got my bigger stronger and leaner!! 3 years of very low protein does a body good!

lol, do you even lift?
  • SassyLynndog
    SassyLynndog Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This is from research submitted to NIH: Although excessive protein intake remains a health concern in individuals with pre-existing renal disease, the literature lacks significant research demonstrating a link between protein intake and the initiation or progression of renal disease in healthy individuals. More importantly, evidence suggests that protein-induced changes in renal function are likely a normal adaptative mechanism well within the functional limits of a healthy kidney. Without question, long-term studies are needed to clarify the scant evidence currently available regarding this relationship. At present, there is not sufficient proof to warrant public health directives aimed at restricting dietary protein intake in healthy adults for the purpose of preserving renal function.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1262767/
    NIH has the best research on this.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    No such thing as too much protein.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    This is from research submitted to NIH: Although excessive protein intake remains a health concern in individuals with pre-existing renal disease, the literature lacks significant research demonstrating a link between protein intake and the initiation or progression of renal disease in healthy individuals. More importantly, evidence suggests that protein-induced changes in renal function are likely a normal adaptative mechanism well within the functional limits of a healthy kidney. Without question, long-term studies are needed to clarify the scant evidence currently available regarding this relationship. At present, there is not sufficient proof to warrant public health directives aimed at restricting dietary protein intake in healthy adults for the purpose of preserving renal function.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1262767/
    NIH has the best research on this.

Here is another one that supports the above:

http://www.jissn.com/content/1/1/45
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    The truth is, protein is very acidifying to the body (research acidic/alkaline body to understand why this is a factor).

While you're doing your research, read this one too - http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/coral2.html

Beware of bad science, it's worse for you than protein!
  • cornfieldsuburbia
    Options
    I just got done reading through all of your comments. I am so appreciative of all the great articles that you all provided and it looks like my question may have become a topic for debate. I will continue to do my best in eating balanced meals and have changed MFP settings.

Thank you all again for all the information ya all provided - it has been a great help to this newbie!!!!!