Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

PLEASE use accurate information for food databse

chrisban35
chrisban35 Posts: 3 Member
I've been using this program now for about a month. And first, let me thank all those who actually take the time to input the data for food. You really make the job so much easier for the rest of us. Especially those of us who have weight challenges due to stressed out schedules.

But now, the negative part... Some of you are inputting "false" data. That doesn't help you, and it greatly diminishes the success for everyone here who may use your logged food data. Since there is no benefit to inaccurate information, why would someone use it? It simply doesn't make any sense to falsify the truth about what you're eating.

If you lie about calories, your body still gains the weight. If you lie about the salt, you still get high blood pressure. If you lie about all of it, the results still come out "true" even when your information isn't... PLEASE, only input TRUE data... This is what helps, you and me in our goals to be healthier...

It is my belief that myfitnesspal.com should now find a way for the database to become like a wiki database. That way, we can go back in and correct some of these very false food listings in the database...

If you support this idea, help me in changing myfitnesspal.com's current method for listing foods. Or at least be able to mark the food listing as "inaccurate for our individual accounts so it won't appear again...

Replies

• Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    I have noticed that too. Sometimes I get the same calorie count whether I choose the 4 oz portion or the 1 oz portion. I've gotten to recognize the false input ones on my frequently used ones but you gotta check.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,733 Member
    no.

bossofme300.jpg
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    You can't hold anyone else responsible if you don't bother to make sure it's correct before you log it.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Quick google searches will help you fact check if you're skeptical :) any time I add to the database I make sure it's the nutritional information off of the package, but all of my homemade stuff I don't share because I put my specific ingredients into caloriecount's recipe calculator and anyone else might make it differently
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Glad I am not the only one that noticed... A lil frustrating to see 5 entries that is not the same than the box I have in front of me! Makes you wonder.....
  • bobell69
    bobell69 Posts: 1
    I think a wiki concept of users editing the data as they find errors would be terrific. Great idea.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    This is why I almost always use the bar code scanner on my phone when I log food. I don't think people purposely enter the wrong information, I think they don't understand what a serving size is or how to accurately log it. If I am using a food that I haven't scanned, I always check it against the packages nutritional information.
  • Katina3333
    Katina3333 Posts: 259 Member
    Could it be that nutritional facts change? I've been wondering why there are so many enteries for certain items and none of them match. I've even used the scanner (for my bread) and it comes up with a different name for the bread, strange, right?!? It does kinda suck to not be able to trust the database and to always have to check it against the actual nutritional value that you have in hand but what I've found is that the more I log, the easier it becomes because things come up on my most used or recently used.

I have clicked that the nutritional info is incorrect and it asks me if I want to make changes. Do those changes not stay in the system?
  • You can change the wrong information now. When you click on nutritional information they ask if the data is correct. If you select no you can then edit and input the correct information and save it.