GPS fitness tracking v MFP

Options
alex6971
alex6971 Posts: 51 Member
My question is do people prefer to use the calorie counter on these apps or the one on MFP?

So i have dowloaded an app on my phone called Endomondo Pro i used it today when i went on a walk. I done 90 minutes and it said my avarage speed was 3.5mph for which it said I had burned 736 calories. If i enter inot MFP that i walked 90 minutes at 3.5mph it says I have burned 430. Now this is very confusing.

Replies

• Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    430 sounds more like it. I use RunKeeper and I burn about that during my walks for a similar amount of time.
  • Maalea
    Maalea Posts: 16,297 Member
    Options
    Endomondo's calorie calculation is way off, unfortunately.
    You can either live with it (and hope that they fix it, finally), or enter a reasonable heart rate manually (with heart rate data the value is much more reasonable), or use another app - Runkeeper, Sports-tracker, or Sportstracker Live are often recommended.

If you do much walking and want good calorie values, don't use Runtastic - it tells you that you burn 300 cals per hour walking, regardless of speed and distance. For other sports like running the calorie calculation is more accurate, but still without taking the heart rate into account, even if you use their heart rate monitor...
  • alex6971
    alex6971 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for getting back to me. Thought it was a bit much! will give runkeeper a go,