running calf injury - worried!

Options
jabaa91
jabaa91 Posts: 19 Member
So I have been running for around the past year, usually do 4-5 miles per session but been trying to increase it. The other day on the treadmill I managed just under 7 miles, I felt a bit sore on my hip (normal for me..22 and i have the bones of a 90 year old!). I stretched and went home, felt great!

However, the next day on my left leg the calf area felt really sore. At first i thought it must be a pulled muscle, however one week later its not healing. Feeling around my lower leg, its the area between my tibia and fibula? I am worried that its a bone injury.

Clearly I am not experienced, but just worried as any strains I have had have usually cleared within a week and this just seems to be getting worse, even this morning it was painful.

Going to try and make a doctors appointment tomorrow, but just wondering if anyone had experienced anything similiar or any experts out there who can offer advice??

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Definitely get it checked out by a doctor.

But, I will tell you that I strained my calf muscle once while playing soccer. After a couple of weeks it felt fine, until I tried running on it. Took about 3 months to heal. It was unlike any other muscle strain I'd ever had.

Good luck, take it easy, and follow doctor's orders.
  • dholno
    dholno Posts: 14
    Options
    Sounds like a Grade 1 strain. It's very common among runners. You probably increased distance too fast or did not have a proper rest and/or stretching in between. You better stop any further exercise with that leg until you talk to your doctor.

Rule of thumb RICE (rise, ice, compression,elevation) is a must to avoid further complications. If you didn't feel the "pop" during the strain you are going to be ok in a couple of weeks but take it easy and do a lot of stretching when you start running again. This is usually an early warning. A poorly cure calf strain can trigger a grade 2 strain very quickly and that can put you out for 6 to 8 weeks....

...better be safe than sorry.

Gl