How do I make my thighs slimmer?

Options
Hi there!:)

I've always had pretty big thighs, though I'm not overweight. I'm 5'5 and 110 lbs, but my thighs are 22 inches! I'm on a vegan diet (not to lose weight, but to be healthy), but I can't really exercise due to some health problems. I don't know what to do.
Is there any exercises that aren't too strenuous, but can help tone my thighs?

Thanks!

Replies

• JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    You should look at mybodygallery. I can't see one person your weight and height who has big thighs, not that you can't exercise. Of course, that would be great. Running long distances is great at slimming a persons middle and lower body. Lifting weights can help too. I am not an expert at lifting though so someone else can probably help more in this area.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Cycling and running while eating a caloric deficit. Both of these help put your body in a state of catabolism, which is when your body uses muscle mass as fuel in addition to fat and carbs.
  • Sandylovespiano
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Cycling and running while eating a caloric deficit. Both of these help put your body in a state of catabolism, which is when your body uses muscle mass as fuel in addition to fat and carbs.

True, but at 5'5 110, that's a scary thought. Already BMI underweight.

Walking, swimming, biking are all good. See a doctor before eating under maintenance...
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    i hope your get enough protein on you vegan diet. i used to work with this guy who told me his freinds daughter became vegan and gain 30lbs in a few months and always got sick,i think she wasnt getting enough protein. when your vegan you gotta be smart with your diet.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i hope your get enough protein on you vegan diet. i used to work with this guy who told me his freinds daughter became vegan and gain 30lbs in a few months and always got sick,i think she wasnt getting enough protein. when your vegan you gotta be smart with your diet.

True this. I had a vegan bf who was in terrible shape because he ate like crap. It's easy to eat like **** on a vegan diet. It doesn't automatically make you healthier.
  • Sandylovespiano
    Options
    Well, I don't eat a lot of processed food, and I feel so much healthier than I did on a meat-eating diet. My diet usually consists of whole grains, greens, fruits, tons of nuts, and some soy products. Also, my protein count is always above average.

Thanks!
  • bleedingdesu
    bleedingdesu Posts: 63 Member
    Options

True this. I had a vegan bf who was in terrible shape because he ate like crap. It's easy to eat like **** on a vegan diet. It doesn't automatically make you healthier.
    most vegans I know get tons of protein, except for a nurse my father works with. she's vegan and claims she gets enough protein, but nobody has ever seen her eat anything but bananas. Seriously. Bananas every day, no matter what shift she's working or if she's pulling double shifts. Bananas.
  • sara_gets_fit
    sara_gets_fit Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    With the running and cycling, try throwing in some squats, lunges, and fire hydrants (love those). Anything that works the legs!
  • Sandylovespiano
    Options

most vegans I know get tons of protein, except for a nurse my father works with. she's vegan and claims she gets enough protein, but nobody has ever seen her eat anything but bananas. Seriously. Bananas every day, no matter what shift she's working or if she's pulling double shifts. Bananas.

That doesn't sound very healthy at all! She needs more variety lol!
  • Sandylovespiano
    Options
    With the running and cycling, try throwing in some squats, lunges, and fire hydrants (love those). Anything that works the legs!

Good suggestion! I don't recall ever doing the fire hydrant, but I'll look it up:)
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options

It's easy to eat like s*** on any diet. Even easier to criticize someone else's diet just because it's different from yours.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    what's wrong with 22 inches?
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

It's easy to eat like s*** on any diet. Even easier to criticize someone else's diet just because it's different from yours.

I was vegan for about eight months while I was dating the guy. I wasn't criticising the diet, I was just stating that too many people automatically equate vegan with healthy.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There is NO specific exercise that you can do to make your legs smaller. You need a calorie deficit and genetics on your side, but I agree 22" is not big.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Thigh master
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    what's wrong with 22 inches?

Hahaha That's what I was thinking!!

I'm trying to get DOWN to 22 inches!

Fastest way to slim down thighs. Cut off a chunk from each inner thigh. BOOM. Thinner thighs and instant thigh gap.

Serious note, squat. Squat and lunge and squat some more. Give your legs some strength and muscle and perks your booty up as well!
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Not huge impact, no weight needed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1UGZQqwHZ4 Denise austin 5 min inner thigh work out
  • Territravel
    Territravel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Spinning class is awesome for legs!
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Hi there!:)

I've always had pretty big thighs, though I'm not overweight. I'm 5'5 and 110 lbs, but my thighs are 22 inches! I'm on a vegan diet (not to lose weight, but to be healthy), but I can't really exercise due to some health problems. I don't know what to do.
    Is there any exercises that aren't too strenuous, but can help tone my thighs?

Thanks!

You do not need to lose 32 lbs or anymore weight. According to your BMI you are UNDERWEIGHT.
    You need to gain weight. You can start toning your body. Try blogilates.com exercises, and increase eating.