Going camping in Seattle area - any tips?

Options
BroiledNotFried
BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
Hi,

We're from South Florida. Every year, we get out of the heat for a week or so in the Summer.

This July, we're going camping in the Seattle area. I am planning on 3 days in Bogachiel State Park on the Olympic Penninsula and 3 days at Ike Kinswa State Park between Mount Rainier and Mount St. Helens. I have reservations at the later, but Bogachiel doesn't take them. Hoping we can score a spot as the state parks have showers.

Any help/ideas/tips would be greatly appreciated for us novices to the Seattle area.

Replies

• Paraflier17
    Paraflier17 Posts: 70
    Options
    We LOVE Ike Kinswa! It is AWESOME. Another one that isn't too terribly far and is beautiful is Denny Creek. I-90 about milepost 47.

It's smaller than IK though... Plus with IK, you have the lake that's close by to go swim at. Mossyrock (in the same general ares - Morton - is another great place. :))

You can never go wrong w/ Mt. Rainier... But there is an additional 15 dollar per car fee to get into the part. PLUS you have to pay to camp. Cougar Rock campground is out fav. :)
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Ike Kinswa is beautiful. I camp there several times a year. July is usually relatively warm though it often still rains in July here. Just make sure to pack some warmer clothes....you will definitely need pants and a hoodie at night time.
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    This may sound crazy, but do you know if we need bear cannisters? We usually use locking bins for dry food.
  • catrinaHwechanged
    Options
    This may sound crazy, but do you know if we need bear cannisters? We usually use locking bins for dry food.

You should be perfectly fine without them :)
  • d9123
    d9123 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Pepper ur angus
  • FussyFruitbat
    FussyFruitbat Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    That is a VERY wet region that's almost constantly raining, so make sure everything is waterproof.
  • catrinaHwechanged
    Options
    That is a VERY wet region that's almost constantly raining, so make sure everything is waterproof.

It's usually not too bad in July. Rain happens, but it's not typically torrential downpours :)

It's usually always hit or miss whether the beginning of July tends to be rainy, the end of July is typically always dry.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    The fruit from that area is retarded good. I was on the other side of the mountains last year in Yakima. Seriously, it ruined me for fruit from other places. It took me nearly 6 months before I enjoyed anything but florida citrus again.