New, hippy and Celiac

Options
islandnutshel
islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
Hi, I am beginning to wonder if I am the only overweight celiac out there? Most Celiac's are diagnosed by "failure to thrive" otherwise known as too skinny. I've been there too, but not in the last 10 years and not when diagnosed.
It is always encouraging for me to hear of others celiac's stories of how they were diagnosed because I think we go through a period of questioning our sanity when it comes to our love/hate relationship with food.
I am 36, married young, and have a big yellow lab as my only child.
I've grown up on a little island off the coast of B.C. (that's in canada)
I was healthiest when eating off our little hippy farm. Still trying to eat healthy in town. I love buying local produce from farm stands with honesty boxes.

Replies

• KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I do not have celiac, although my aunt does and we recently had my son tested. I have a friend who is overweight with celiac disease...once she stopped eating gluten than the weight came off, slowly with diet and exercise, etc. Have you been tested for casein intolerance? Sometimes they go hand in hand!!!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    not sure what casien is? I've heard parents talk about it as a thing to avoid along with gluten for kids diagnosed with Autism. But thanks I will do some research.
  • KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Casein is a binding agent salt found in products. Yes, the hype is to avoid in children/adults on the spectrum. (My son has limited special needs). Anyway, that I have done a ton of research on it since my son was tested for this "casein" and I found that some people take it for weight loss, while others, primarily those who are gluten intolerant are frequently intolerant of casein too, and that may hinder weight loss and cause other health problems. His pediatrician kinda explained this to me too... who knows! So much unknown about all of this. It's all greek to me! :)