Robin Hood's in New Hampshire

Options
SerenaFisher
SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
On my drive home from work at 6am I listen to a lot of morning talk radio. I was amazed that a group of people in Keene NH are going around feeding parking meters, leaving business cards requesting that people pay it forward for being saved from a parking meter. (All optional to the person of course!) No surprise the city is outraged (why wouldn't they be, how much money do you think they're losing with these "merry men" feeding the meters?) They are now trying to sue the "Merry men" saying they are mocking the police... aka Meter Maids... by doing this deed. Naturally in the report they say that the people are rushing ahead of them to put quarters in and they essentially saying "neener neener neener". :laugh:

Anyway if you find this interesting here is an article on it. For me this is just an example of being great citizens. If given the option I would put a quarter in a meter for a person. Would you?
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/14/new-hampshire-city-sues-group-for-paying-parking-meters-strangers/

Replies

• baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I live in New Hampshire and this doesn't surprise me at all! Not that that aren't in other states, but I feel that we live in a state where there are so many more people that are willing to give and not receive. It's such a close, tight knit community up here.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I live in New Hampshire and this doesn't surprise me at all! Not that that aren't in other states, but I feel that we live in a state where there are so many more people that are willing to give and not receive. It's such a close, tight knit community up here.

I have not been to NH but I imagine if it is anything like Vermont, it wouldn't surprise me people are doing this.

When I was in Vermont for vacation, we went to a little market in Burlington and the place we had to park had meters. We were just there to get fresh eggs and bread to bring home, so a quick stop, but we put something like 2 dollars worth of quarters in just to be nice. It was a good spot, too, so I imagine that made someone very happy lol

I guess I can see how it would make the people that monitor that unhappy cause you're kinda ruining their job, but I'm sure there are plenty of other parking violations they could find.
  • SerenaFisher
    Options

I have not been to NH but I imagine if it is anything like Vermont, it wouldn't surprise me people are doing this.

When I was in Vermont for vacation, we went to a little market in Burlington and the place we had to park had meters. We were just there to get fresh eggs and bread to bring home, so a quick stop, but we put something like 2 dollars worth of quarters in just to be nice. It was a good spot, too, so I imagine that made someone very happy lol

I guess I can see how it would make the people that monitor that unhappy cause you're kinda ruining their job, but I'm sure there are plenty of other parking violations they could find.
    I work in Vermont (Live in upstate NY) people in this area are much nicer. However there isn't "merry men" in Rutland Vermont lol. Perhaps I should start one. Most of my neighbors would give me the shirt off their back, it's a very close community. I was born in CT and it is nothing like VT and upstate NY. NYC is a whole different beast. I remember visiting a friend in NYC and saying "thank you" and "excuse me" and my friend saying "Will you please stop doing that before you get us stabbed" I was like "What they take it as an insult?" And yes, apparently they do. Granted I am sure it isn't like that every where, and not everyone would be offended... However it was a real eye opener to how much nicer it is in my area. :D
  • MattN1972
    MattN1972 Posts: 117
    Options
    Live free or die....as long as you don't pay someone else's parking meter.
  • SerenaFisher
    Options
    Well see they meant "Live free or die.. if you pay someone's parking meter" it's all about presentation.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I miss my home state.
    <3 NH
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    I work in Vermont (Live in upstate NY) people in this area are much nicer. However there isn't "merry men" in Rutland Vermont lol. Perhaps I should start one. Most of my neighbors would give me the shirt off their back, it's a very close community. I was born in CT and it is nothing like VT and upstate NY. NYC is a whole different beast. I remember visiting a friend in NYC and saying "thank you" and "excuse me" and my friend saying "Will you please stop doing that before you get us stabbed" I was like "What they take it as an insult?" And yes, apparently they do. Granted I am sure it isn't like that every where, and not everyone would be offended... However it was a real eye opener to how much nicer it is in my area. :D

I live in CT now, but I'm originally from FL where everyone says please, thank you, yes ma'am, no ma'am, excuse me, etc. When I got here I wanted to cry at how rude everyone was, comparatively. I've gotten used to it now, though I still mind my Ps and Qs, but when we went to Vermont we fell in love with the environment and the people and decided we wanted to move there. Everyone was ridiculously friendly and cheery and the air was so clean lol. You can see for miles! I'm near Hartford so the air is kinda dirty here. Maybe 'cause VT is so close to Canada? lol
  • SerenaFisher
    Options
    Hartford?! Ironic. I was born in New Milford. Which is 30 mins from Hartford, we use to go there all the time. I actually have a great childhood memory (talking like the age of 4 or younger) of going to the Danbury mall and riding on the escalators thinking they were awesome but scared the last step would eat me haha.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    Hartford?! Ironic. I was born in New Milford. Which is 30 mins from Hartford, we use to go there all the time. I actually have a great childhood memory (talking like the age of 4 or younger) of going to the Danbury mall and riding on the escalators thinking they were awesome but scared the last step would eat me haha.

Yepp! lol I gotta be honest, I still practically hop off the escalator so it doesn't eat my pants O.O