Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Weight down, water% down, body fat UP!???

amunet07
amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
I'm confused. I've been being good exercising 6 days a week, eating at level and my weight is going down but my Walmart scale says my body fat has gone up. (side note it is that time of the month). I don't understand??? Could someone help? Explain how or why? PLEASE

Replies

• KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    These scales are NOT always accurate so I wouldn't let that really dictate your progress. I have one as well and it said my body fat percentage was a lot higher than it actually is... I get mine checked professionally with a trainer. The scales can be a good tool to guestimate your body fat percentage, but not always right on target ;) I would let your body guide how you feel, like how your clothes fit, how your body feels, how you look, etc...
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    The scales that claim to measure body fat are highly inaccurate. That would be my guess as to what's going on.
  • I've been going to a weight loss clinic where they put me on a really fancy scale that measures all that. Last week when I went, my weight was down, my water was down, and my fat percent was up.

The reason why is that when you're body starts losing weight, you lose muscle first. So even though you haven't gained any fat, since you've loss muscle the fat percent of your body is higher. Does that make sense? I'm not sure how well I explained it. But don't worry too much, you probably haven't actually gained any fat.

The way to keep that from happening is strength training.
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    Bump
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    I've been going to a weight loss clinic where they put me on a really fancy scale that measures all that. Last week when I went, my weight was down, my water was down, and my fat percent was up.

The reason why is that when you're body starts losing weight, you lose muscle first. So even though you haven't gained any fat, since you've loss muscle the fat percent of your body is higher. Does that make sense? I'm not sure how well I explained it. But don't worry too much, you probably haven't actually gained any fat.

Who the heck taught you that? If you are properly nourishing your body then you don't lose muscle first, if at all.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    I've been going to a weight loss clinic where they put me on a really fancy scale that measures all that. Last week when I went, my weight was down, my water was down, and my fat percent was up.

Muscle loss only happens if you are not consuming adequate protein intake in your daily requirements. I have never had that happen to me.

What you eat is way more important than the type of exercise you do. Can't reap the benefits of strength training either if your body doesn't have adequate protein to assist in repairing the tears in the muscle.
  • KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Agreed. If anything, you loose water weight first, not muscle. Muscle begins to "burn up" if you are severely limiting your calories (doesn't have to just be protein...) and that usually doesn't happen right away. I would count this more as a scale error...
  • heebiejeebie
    heebiejeebie Posts: 32 Member
    The scales measure electrical impedance. If you are slightly dehydrated, you get a higher fat reading because fat cells contain less water than muscle cells so have higher impedance. Less water means generally higher impedance.

Ignore the fat percentage - it will usually be wrong.
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    I think Heebiejeebie is right. I read somewhere - but I forgot where- that you need to be hydraded when you weigh on those scales. If you weigh first thing in the morning to drink a glass of water first. I think those scales that measure body fat are based on the information you put in and are based on formulars too. I figured this out and researched it when I accidently put in my 18 sons number and weighted myself. My body fat was like 18% then I knew something was wrong. (It is usually between 25 and 28) I started paying close attention to the ratio with my water % and fat %. I know that the measurements may not be exactly right but I measure my progress. I track everything on a weekly bases and that is what I go by. So if your water was down then it makes sense that body fat was up - but that is not necessary a fair reading. If you weigh yourself and the water % in exactly where it was in the first place or first time then you can get a better reading of your body fat%. My example is ; my water % is normally between 49 to 50% I track the body fat at that % which is slowly going down - started at 30% and is now between 27 and 28%. If my water % is like 52 or higher then my body fat is lower like 26 but I know that isn't on the right track - also if my water % is 46% or lower then my body fat was like 32% I don't count that either. I don't know if this makes any sense and I could be totaly off but its what I do to track it. I have a Tanita body composition scale and I really like tracking my progress with it. It gives me a better overall picture than just my weight.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    I agree the scale probably isn't as accurate but another thing... if it is your TOM, even if it SAYS your water weight is down, it probably isn't. When I got measured right after my TOM, my body fat % was up.
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Phew! thanks all... I was in a panic. Another thing??? my pants are getting looser in the waist but tighter in the thighs... yikes... I've been working on my less as that is where my fat goes... so maybe the fat hasn't left there yet but I've gained muscle???!!
  • Sorry for the bad advice. I was just going by what the weight loss clinic doctor told me. I guess I don't need to listen to him when there are fitness experts on the site who know more than he does.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Two words: "Walmart scale"