Kale and Juicer?

Options
akrnrunner
akrnrunner Posts: 117 Member
Hi, I"m new to juicing but figured it was a good way to boost my veggie intake. My question is, I have a Breville Juicer, I forget the model but it's the middle of the road one. It seems to kick out a lot of pulp from carrots and especially Kale. It seems like most of the leafy greens are kicked out into the pulp container. Is this normal and expected? Or is there a secret to juicing leafy veggies? I put it in stalk first, thinking it might make a difference but it didn't really. Any other tips, would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• ctdeanks
    ctdeanks Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You need to put something with more juice in WITH the kale.....I like pear/apple/orange slices, the extra juice helps the kale output. Hope this helps.
  • deeemarieee
    Options
    Usually when juicing with kale or spinach I like to make an apple sammich with the kale being smashed between 2 chunks of apples. This way it is more compacted and can't escape. Also, especially with kale I like to form a small handful of it into a tight ball.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Hi, I"m new to juicing but figured it was a good way to boost my veggie intake. My question is, I have a Breville Juicer, I forget the model but it's the middle of the road one. It seems to kick out a lot of pulp from carrots and especially Kale. It seems like most of the leafy greens are kicked out into the pulp container. Is this normal and expected? Or is there a secret to juicing leafy veggies? I put it in stalk first, thinking it might make a difference but it didn't really. Any other tips, would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Mix in something else while putting in the kale, also maybe chop it smaller or bigger depending on the size of the pieces you are putting in.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    What they said, but also there are lots of recipes for soup and things using pulp, to get the most out of the vegetables.
  • rainbowtiara
    Options
    I don't know dude. I tried to look for some articles to answer your question, but I can't find.
  • akrnrunner
    akrnrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'll try the sammich idea next Kale go around!
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I use a Breville 540.

A real easy trick is to feed kale & carrots together. Another trick I use is to make sure I'm buying long stem leafy Kale. the short fluffy stuff gets flung out before it touches the blade.