tdee set to sedentary, eating exercise calories

Options

Replies

• craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Well i started Sunday and have gain 4 1/2 lb 5 days, am assuming its water, change in calories etc and not permanent.

Could be alot of retention, especially if your sodium levels have spiked...that's a decent amount of retention though.

I know you probably do this but, are you being accurate with your calories in and exercise cals burned?

Also, it takes different people different amounts of time to "acclimate" to a sharp increase in calories. Some level out after 2 weeks, some it takes longer, like 4 weeks.

So I would give it at least another couple of weeks before you re-assess...keep weighing yourself and if it doesn't "settle" down, then you may need to make some "adjustments".

I wish you great success!
  • psicocat
    psicocat Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi

Yeah I am as accurate as I can be and under log my activity incase it amounts are over, I log everything and weigh everything lol i am like a mad woman :)
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I'm on maintenance and that's what I do. I keep my set my activity to sedentary and just log all my workouts, dog walks etc., so far I've been maintaining for about two years.

Same here.

8488541.png
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I just checked your diary and it looks like you're at 1450, not 1200. Is that correct?

This is just me, but I have found that I cannot lose weight unless I do these 3 things:

(1) weigh and measure everything that I consume;

(2) exercise at least 5 days a week and be very careful with how many calories I record as burned, and only record "real exercises," not walking, cleaning, etc. unless that is used as a serious underestimation. I currently run only about 20-25 km a week but I do it in sand and I lift weights between 60-90 minutes 4 days a week. I'm in the process of losing weight again after a bulking cycle and I found, once again, that this is key. For example, while I did record walking as exercise today, I spent 8 hours on the beach today playing with my kids and constantly carrying stuff back in forth through sugar sand and I recorded that as 1 hour of 2mph pace and 1 hour of 3 mph pace. I only sat for about 2 hours during that time; and

(3) use the sedentary or moderately active settings depending on how active I am.

You also have other health problems that are giving you fits with moving around. That means that you are probably right with the sedentary setting. I will also highly recommend strength training to help with muscle building and/or muscle maintenance as you lose. It made all the difference for my wife and she also has a variety of health issues.
  • psicocat
    Options
    yeah 1450 is my tdee - 20% i sometimes eat all my exercise calories if its a hungry day, mostly i stick to a max of 80%

i exercise in some way everyday, i do log walking as that is my main exercise at the moment, most other stuff is a no no at the moment.

i weigh everything that passes my lips and am accurate. Same with exercise, i just number on a couple of sites and on a mobile app i have and go with the lowest.

So think i am doing all i can, just need to wait for the weight to start heading down now :)
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    The method that you are using is exactly what I have used except for the first few weeks while I learned what was what. Works for me!

As far as breaking a stall, my sister was stuck for 5 months eating 1200. I urged her to follow our method and after 3 weeks at 1600 and eating at least half of her exercise calories back she started losing again.
  • EJSunflower
    EJSunflower Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I changed my setting to sedentary as well(I work from home and sit at a desk most of the day) and have found that this setting has worked great for me. I eat back most of my exercise calories on work out days and did finally lose more weight as long as i'm consistent I know i'll drop more with this method. Also I do 45 min of cardio and about 30 min of weight training at least 4 days a week...I've also worked at increasing my protein intake to support and assist with muscle gains that is also helping me lose..more muscle more fat burning...
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    yeah 1450 is my tdee - 20% i sometimes eat all my exercise calories if its a hungry day, mostly i stick to a max of 80%

i exercise in some way everyday, i do log walking as that is my main exercise at the moment, most other stuff is a no no at the moment.

i weigh everything that passes my lips and am accurate. Same with exercise, i just number on a couple of sites and on a mobile app i have and go with the lowest.

So think i am doing all i can, just need to wait for the weight to start heading down now :)

I agree. Patience is a good approach. Otherwise you run the risk of pushing your calorie consumption down too fast.

Also, running the risk of pushing too hard here, but if you can figure out a way to lift weights, then do so. Contrary to popular belief, it can solve a lot of problems with lower back, shoulder and knee pain by strengthening those muscle groups. I've seen this work for friends with these issues as well as fibromyalgia. Talk to your doctor, don't be afraid to find a doctor with sports experience, and work into it with caution.
  • Rachelmilloy
    Rachelmilloy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Painterdee
    Painterdee Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am in my early 50's, change of life and all that. I am close to my goal ...15 last pounds to go. And I too have struggled like you. I got discouraged and stopped tracking for a couple of weeks. But I'm back again and I'm very interested in your updates to see your progress. Please keep us current with your progress. I too am trying to glean from others success stories.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I did exactly that. I am not particularly sedentary, but I'm 54 and I think my metabolism was slow. Without that I didn't lose.

Set to sedentary and log walking to work, gardening, biking etc. and the pounds came right off.

And yes, I happily eat my exercise calories when I'm hungry. With MFP putting me at 1230, I am thrilled to have an extra hundred here or there.
  • psicocat
    Options
    Hi
    after an initial weight gain I lost my gained weight and a extra 3/4lb this week so looks like its starting to work, this is a TOM week too so a weight loss is unusual for me :)
  • hseipel12
    hseipel12 Posts: 26
    Options
    I'm thinking about switching to this method. My problem is, I keep getting conflicting calculations. Does anyone have an accurate BMR/TDEE calculator? I'm getting a 150 calorie difference from using google results.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I just posted a success story about this. I eat 2,000-2,200 a day and have only 3 days of intentional exercise (strength training) per week. Life is good. :smile:

ETA - I eat approx TDEE-10% or -200 cals per day based on FitBit Flex.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1003122-12mos-46-pounds-lost-heavy-lifting-mom-5-8
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Sedentary TDEE for goal weight + eating back at least some of my exercise calories has been working well for me. This was about TDEE-20% at my original weight, about TDEE-15% the last time I checked, and keeps me above my BMR. My only problem has been that I tend to push it too hard with exercise on the weekends (partially because I like the extra flexibility for my eating then), and end up on Monday hobbling down the stairs. :grumble:

In general, I am wildly variable with my activity, so I like to keep "extra" calories tied in with the exercise that supports them.
  • 257_Lag
    Options
    Hi
    after an initial weight gain I lost my gained weight and a extra 3/4lb this week so looks like its starting to work, this is a TOM week too so a weight loss is unusual for me :)

And a BIG WOO HOO! to the OP! So happy for you! :flowerforyou:
  • 257_Lag
    Options
    I'm thinking about switching to this method. My problem is, I keep getting conflicting calculations. Does anyone have an accurate BMR/TDEE calculator? I'm getting a 150 calorie difference from using google results.

All calculators are just a close estimate. If you are within 150 go for it! Pick a number and stick it out for a month. If it works? Great! If not adjust by 100. It works.
  • red8424
    red8424 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • wendimlee
    wendimlee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!