Consumer Reports on Protein Shakes

Options

Replies

• msciccone1
    msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Wow that is interesting...would like to see what others say. I stopped taking mine just because I am eating enough protein and don't feel it is necessary. Thanks for sharing.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    i like protein shakes and i will always drink them. one time eggs were bad, you can eat too much meat and so on. ill keep drinking mines and anyone is silly to really think there is magic in protein shakes. it just a shake. i always chalk these things up to too much of anything is bad. just common sense.

xoxo.
    nikki
    ******144pounds down!!! 31 more pounds to go*****
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I can't say it has completely scared me away. I try to limit my dependence on protein shakes, but I am trying a higher protein nutrition plan for the summer and good, clean, well-raised, hormone-free (etc. etc. etc.) protein sources are EXPENSIVE, however you cut it. Yes, beans and legumes and dairy have protein, but they also have carbohydrates, so seeking the right macronutrient balance for what I am trying is impossible using only those source. As pinkmoon mentioned, there are bad things about just about any food you can find. I mean, they talk about chicken and eggs being cheaper, but um... not the free range chicken and cage-free eggs that I try to buy! There's mercury in tuna, there's pesticides in non-organic vegetables, etc, etc. It seems you just can't win. At least the Optimum Nutrition stuff that I use seems to be lower in most of the tested areas.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I had no idea that drinking 3 or more servings a day was common for people. I'll have 1 serving a day 2-3 days a week if I'm very low on protien or in a rush post workout. I'd rather get my calories from food then drinks anyway.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Completely aside from this article, I dropped the shakes a couple weeks ago and my stomach feels so much better. I'd rather just eat more hardboiled eggs or meat for protein, to be honest.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I drink 1-2 per day. I just found this interesting. I was thinking of switching to an all natural protein shake before reading this report only because we've gone all natural at home. I do agree that you shouldn't have too much of anything but now I've taken on the mindset that anything not all natural is not worth eating (if I can control it).
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I drink 1-2 per day. I just found this interesting. I was thinking of switching to an all natural protein shake before reading this report only because we've gone all natural at home. I do agree that you shouldn't have too much of anything but now I've taken on the mindset that anything not all natural is not worth eating (if I can control it).

I'd like to know what products you are considering. The protein powder I use is basically the only processed food I buy except some bread and, like, pre-made salsa. I've been thinking that once I use up the stuff I have, I should switch or go to buying gigantic tubs of pasteurized egg whites (they sell 1-gallon jugs on Amazon).
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I had no idea that drinking 3 or more servings a day was common for people. I'll have 1 serving a day 2-3 days a week if I'm very low on protien or in a rush post workout. I'd rather get my calories from food then drinks anyway.

This, I have one maybe 3 times a week. usually cause I dont have time for a reallunch so I will make up my version of a java chip frapp protien shake (YUM!) but I dont use them as meal replacements on daily basis. I guess like most things all things in moderation.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking them everyday for a week, just one time, right after my work outs. I'm working on getting more eggs into my diet so that I only drink the protein shake after strength training. This hasn't scared me, because like others have said, anything in excess is not good for you. Right now, it's hard for me to fit in the 25g of protein I get from my shake in other places...not because I don't want to eat them but because I eat protein at every meal and every snack and frankly, I'm full on what I eat now so there's no way I could eat more protein and not be STUFFED!
  • lvfunandfit
    Options

I'd like to know what products you are considering. The protein powder I use is basically the only processed food I buy except some bread and, like, pre-made salsa. I've been thinking that once I use up the stuff I have, I should switch or go to buying gigantic tubs of pasteurized egg whites (they sell 1-gallon jugs on Amazon).

I'm looking at these:
    https://www.visalussciences.com/bbvi_us/bbviwelcome.aspx?wid=f5022e60-bcb0-4398-b2cd-8555cdfeff55&ID=
    http://shakeology.com/web/shakeology/recipes-chocolate
    http://www.7naturallaws.com/products/The-Natural-Whey-Protein-Powder
    http://www.energyfirst.com/

I still buy processed snack foods for my kids.. but they are all natural processed foods. IMO a little better. I buy Fresh made salsa from the deli (it's so good, why make my own?) and I buy all natural sprouted grain bread.
  • emederos
    emederos Posts: 25
    Options
    Ugh. Consumer reports and nutrtition. No thanks.

Protein shakes, like everything else in life, are fine in moderation. They're a good way to supplement protein intake or good for a meal replacement if you can't take in a solid healthy meal. If you're looking to build any sort of decent physique then you should be looking to supplement about 0.7g of protein per pound of body weight (most people just round off to 1g of protein for body weight.)

For example, I weigh in at 177lbs, so my protein intake should be around 124g per day. (I round off to 1g/per pound and shoot for 177g). It's easier (and more calorie/carb friendly) to reach that number when supplementing with a shake.

I'd suggest Optimum Nutrtion's line (ON Whey). Usually within 100 calories per serving with about 26g protein and less than 3g carbs.
  • lvfunandfit
    Options
    I agree! Consumer reports can make everything sound bad. I was contemplating going to an all natural protein shake when I decided to make the switch to eating all natural foods anyhow. I just feel that the fake ingredients are not something my body needs. I've been drinking muscle milk at 130 cals per serving and 26 g of protein with 2 g of carbs. Pretty much inline with most protein shakes. It's just going to take testing them out to see which one I like best.

I agree... they are optimal for building muscle and getting lean. It is very difficult to eat enough protein from solid food. I have drank them for years for breakfast (right when I get up I make one) and again after work outs (Or I eat a Greek yogurt).
    I eat between 80-120 grams of protein per day (I btwn 122/123 lbs).
  • KDuckGirl
    KDuckGirl Posts: 32
    Options
    what about soy protein?
  • Duganhorse
    Duganhorse Posts: 55
    Options
    what about soy protein?

I have been hearing a lot of bad things about most soy products. I recently came accross this article about soy that I found interesting. That being said, I do use soy protein a few times a week in shakes if I am low on preotein for the day.

Genetically modified organisms (GMOs) are the
    result of laboratory processes that artificially insert
    foreign genes into the DNA of food crops. Those
    genes may come from bacteria, viruses, insects,
    animals or even humans.

Although banned by food manufacturers in Europe
    and elsewhere, the FDA does not require any
    safety evaluations.

GMOs have not been proven to be safe, but have
    been in the food supply since 1996 and are now
    present in the vast majority of processed foods in
    the U.S.

For example, in The Natural Diet Solution for
    PCOS and Infertility ebook, the authors do not
    include soy in their recommended diet. They also
    strongly recommend consumption of organic (non-
    GMO) foods.

Why would they say that?

They outlined several reasons, one of which is the
    genetic modification of soy beans. Most of the soy
    consumed in the United States is made from
    genetically modified (GMO) soybeans.

It seems odd that there has not been a lot of
    published research on the long-term health effects
    of GMO foods such as soy. Does the food
    industry have something to hide?

However, there are whiffs of information starting
    to surface to suggest that GMO foods such as soy
    may adversely affect your health, including your
    fertility and the fertility of your offspring.

We were alerted to this problem by two
    unconnected bits of research. You may recall that
    we reported the first published case of a woman
    with PCOS who had hair growth in her mouth.
    We were inclined to dismiss this as an unexplained
    freak oddity.

And then we were surprised to discover a report
    about an unpublished Russian study of hamsters
    also growing hair in their mouths.

And guess what? The hamsters that had hair
    growing in their mouths consumed GMO soy for
    two years -- the same genetically modified (GM)
    soy that is produced on over 90 percent of the soy
    acreage in the US.

In contrast, hamsters eating non-GMO soy did not
    grow hair in their mouths.

Secondly, the second generation of hamsters in the
    GMO soy group had slower growth rates, reached
    sexual maturity later, had fewer pups, with a 25%
    infant mortality.

The third-generation hamsters were all sterile!

Folks, we have no idea what genetically modified
    foods are doing to our bodies.

Please go to our site to read the complete article
    and view a very important video that could affect
    your future:
    www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/news107.html#sec2
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    You can find non-GMO soybean products though. They usually state the fact in big letters on the carton, box, etc.
  • geonomix
    Options
    I enjoy Visalus because of its nutrition content, price, and flavor that tastes like cake mix. I highly suggest it

I have tried so many and nothing compares. It gives you a boost of energy and they make it so simple because you are not stuck to one flavor. I have also seen diabetic patients be cleared. Some amazing stuff compared to Shakeology and the other stuff that is just not good in flavor, and price give or take its nutritious content.

It contains soy protein isolate with a bit of whey. 75 grams of sodium and 90 grams of carbs. You can't beat that. Mix it with water, milk, soy, almond, or rice milk., Made to lose or maintain weight and gain lean muscle.