What? No running allowed! Now what??

Options
lutzsher
lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
Well, got some bad news from my doctor . . . I have terrible knees. I grew up very active in the track team and did major amounts of long distance running in my youth . . . now this was in the early 80's when we had about 3 choices of running shoes, not the specificly designed ones like today for each type of activity. I burned out my knees and had surgery on my left knee by my 16th birthday to remove some shredded cartilage and refused to do the other knee because the recovery was terrible.
I am just over 40 now and have been advised that I had advanced osteoarthritis in that knee, and the other is close behind it. I have been advised that under no circumstances should I do any running, or anything that is not "low impact" as a result.
I really like running, it is one of those activities that I really feel gives me the intensity that Im looking for to get a really good "workout burn". I often have to ice and take an Advil afterwards but still enjoy this activity.

I do go swimming already twice per week but my doctor has advised that the best activity for my knee is walking as I should do "weight bearing" exercise to help strengthen it. Without being able to turn that fast walk into a run I am now at a bit of a loss as to what I can do to still give me that really good intensive lung burning workout.

My husband and I do go for hour, or more, long walks evenings and although I do feel slighly winded (he is much taller than I so I really have to work at it to keep up to him, ha ha) it is not as intensive as I would like, what I get from running.

Since this is one of my favorite means of exercise Im rather bummed. I have tried an eliptical and one of those cross country skiing type machines and find that they are really hard on my knees so those are not an option. I already have a stationary bike and do use that . . . but again I just don't find that it has the intensity of running and of course is not "weight bearing" as my doctor suggested. I am going to put the incline up on my treadmill and see how that feels on my knee but just don't know what else to try to continue to have varied activities.

Any suggestions on low impact but high intensity workouts are VERY appreciated, oh, and I cannot twist my knee either and wear a brace that limits my movements during exercise.

Replies

• LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    You may feel silly doing it, but try adding upper body punching while you're walking. It'll get your heart rate up higher and you'll still be getting the low-impact weight-bearing exercise your knee needs.

Other than that, this may sound insane, but I think you should *RESEARCH* barefoot running (don't just scoff at the thought of it -- look into it :wink:).
    My running injuries were nowhere as extensive as yours (I just had tendonitis & shin splints) but since I started running "barefoot" nearly 2 months ago, I've been completely chronic pain & injury free. I've read so many similar stories -- injury plagued running with commercial running shoes, switching to "barefoot"(you don't actually have to run barefoot) & then being injury free. I started by reading "Running Fast and Injury Free" by Gordon Pirie. You can find it free online many places. I'm currently reading "Born to Run."
  • emederos
    emederos Posts: 25
    Options
    Unless you're doing interval training, sustained distance running is not an effective fat burning exercise.

Look into Tabata exercises. There are high-intensity four minute interval exercises that fry fat. You can build your own Tabata from any exercise group.

Find Tabata fully explained here.:
    http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/six_new_tabata_workouts_for_fast_fat_loss

I know you're sitting there going, "4 minutes? pfffttt." Trust me, try it and let me know if you get past minute 2 at first.

Good luck.
  • Earthagirl
    Options
    You are going to get so much advice, but can you do the elliptical trainer. I have no idea if I spelled this right, but I have one and I don't like it as much as running on the treadmill, but it is a nice workout. Also, a friend of mine has one of those machines that is like walking in sand-as advertised on tv and she loves it and looks great.
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone videos--especially the longer ones--3-4-5 miles. You can do them all low impact, but with the arm movements, etc, you can get your heart rate up just about as high as you want/need. She has some that involve light jogging too, but there are always folks who stay low impact. I've appreciated the workouts.
  • disneyfetishboy
    disneyfetishboy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Just to follow up with what Littlespy recommended: I also was a high school runner who had some pretty tough injuries that forced me to give it up. Mine were mostly ankle/mid-foot related, but I was not able to solve them for a long time, and they effectively also took me away from basketball and martial arts, the two fitness activities that I loved the most!

I made the switch to barefoot/minimalist running in the past few months, and have been running pain free since. Two weekends ago, I was able to squeeze in about 6 miles of running pain-free (other than calf soreness). This past weekend, I was quite happy to play 4 hours of hoops and do 2 hours of martial arts without a problem, something I had not done for quite awhile. Previously, either of those activities or even a short run of a mile or so would have had me practically unable to walk.

I never had cartilage trimmed (just orthotics, a ton of ice, cortizone), so you should do some research and consult your doctor first, but perhaps there's hope.

PS - If this doesn't work, I would strongly recommend you look at swimming!
  • poisonapple
    poisonapple Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Elliptical Runner/stair climber? It's 0 impact like the elliptical but you can control your stride so you can do anything from stair-climb to jogging to a full run. I don't have knee problems but I have back problems (I'm also an ex-runner) and this is the only way I found I can still feel like I'm running without the impact on my body.
    Good Luck!!
  • LosingLizard
    Options
    Can you run in the pool? I was watching a documentary on running recently and a marathon runner who injured herself was doing PT by running on a treadmill that was underwater. I have seen them use this method to help dogs strength their legs as well.

It's not the same, I'm sure, but it would be low/no impact and it's not nearly as easy as it sounds. :)
  • cabrzama
    cabrzama Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was told in 2003 that I have arthritis in my knees and to give up running. I ran x-country in 12th grade and played lots of other sports in high school but was not a runner, per se. So when I took it up in 2002 and was losing weight fast from it I thought it was wonderful, but maybe the pounding of a heavy body was too much.

I am 40 now too and started running again last year, but only in brief stints. I usually just run 15 minutes each day, occasionally I will get up to 30 minutes. And I increased the incline on the treadmill to 2% to minimize the impact--so my feet don't get off the ground too much. This seems to have kept my arthritis at bay, in fact I have gone a few stints of several weeks with almost no arthritis pain at all.

I also started taking (once in a while) this African Ginger stuff my brother in law sells. He's one of those herbologist-type people. I thought, "whatever--I don't need that stuff." But my mom (who is 74) started taking it for inflamation in her joints and it worked well for her, so I tried it. I have to agree it does, by some measure reduce inflammation and thus my knees felt a little better. So maybe it works--tastes nasty--kinda burns your mouth so I mix it with juice once every few weeks.

Anyway, I sympathize as I do enjoy running also. In addition to a little bit of running, I like to use stair climbers, ellipiticals (my gym has three different kinds of ellipitcals), bikes, walking and sometimes like to find a really steep hill and walk it, or even run it a bit. Hope this helps!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Thank-you everyone so much for your suggestions!
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I was 13 when I had terrible knee problems. The doctor told me that I wasn't allowed to walk for a year and then for an additional year, I wasn't allowed to run. But he told me that I could bike as much as I wanted to since it was good for my knees. I still bike a lot. I like to take it easy now and enjoy myself but at one point I was into bike racing and I can tell you that you can get your heart rate pumping pretty high on a bicycle if you really want to. It's my favorite sort of exercise. If you feel biking is too easy for you, you can attach a trailer and load weights in it. I have towed my 55 lb dog in it and you add that to a hill and there's no limit to how high you can get your heart rate!
  • correen_b
    correen_b Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I understand loving an activity and then SCREECH - it's bad for you. I was presented with the same choice you are facing - find something else or have your mobility affected down the road. I heard the words "shave" your hips bones down and the choice was clear to me - take care of myself and save my joints.

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my hips when I was 29 - I was a bit peeved because it hit me about 25 years too soon (it runs in my family so I knew it show it's ugly head eventually). I have been in denial ever since (just celebrated my 39th) Mind over matter - I am too young and that attitude helps with pain immensely. Damp rainy daysstill get me pretty bad but as soon as the weather clears I am fine!

I power walk at my Aus. Cattle Dog's pace (which is pretty hyper) which includes a few short running intervals. I do daily toning exercises with weights and daily strenghtening exercises I learned from my last stint in Phy. Therapy.

I absolutely love swimming. You can get a mean workout in a pool and the resistance is incredible. Laps may help you get your intensity fix and you can do a ton of all over toning exercises in the water. Pilates is also really cool - yoga puts me to sleep - but I found some pilates videos that are a great workout and they strengthen the weak parts.

I hope that helps you out - take care of those knees you need them for a long time.

Correen

BTW- Green Tea - I read once that it slows the acceleration of arthritis (amongst the list of other great things it does). I drink 32 ounces a day (it counts as your water) - I figure it can only help.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Just to follow up with what Littlespy recommended: I also was a high school runner who had some pretty tough injuries that forced me to give it up. Mine were mostly ankle/mid-foot related, but I was not able to solve them for a long time, and they effectively also took me away from basketball and martial arts, the two fitness activities that I loved the most!

I made the switch to barefoot/minimalist running in the past few months, and have been running pain free since. Two weekends ago, I was able to squeeze in about 6 miles of running pain-free (other than calf soreness). This past weekend, I was quite happy to play 4 hours of hoops and do 2 hours of martial arts without a problem, something I had not done for quite awhile. Previously, either of those activities or even a short run of a mile or so would have had me practically unable to walk.

I never had cartilage trimmed (just orthotics, a ton of ice, cortizone), so you should do some research and consult your doctor first, but perhaps there's hope.

The OP clearly stated that she had diagnosed osteoarthritis. She has already consulted her doctor. He was adamant that she not run, due to the documented structural damage to her knees.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

The OP clearly stated that she had diagnosed osteoarthritis. She has already consulted her doctor. He was adamant that she not run, due to the documented structural damage to her knees.

Barefoot running is far easier on the knees than regular running (I'd say it's easier on the knees than walking for me & my patellar tendonitis). My understanding is that plenty of people who have been told to "never" run again by their physicians are highly successful with barefoot running with no health issues. This is why I suggested she *research* the technique/form. :smile: Perhaps her doctor is unfamiliar with barefoot running. If that's the case, it is possible to find another doctor to guide you if it's something you're truly interested in doing. :wink:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Barefoot running is far easier on the knees than regular running (I'd say it's easier on the knees than walking for me & my patellar tendonitis). My understanding is that plenty of people who have been told to "never" run again by their physicians are highly successful with barefoot running with no health issues. This is why I suggested she *research* the technique/form. :smile: Perhaps her doctor is unfamiliar with barefoot running. If that's the case, it is possible to find another doctor to guide you if it's something you're truly interested in doing. :wink:

There is no conclusive proof that "barefoot running is easier on the knees than regular running". Some people have had success with it--others have been injured by it.

Patellofemoral tendinitis is a qualitative and structurally different type of condition than osteoarthritis. Some of the treatments of PFT are the exact opposite of what you would prescribe for osteoarthritis.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I will admit I did not read all the replies so maybe its been said, but bike riding is a great alternative, lower impact but you can still get a good leg workout, elevate HR and you will feel like you did something.