Feel like giving up.

Options
Today is weigh in and i stood on the scales they said 11.10lbs yey ive lost 3lbs this week 9lbs total, for some reason i decide to step on again to make sure now its 11.12lbs and i repeat this several times.no change so now its 1lb this week and 7lb in total this is the begining of week 4 of dieting, i am going to the gym 4 times a week, i've ate no more than 1200 calories a day this week, i've been unwell over the weekend so i thought that might have helped.a bit...clearly it hasnt i will admit i had some chocolate cake and custard last night but it must have been too heavy on my stomach and it was brought back up. I cant unerstand the weight situatiom i wish i never got back on the scales i thought i would have more than 1lb weightloss this week. Im starting to think what os the point. I am adding breakfast to my diet this week as i am not a fan of breakfast but i've heard eat more lose more. Has anyone else had a expierience like this or any advice i really dont want to give up.

Replies

• Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like you're eating enough, but other than that I don't see your problem. If you've lost 1 lb in a week, that's great. Healthy, sustainable weight loss is 1-2 lbs a week. It's a long, slow process. Adjust your expectations, start eating a bit more, and settle in for a long ride! :)
  • flikster76
    flikster76 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Omg, add breakfast! I was fat my whole life, never used to eat breakfast, struggled to get weight off. This time, I started eating in the morning, weight is coming off, I rarely get suger cravings and I have so much more energy, I now swear by breakfast! As for the weight situation, it happens, perhaps you're retaining water after being ill, your body will try to hold fluids if you have had a bout of vomiting. We all have a crappy weigh in now and then. Suck it up, try hard this week and reap tge rewards next weigh day. You may feel badly today, but not as bad as you will feel if you give up and end up heavier in a few weeks! Hang in there ;-)
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    What exactly is wrong with 1lb?

This is 1lb of fat:

tumblr_m5bihc2HTf1qiujqbo1_500_zpsde42c708.jpg

You are falling into the classic yo-yo dieter routine, obsessed with the scale and wanting to lose it all yesterday. 7lb in 4 weeks is a perfectly adequate, healthy weight loss. If you want to give up, then nothing anyone here can say will stop you. But this time next month, I guarantee you will wish you hadn't.

I'd also like to add, eating a reasonable amount of calories will make this whole journey a lot easier. Read this and try to work out a healthy calorie deficit. 1200 is not enough for most people, especially with all that exercise.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013?hl=road+map+2013
  • GiddyNZ
    GiddyNZ Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    When you are unwell your body will often hold on a bit of fluid, so don't stress about it.. keep at it for another week and weigh in the morning after a rest day when your body is relaxed.

Keep up the good work :)
  • sukifr
    sukifr Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    On the scales topic - that's how my have been!!

I can gain 5lbs within 3 attempts at weighing myself, so now I just weigh once THAT'S IT!! That one reading has to be the one that counts.

Also do you measure yourself as you may see more results that way, as size is more important than weight :-)
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    First off you are doing well with your loss so for your own sake don't give up.

Secondly you said" i've ate no more than 1200 calories a day this week" is this your net calories after exercising if not you have to eat back your exercise calories. I'm not sure if you understand what your TDEE and BMR are or mean so I will message you the road map.

As for how many meals to eat there is a lot of debate among people about this...on MFP and in professional circles, at the moment and I can only speak for me but I'm striving for 5 a day (personal preference at the moment). I would suggest trying not to eat late at night because you are not as active at these time and breakfast is usually a good thing...just my humble opinion.

Oh I see someone was kind enough to put up the roadmap link...well enough said good luck.
  • flikster76
    flikster76 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What is TDEE & BMR?
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't become obsessed with the scales, that way lies madness. I got to that stage, now I only weigh in once a week, first thing in the morning after peeing and then step away. If you keep weighing yourself you'll drive yourself crazy as your weight can fluctuate a lot and as someone else said, its important to eat back exercise calories and not to get into a deficit.

I lost no weight for five weeks as I only ate 1200 and was burning off 600. As soon as I started eating some of them back, the weight began to shift.

Plus, a good way is to measure inches as well. Sometimes, your weight won't go down but your measurements will xx
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
  • Nataliieexo
    Nataliieexo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, wow i didnt realise 1lb of fat was that much i feel bad for complaining now, i'll ignore the scales until next monday now and try harder this week, i just had breakfast for the first time in years so hopefully it helps with my weight loss goals, i say i could give up but i havent been to the gym since friday due to being unwell and i've been feeling bad about it, even though the gym kills me i quite like going. My biggest problem is im a picky eater so i dont have a wide range of food i.can eat without fearing i will get bored of the same food.