Post Weight Lifting Nutrition

Replies

• Protein is the only macronutrient we NEED to survive

u srs?

Yes. Our body makes glycogen in the pancreas (or the liver, correct me if I am wrong), and fat as well. If you are eating 0 grams of fat your hormones are gonna be completely wrecked, but you'll survive, carbs you can do with 0, yeah your insulin will be messed up, but you will survive. If you had 0 grams of protein your nitrogen balance would be screwed up and you wouldn't live very long at all, not to mention essential amino acids repair damaged tissues (muscle, organ, ect.)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I know that, when I coached soccer, I was taught that this idea -- of replenishing within the 30-45 minute window -- was pretty well accepted. They also said that chocolate milk was about the perfect balance of protein and sugar, as good as any Tiger Milk or other body building product was going to be.
    Now, the idea was that you were replenishing your muscle stores so you would recover better for the next day, and the next day's workout. Nothing more.
    Oh yeah, and . . . what we were taught was not that eating triggered insulin release, but that your muscle tissues were open for replenishment for 30-45 minutes, and then you insulin system kicked in, and it affected your muscle tissues and you could not replenish as well.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    I think it's funny how broscience evolves. Used to be eat every 3hrs and make sure you get your protein PWO. Now with lots of people on CBL, it's fast for as long as you can, eat only P&F before training and then mass carbs PWO.

Total macros intaken > any magical meal frequency.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    I don't consider Alan Aragon broscience that is for sure.
  • chrisdavey
    I don't consider Alan Aragon broscience that is for sure.

hell no!

His stance on CBL was pretty funny I must say. CBL seems like the broscience for powerlifters :laugh: (cause Mark Bell is shredded and is on CBL)
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    30-60 minute window postworkout is optimal for protein absorption and also for muscle glycogen replacement. if it is not done within that time period it can take up to 2-3 days to fully replace.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    The only thing I've heard for nutrient timing is any protein within 8 hours of exercise may SLIGHTLY have increased benefits, but PWO nutrition isn't that important to hitting daily macros.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Protein is the only macronutrient we NEED to survive

u srs?

Yes. Our body makes glycogen in the pancreas (or the liver, correct me if I am wrong), and fat as well. If you are eating 0 grams of fat your hormones are gonna be completely wrecked, but you'll survive, carbs you can do with 0, yeah your insulin will be messed up, but you will survive. If you had 0 grams of protein your nitrogen balance would be screwed up and you wouldn't live very long at all, not to mention essential amino acids repair damaged tissues (muscle, organ, ect.)
    lol. i guess survival is a relative term. u will probably be bed ridden, bald, yellow eyes, and about 40 lbs. u need essential fatty acids that ut body cannot make and alot of vitamins that r mostly found in carbs.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Stop breaking that dudes balls, he's just saying when you think of "essentials" they are found via protein and not through other sources.. stop getting butt hurt over nothing.
  • chrisdavey
    30-60 minute window postworkout is optimal for protein absorption and also for muscle glycogen replacement. if it is not done within that time period it can take up to 2-3 days to fully replace.

yeah nah.

PWO meal is very important if you are doing multiple glycogen depleting workouts in a short period or time ie. 1 day.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    It pops up every so often from concerned individuals that if you work out regularly or you don't consume enough calories, your body may burn muscle before fat during your fasting sleep. Given my eating enough and lack of exercise that intense, I don't lose any such sleep over losing muscle. I eat until dinner and go to bed on a light stomach.

Yet some work out at night, which begs for burning muscle before fat during sleep, so they end their day by stuffing themselves with slow-digesting protein and insist that meal timing doesn't matter. To stay within their calories they eat little or nothing during the day, which may put a damper on socializing at traditional meal gatherings.

This complete redesign of the daily rhythm may based on the notion of the body's metabolism and muscle building adapting better to a strenuous routine at night. So you reap a slight benefit at this one time and put in considerable efforts for the rest of the twenty four hours on the raised risk that a light wind might blow it all away.

Sorry, that was my little rant adding sleep to the discussion lol. Thanks for the article (real food!) and the various people's feedback. Here's another article, which talks about bigorexia, more properly termed muscle dysmorphia. I guess all the pieces somehow fit together.

Expert believes mental illness drives some bodybuilders
    http://brainerddispatch.com/stories/011900/upn_0119000027.shtml
  • 30-60 minute window postworkout is optimal for protein absorption and also for muscle glycogen replacement. if it is not done within that time period it can take up to 2-3 days to fully replace.

yeah nah.

PWO meal is very important if you are doing multiple glycogen depleting workouts in a short period or time ie. 1 day.

A simple weight lifting session is NOT going to even remotely "deplete" glycogen. Perhaps if you run a marathon every day, consuming 80 grams of fast digesting simple carbohydrates will be beneficial. For your average 45-90 minute weight lifting/cardio session, you aren't even burning an eight of your bodies glycogen stores.

For endurance athletes a post workout beverage, mainly comprised of iron, B vitamins and dextrose might be beneficial, saying that there is no fat or fiber in it (due to fat and fiber's regulation of blood glucose and insulin). For a weight lifting session that is finished off with 15 minutes of cardio, an immediate post workout meal is not necessary at all. This doesn't mean it is a bad thing to have, but idk about you guys, after Im squatting for an hour straight the last thing I feel like doing is having a shake.
  • It pops up every so often from concerned individuals that if you work out regularly or you don't consume enough calories, your body may burn muscle before fat during your fasting sleep. Given my eating enough and lack of exercise that intense, I don't lose any such sleep over losing muscle. I eat until dinner and go to bed on a light stomach.

Yet some work out at night, which begs for burning muscle before fat during sleep, so they end their day by stuffing themselves with slow-digesting protein and insist that meal timing doesn't matter. To stay within their calories they eat little or nothing during the day, which may put a damper on socializing at traditional meal gatherings.

This complete redesign of the daily rhythm may based on the notion of the body's metabolism and muscle building adapting better to a strenuous routine at night. So you reap a slight benefit at this one time and put in considerable efforts for the rest of the twenty four hours on the raised risk that a light wind might blow it all away.

Sorry, that was my little rant adding sleep to the discussion lol. Thanks for the article (real food!) and the various people's feedback. Here's another article, which talks about bigorexia, more properly termed muscle dysmorphia. I guess all the pieces somehow fit together.

Expert believes mental illness drives some bodybuilders
    http://brainerddispatch.com/stories/011900/upn_0119000027.shtml

i consider myself a bodybuilder, I am losing weight at 4100 calories a day, I could care less about slow digesting v fast digesting protein sources (if I had to chose between the 2 I would chose fast digesting protein every single time of the day, due to protein refractory period being a very very very slight issue). To generalize bodybuilders and say we are all have some form of body image distortion is about as logical as saying all Irish people are alcoholics
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Man I am staying out of success stories....someone is claiming unrealistic muscle game for their husband in 30 days.....thru Beachbody of course. Never going back there..too stressful :)
  • chrisdavey

yeah nah.

A simple weight lifting session is NOT going to even remotely "deplete" glycogen. Perhaps if you run a marathon every day, consuming 80 grams of fast digesting simple carbohydrates will be beneficial. For your average 45-90 minute weight lifting/cardio session, you aren't even burning an eight of your bodies glycogen stores.

Totally depends on rep ranges, sets and rest. Ultimate Diet 2 has 2 45-60min lifting sessions to fully deplete glycogen. For a typical strength program with lower reps, longer rest breaks (and probably less volume total) I'd agree that it is less important. Still that's the only time I bother about specific PWO macros.
  • fitnessfreddie
    fitnessfreddie Posts: 74 Member
    How would you know if your glycogen stores have been completely depleted??
  • 30-60 minute window postworkout is optimal for protein absorption and also for muscle glycogen replacement. if it is not done within that time period it can take up to 2-3 days to fully replace.

yeah nah.

Totally depends on rep ranges, sets and rest. Ultimate Diet 2 has 2 45-60min lifting sessions to fully deplete glycogen. For a typical strength program with lower reps, longer rest breaks (and probably less volume total) I'd agree that it is less important. Still that's the only time I bother about specific PWO macros.

Can you plz post the data from Ultimate Diet 2. If you were consuming under 50 grams of carbs for 5 weeks, yeah then it'd be possible to deplete most glycogen. I have 0 idea why anyone would be eating under 50 grams of carbohydrates a day. I can tell you damn sure cutting at 516 grams of carbs a day is a pretty simple task, and I have not once felt my glycogen is remotely depleted, not even after a high rep high volume squat day followed by 10 minutes of HIIT cardio
  • chrisdavey

yeah nah.

Can you plz post the data from Ultimate Diet 2. If you were consuming under 50 grams of carbs for 5 weeks, yeah then it'd be possible to deplete most glycogen. I have 0 idea why anyone would be eating under 50 grams of carbohydrates a day. I can tell you damn sure cutting at 516 grams of carbs a day is a pretty simple task, and I have not once felt my glycogen is remotely depleted, not even after a high rep high volume squat day followed by 10 minutes of HIIT cardio

I probably shouldn't for intellectual property reasons but it's higher rep ranges, low rest periods and yes it is a cyclical keto diet so under 50g of carbs is a requirement (for that period of time).

No you are never going to be fully depleted at that level of carbs. (and no it's not a necessity for cutting). Some just prefer cyclical diets.

yeah nah.

I probably shouldn't for intellectual property reasons but it's higher rep ranges, low rest periods and yes it is a cyclical keto diet so under 50g of carbs is a requirement (for that period of time).

No you are never going to be fully depleted at that level of carbs. (and no it's not a necessity for cutting). Some just prefer cyclical diets.

I have a very strong metabolism, hence why I can maintain weight at about 4500 calories a day. Eating under 50 carbs a day is stupid in my opinion, if you are doing that then perhaps a post workout beverage is a good idea, but again I have no idea why anyone would be doing a keto diet