i literally cannot eat fruit/veg

Options
whenever I have fruit or veg for a snack, I always get SO hungry afterwards. like, more hungry than I was before.... I have literally eaten every single fruit or veg I like as a snack and it happens with them all.

I do my best to eat veg with my evening meal because when im eating it with other foods it seems to help, but I get so worried because I never usually eat my 5 a day.

How can I get my 5 a day in???

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Add protein to your snack.
  • bleedingdesu
    bleedingdesu Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    How much do you usually eat? If you're going to eat the same amount of produce as you would, say, bread or a piece of meat, you're going to be hungrier. Many fruits and vegetables have MUCH fewer calories than grains, dairy, and meat, so you can/should be eating larger servings of them to meet your calorie goals.
  • PunyPete
    PunyPete Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Eat more fruit/veg as the snack. That might work. If you're still hungry after that drink more water.
  • snowmanluv
    snowmanluv Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Smoothies for the fruits and stir frys for the veggies. Goal is to have 5 veggie and 2 fruits a day. I had to cut back my fruit because of the sugar to 1. Eat salad at lunch add protein (chicken, turkey, tuna, ) will help to fight the hunger. Also eat throughout the day. Meals plus snacks. You can use your fruit or veggies as your snacks.
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options

This. A piece of cheese or some peanut butter with your apple, or celery, or whatever you have.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

this. or add fruit/veg to your meals. You can have 3 different veg in one meal, that's 3 servings already. Another serving with breakfast and another with lunch and you've got them all in without snacking on any fruit or veg

snacking on protein foods might be a better strategy if you don't find fruit or veg at all filling
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    You already hit on your solution: eat them with meals or with something. Like an apple with peanut butter is great. I don't do well with fruit or veggies as snacks in and of themselves because they leave me feeling empty too. Or worse, they can make me gassy. I try to have a salad *most* days for lunch or with lunch, then a couple vegetables for dinner. I'm not huge on fruit, but it can be a nice dessert.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Eat more fruit/veg as the snack. That might work. If you're still hungry after that drink more water.

I dare you to eat 4 large carrots. you wont make it past 2. and it will fill you up like crazy.

you need to increase the portion size, and maybe add good fats to the mix and maybe protein it will be even more effective.

i.e

spinach 1 cup
    alfalfa sprouts half cup
    20g of mixed nuts
    a few mixed seeds
    half a tomato choppped
    1/4 avocado
    mustard dressing

you can add roast potatoes to increase the awesomeness, or perhaps a battered white fish if your into that.

there is nooo way you could eat that, and not be full.
  • NC1994
    NC1994 Posts: 24
    Options
    I've tried eating loads, but with the amount I need to eat and the calories i'm eating, its not worth it. I try celery/carrots with humous but that doesn't help, and I eat apple with peanut butter which also doesn't help.

I will give the smoothie idea a go though. If I just make one big smoothie and drink it throughout the day, then i'll be getting my 5 a day but I can also snack on things that fill me up.

Thanks guys
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    It's odd, but I find a similar thing sometimes. It's particularly with low-calorie veg. If I have a lot of low-cal salad it gives me an empty feeling, as if I want to eat some "real" food!

I don't usually have fruit and veg as a snack, so I have to get my 5 a day in at mealtimes too. I think it helps if you're eating fruit and veg with other foods. Most of my intake is at midday and evening, often raw, salad-type veg midday and cooked veg in the evenings. I might have a stew with veg in it, and then serve it with carrot and swede mash, and some veg on the side, and that adds up to a good amount of veg! I avoid having huge salads (I do feel they make me hungry), and don't eat a lot of fruit.

I also aim for 5 a day as an average, so some days I might have a bit more, but other days a bit less. Pulses count towards the five a day, even baked beans, and they seem to be more filling than fruit and veg.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I've tried eating loads, but with the amount I need to eat and the calories i'm eating, its not worth it. I try celery/carrots with humous but that doesn't help, and I eat apple with peanut butter which also doesn't help.

I will give the smoothie idea a go though. If I just make one big smoothie and drink it throughout the day, then i'll be getting my 5 a day but I can also snack on things that fill me up.

Thanks guys

smoothie is a great way. add protein too for an even better effect

2 bananas <
    if you freeze them before, its like frozen yogurt
    yoghurt 125-150ml
    some forzen mixed berries
    optional good fats from coconut cream
    optional coco powder for chocolate flavour
    optional protein powder

epic. I have one every day.