Blood Type Diet

Options
Has anyone tried the Blood Type Diet. I have been visiting with a "wellness" doctor about my thyroid and she suggested the blood type diet. Was just wondering if anyone has had an success with it. Thank you

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    What is a wellness Doctor? Anyway if your Dr. did a simple 1st page google search, the tinfoil had should have beeped enough to cause someone to research further.........and discover it's bunk.
  • SamMorBelsmom
    SamMorBelsmom Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    stuffI have read on it. Seems very straight forward. lt stated some stuff about what each blood type craved and was pretty spot on for me. I will be waitingto see answers myself.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I think it's generally good advice to avoid anything called "The _____ Diet".

I do have a friend who had good results with it, but I'd wager her good results came from the fact she was just eating fewer calories overall. The weight did come back when she stopped the diet.
  • meglynne1987
    meglynne1987 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who follows this and seems to love it, although they are not doing it to lose weight but it seems to help with what they crave and what makes them feel slugish....etc..... I don't like anything that is a "Diet" You would really need a lifesty;e change. But the Blood Type Diet used as a lifestyle change could help. I have checked my blood type out through this diet and it seems like alot of my trigger foods were correct.... but everyone is diffrerent. :) Good Luck
  • htecm
    htecm Posts: 41
    Options
    I tried it for about a week. It didn't work for me. I found the cinnamon & honey worked better. I now add peanut butter to that and spread it on bread. Ask your doc before trying this because I knnow people who have had 'experiences' with it and had to give it up. Each website also says a diff dosage. I take 1 tsp of cinnamon to 1 Tbs of honey and 1 Tbs of peanut butter (thinking of cutting down on the peanut butter though-too much fat). I do this 1-2 times per day. But please ask your doctor first.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I read the Eat Right for Your Type book quite a few years ago and, while I'm not sure the science is really there, both my husband and I did find some things to be true. The weight part of is is just what someone else above me just said - fewer calories in can mean you lose weight. However, the two things we found to be true were interesting:

1. I have typo O and like my protein. I can lower my calories and not much happens to my weight, but if I add a little exercise, the scale does begin to move.

2. My husband has blood type A and gags over the thought of eating "blood" - which means he won't eat beef. He can get it down if I burn the heck out of it because then it doesn't taste like "blood" to him.

Not sure if either of those things has anything to do with the evolution of our blood type, but it was interesting to us.

One more thing relating to what someone before me said: holistic/wellness doctors follow the fringe, and typically they will offer solutions that are not part of our larger global economic structure. They are not part of our larger global economic structure (the big pharmaceutical companies) because the big money people can't make anything out of those solutions (i.e., money). If those solutions were really useful solutions for the greater masses, they'd be marketed by Merck, etc., and would be prescribed by the licensed providers. Not saying those "fringe" solutions don't help a few here and there, but by and large, not a huge success overall.

My unlicensed advice is to eat what your body craves anyway, but start by really limiting your sugar intake. The sugar really masked my brain's want for flavors of anything my body found useful, and once I got away from the sugar my brain started asking me to eat nuts and eggs and chicken.

Sorry for the ramble, and best of luck. This site has a ton of wonderful information, so find what works for YOU and enjoy!
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I haven't, however I have looked at it in the past. The thing with mixing biology with psychology to draw conclusions is that those conclusions are weak if anything.

Some people agree with the ecto-/meso-/endo- body types, but not the personality stereotypes that come with the somatotypes. Likewise for personality stereotypes associated with blood groups (as used in places like Japan).

Psychologists would probably disagree with me, but then their psychometric tests come up with a personality type that is the polar opposite of what the people who know me would say I am like.

A calorie deficit works. Whether you want to try blood type, paleo, or vegan, weigh the pros and cons and consider if you could do it for the rest of your life. When most people lose weight, their goal date is far enough away for them to build new habits and make dietary changes, and weight regain is sometimes due to an unsustainable dietary change and not learning to modify things (such as reducing intake when reducing activity level). If, however, it is approached like carb cycling (something short term), and you already know how to balance consumption with expenditure, you could probably try it and see if it works for you.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit works. Whether you want to try blood type, paleo, or vegan, weigh the pros and cons and consider if you could do it for the rest of your life. When most people lose weight, their goal date is far enough away for them to build new habits and make dietary changes, and weight regain is sometimes due to an unsustainable dietary change and not learning to modify things (such as reducing intake when reducing activity level). If, however, it is approached like carb cycling (something short term), and you already know how to balance consumption with expenditure, you could probably try it and see if it works for you.

Never seen it said better! This is a great explanation for yo-yo-dieting.