Exhaustion and Motivation...

Options
anj1030
anj1030 Posts: 153 Member
Good Morning Everyone...

I am currently training for my first triathlon (going on to week 6 of training with my coaches)...it's hard work, really hard...but I'm loving it. I feel amazing physically...but in all honesty...I'm freaking EXHAUSTED! I literally could sleep all day if it were allowed. Last week is when it began...not wanting to get up to go do my morning strength training, or dreading my swim/bike/run after work...what is going on with me!? Do I need some additional supplements?? If anyone can shed some light, I would really appreciate it!!!

PS - I try my best to get at least 7 hours of sleep every night...but there have also been a few nights where sleep isn't coming easy. Tossing and turning even with being this exhausted...super frustrating!!!

Replies

• anj1030
    Options
    I am also SUPER on edge...really irritable...which I'm contributing to being so tired as well...but maybe not????
  • Trimi
    Trimi Posts: 57
    Options
    Are you taking days off? 7 hours of sleep should be enough, but only if you're actually resting a day or two in a given week.
  • anj1030
    Options
    I typically take one day off per week. Some days I'm working out more than others. Today for example...I did strength training this morning for 45 minutes...tonight I am swimming...1500 meters (40 minutes or so). Tomorrow, I just have to cycle for an hour, then run afterwards (bricks).
  • tubzzy77
    tubzzy77 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Just curious how much did you increase your calorie intake by to accommodate the additional training for your triathlon?
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Are you taking days off? 7 hours of sleep should be enough, but only if you're actually resting a day or two in a given week.

I would suggest 8 or more if she is putting everything into it. As well, proper diet to allow for recovery.
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I vote for maybe eating a little bit more, and taking 2 days a week off. Trust me, the extra rest day can make a huge difference. If you can't afford 2 days a week off, limit 2 days to no more then 30 minutes of training. Also make sure you are getting enough b12, I always get low on energy if I forget my supplement.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    All the symptoms you list, particularly restless sleep, indicate overtraining. You need to back off and recover. This can mean taking some time off or just reducing training intensity and training easy for a week or two. Either way, the goal is to reduce accumulated fatigue so that you can once again hit the workouts hard. The one thing I can tell you for sure is that continuing what you are doing now will only dig you deeper into the hole.

Your coaches should be able to recognize this if you talk to them and explain all the symptoms.
  • anj1030
    Options
    Wow! Thanks Guys. Calories...well, I'm staying about the same except on my heavy training days...I do take in about 200-500 more those days. But I am also trying to drop some pounds. I'm only training about 8 hours per week...but some of those days are HARD training. I will talk to my trainer/coach and see what she says. It's just getting to be a little overwhelming...and maybe I do need to back off a little. I really appreciate your input!!!