Exercising...ALONE!

Nlongenecker
Nlongenecker Posts: 765
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I am really struggling with exercising. I just am not motivated, or maybe I have too many excuses. But I have not been successful in just MAKING myself do it. When DH is around (working locally) we will ride bikes or walk and for awhile we did P90X together. But he now works out of town, so it's all up to me. I like taking classes (zumba, kickboxing, etc.) because there are other people. But it seems silly when I have plenty of DVD's, treadmill, bike and the weather is nice to walk/jog outside. Plus, DH doesn't want me to spend the money on classes/gym. I know that a lot of people use their workout time as their "alone" time to collect their thoughts. But I am alone all the time (not counting work). DH does come home Thurs-Sun. I just need buddies or accountability to someone...or something to get me going.

Replies

• Nlongenecker
    Nlongenecker Posts: 765
    Sorry for the triple post. My screen didn't show it was doing anything and I wasn't patient enough I guess...hit button 3x. SORRY :-(
  • mlv333
    mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
    Absolutely, I found out after I joined a gym that my best childhood neighborhood friend who I hadn't seen in many many years just so happened to already belong to. I was thrilled just to be able to see her on a regular basis, and I had a weight loss partner. Her workouts were way more intense then mine. She was obese and I only overweight. She's lost 60, and I've lost 30. I owe a lot of my poundage to her. I wouldn't have gone to the gym so much. I really just wanted to hang out. So I hope you can find the same thing I have right now. I find it easier to go exercise when it's a social event.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    I am very self motivated because I know the outcome! It is something I do with or without somebody!!! If you feel you have to have someone ,then get a neighbor to walk with you. Go first thing in the morning so it is DONE and NOTHING can deter it. Use death as your only excuse for not being able to go walk for an hour (really what is one hour out of your day)! Start by walking for an hour at a pace that makes you breathe harder, then take routes that have hills, then say we will walk this far in this amount of time etc;etc;!! Lay your clothes/shoes etc; out the night before so you are ready to rock & roll first thing in the morning!! It will become a habit and you will benefit in so many ways!!! I have not missed a day of exercise since Christmas day and my goal is to not miss any! So please nobody die!!! LOL I wish you great health and that takes exercise!!! Best wishes!!
  • cln714
    cln714 Posts: 174 Member
    I had the same problem. I actually went to an online site called exercisefriends.com. They connect you with other people in your area with the same interests, who also would prefer to exercise with someone. Over the years I've connected with two woman to go walking with. They're both great!! One lady ended up moving out of the country and the other lady I still currently walk with 3xs a week. We've become good friends. Of course when you meet someone online you have to be smart about it. Meet in a public place and be cautious at first as you would with any person you are just getting to know.

Anyway, you have to do what works for you. If you desire to exercise with people, maybe put the word out in your neighborhood, join a team sport, or go online to find someone. I've learned that you have to go after the things you want in life.

Good luck! :)
This discussion has been closed.