Summer heat.

Options
Summer is here, and in my part of the country, that means hot and humid. I've always had a low tolerance for heat, but I've been wanting to run the mile and a half to and from work to get my exercise in daily.
Does anyone have any tips for helping out with the heat? And ideas on how to not be absolutely miserable on the run? All advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    It takes about 3 weeks for the body to become acclimated to the heat. You just have to slow down a bit from your normal pace. After a few weeks, you'll see the pace come back to where it was before with the same level of effort. Not to mention, it's only a mile and a half. So you'll be hot for what, 15 minutes, give or take a few minutes? :smile:
  • WilmaDennis91
    WilmaDennis91 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Always drink plenty of water! You could spritz yourself a little on your skin to help cool down.
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Invest in some cooling gear, make sure you stay hydrated at all times, and make sure you have sunscreen on :) I trained for a half marathon during the hottest months of the summer in Texas, I've been there!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I really felt it this weekend. Saturday was an easy run so I didn't care and walked a couple times just to cool off. Sunday morning it was 74 degrees and nearly 80% humidity when I went out. I was aiming for a 16 mile run but ended up walking after 14.3. I did all 16 miles but let's just say my pace was closer to 18:00 that last mile and a half.

Energy-wise I felt pretty good. Leg's felt great and I wasn't struggling to keep the legs moving. 7 miles @9:00, then 4 @ 8:30, switched back to a 9:00 pace after that and that should have been a nice comfortable run. I did 15 at an 8:35 average the week before but it was about 55 degrees that morning.

I my belt has two 6 oz. water bottles that I take with an energy shot. I'm thinking I need to bring more water along on these longer runs when it's warmer. I'm positive it was a hydration issue yesterday because my legs aren't even sore this morning so they weren't overworked at all. Perhaps adding another 8 oz. bottle to the belt would be enough. I think I just needed a bit more to push me through that last 3 miles.

I have 3 more weeks till this half so I suppose that's enough time to get ready for this. The temps should be just about the same race day as it was yesterday. There will be people handing out water during the race so this won't be an issue then.
  • emilygracee
    emilygracee Posts: 20
    Options
    I'll just have to get used to it. I think I'll wake up earlier to beat the heat in the mornings. I like the idea of a spray bottle too!
  • autumnrunning
    autumnrunning Posts: 103
    Options
    Ugh, I hate the heat...

I only run on early mornings or in the evening... and hoping for rainy/cloudy days.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE!

Nothing is worse than going to the ER for dehyration post workout.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Wear less, and run earlier. It's only going to get hotter out.
  • txbandman
    txbandman Posts: 78
    Options
    I'm right with you on having to deal with the heat - summer has arrived in So TX! You probably already are, but if not, make sure you are running in tech gear - much cooler and more comfortable than cotton.
  • ernestbecker
    ernestbecker Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem on a bike in Texas. Hydrate, and go early if you can.