success tips that helped you the most

Options
bushokie
bushokie Posts: 180 Member
What tips have you learned through the weight loss process that would help others

Replies

• workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Don't ever give up, give in or quit! You are worth every last bit of effort that you can muster!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Logging everything I eat. No cheat days ( I hate that term!) Staying under my calorie goal every day. Eating what I want, but in sensible amounts. Exercising..... living on a farm, that comes easy. Knowing that the only one responsible for my progress is me, the choices are mine to make. AND MOST IMPORTANT---SELF CONTROL.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Use a food scale and weigh everything.
    Track every day - the good ones and the bad ones.
    Be patient and consistent.
    Just focus on each day as it comes, not the whole big goal.
    Don't try to be a superhero, each day just aim to not exceed your calories and to do something active.
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Give your body rest days and dn't be afraid to indulge every once in awhile!
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the tips listed and would add: be prepared ~ shop so that you have plenty of the foods easily available to you.
  • credessa
    credessa Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water...thirst is often mistaken for hunger.
  • bushokie
    Options
    great thanks
  • Buff2022
    Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    1. Believe in yourself.
    2. Find a good support person besides yourself
    3. Look at the progress you made. Don't worry if you can only walk 10 min,. Weeks from now you will be walking 30 min. and amazed that it only use to be 10 min.
    4. Take pictures. Sometimes that is where you see the change.
    5. Don't be in a hurry. Eat right and work out..the weight can't hold on forever.
  • mama2mila
    mama2mila Posts: 92
    Options
    meal plan
    eat the rainbow daily
    drink water - lots of it!
    weight train (plateaued with just diet/cardio; lifting propelled me to lose again)
    eat clean
    its not a diet, its a lifestyle change
    you can't exercise a bad diet
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Get to the point where your stomach shrinks a bit and it no longer becomes a diet.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Don't let yourself get too hungry or you'll be more likely to binge.
    Moderation, moderation, moderation!
    The best exercise program is one you enjoy and can stick to.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    No matter how high or mighty the throne... The thing that sits on it is the same as your own.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Focus on the process of change...changing your habits, changing your overall dietary lifestyle and fitness lifestyle.

Focus on the change and you will always see the end results; focus on the end results and you will rarely see the change.
  • viragoeap
    viragoeap Posts: 107
    Options
    All the above are great and I would add the following:

Mix up your exercise so your body doesn't get used to the same old routine.

Try and eat some protein with every carb snack/meal you eat.

Mix up your meals. Who said you can't have veggies for breakfast!

Be prepared to adjust goals when necessary, there's no shame in it!
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. I have found that after working out for 7-10 day straight it is "OK" to just take a 20 minute walk and let your body recuperate.

Get plenty of sleep!
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    When you change how you eat be prepared for when you get hungry to change too. I used to be good from lunch till 6.30 - now 5pm comes along and I am starving! I am less hungry later for dinner though and less likely to snack all evening!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    1. Educate yourself about how weight-loss happens. Learn the science. Read reputable sources, question them, and read some more.

2. Go ahead and accept the fact that it's going to be hard. If you think it's going to be easy, you will give up at the first sign of difficulty.

3. Learn the difference between "training" and "working out." This one blew the doors off everything for me.

4. Embrace heavy lifting. It doesn't have to be your only routine, but if it's not in there somewhere, you're not going to reach your potential. Getting stronger makes you better at everything else.

5. Eat good, delicious food. Adherence trumps dogma in the dietary realm, so invest the time and money into learning how to prepare things you love to eat.

6. If you make plans now, you won't need to make excuses later.

That's all you're getting for free.
  • bushokie
    Options
    awesome thanks
  • dianuhmonkey
    dianuhmonkey Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You only fail when you quit trying.
    And it is definitely NOT A DIET but rather a LIFESTYLE CHANGE.
    If you continually think that you can't have a certain food because you are on a diet it makes it much worse. Try the mindset "I am choosing not to put that in my body because my new lifestyle, health is worth more than that piece of *insert crap food here*"
    I also find that I look at the calories in many options and decide which calories are worth it.
    I can eat 400 calories of this awesome healthy food and be filled up for a few hours or I can indulge in a 400 calorie piece of cake or whatever and be hungry a half hour from now. Choices like that are just becoming second nature.
  • kymkan
    kymkan Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    measure, measure, measure!!! I see so many people get discouraged when the scale doesn't go down and quit! I think that measurements are more important that what that scale says!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!