5K Manners?

Options
A couple of running events have been planned for the summer. I've only been a part of two other runs where I had pals involved, and I have an etiquette question. If you're doing an event like this with a large group including people at all skill levels should we be prepared to slow our pace and run as a group or can those of us with the skill and ability still focus on our times and performance? If it's ok to leave the slower folks behind, do we need to clue them in to this ahead of time or what is the best way to address it?
I've wondered it before at my first running event where I encouraged the faster runners to move on and leave me to my trot (they were at the end cheering me on which was a delight). I wondered it again at the Hard Charge, we did it for fun which was untimed, and so we stayed back to let slower teammates catch up after each obstacle.
The reason I care to ask now is that members of my family will be running/walking/jogging together for a 5K (Head for the Cure) in June. Some will be walking it, some will be jogging it so I am not sure if I can leave them behind or if I should slow my roll for the family run.

Replies

• Leslie1124
    Leslie1124 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    very good question! Id like to know the answer too. I haven't run any yet, but i plan to eventually and it will be with people. This information would be good to know.
  • deemartin2
    deemartin2 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Same here, I would like to know as well. I plan on running the Color Me Rad 5k in August but my friend has bad knees and so can't really run it. But since this will be my first 5k I'd like to see how I do but also don't want to leave my friend behind. :/
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I would definitely talk to them about it beforehand and let them know your goal. If you are just going to walk it with them, then there's no need to have this discussion, but if you would like to have your run timed and beat a goal or see how you do, then I would talk to them about it. Just let them know that you are going to put effort into this race to jog it the whole way, or whatever, and that you don't want to insult them by going ahead and leaving the group. I will bet that they'll feel the exact same way as you did during the race where you told the faster people to go in front of you. It didn't hurt your feelings, you knew you were slower than them, you wanted them to go ahead at whatever pace they wanted to do. I'd be that your family will feel the same way.

I would never want someone to stay back at my pace if they can go faster than me. I'd feel so guilty at the end that I kept them from making their own time.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I think talking to the rest of the family and figuring out what they see will be the key in this race. I'm signed up for two other runs, one will definitely be for time so I'm not worried if the rest of the family wants to stick together in this race. It's not like I'm Flash Gordon or anything. :glasses:
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    just talk it out beforehand and know where everyone stands. if they know you are going to give it your all and you leave them in the dust then they won't be upset. I did a mud run with a friend and we just agreed to stick together. which was fine. We ended up evening out I think, I could have gone faster in some areas and likewise she could have too. We stuck together though and were both proud of our time when it was all said and done.
  • EWhitaker526
    EWhitaker526 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I did two 5ks this month with family/friends of all different levels. We all know what our abilities are so we all split up as the race progressed. I think it works out best if you each go at your own pace and don't hold back for others. Of course we did discuss it ahead of time and all agreed upon it.
  • Mamahana82
    Mamahana82 Posts: 64
    Options
    I think it depends on what kind of 5K race it is. If it is a timed classic 5K kind of race, I would at least let the group know I plan to beat my personal best and put out what that number is. (Which at this point, isn't very fast anyway) I think in the races, you gather at the starting line more to your level anyhow, which was more what I thought this question to be addressing. If you are a faster runner, you aren't going to be lining up to the start line next to your walking friend, because it causes unnecessary traffic to have slower people towards the front. Most people going to a 5K event should know at least where they stand in terms of speed.

If it is a fun run or a walk/run...something more like The Color Run where the focus is less on time and more on fun, I would probably just run along with my friends who were slower than me. But I wouldn't begrudge a faster runner to give me a wave and move on ahead. I'd just tell them I"m bringing up the rear and I'd see them at the finish line!
  • HeatherRM14
    HeatherRM14 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have been doing 5Ks this year. He can run and do one in about 30 minutes. I can't run a full one because of my old lady knees. He runs and does his thing and he's waiting for me at the end which is nice.

I'd say if it's a timed event, run at your pace and wait at the end. If it's untimed and just for fun like a Color Run or Color Me Rad, slow down and enjoy the family time and fun.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I think I agree with the other posters....

If it is timed...to each their own pace. But staying at or near the finish line to cheer those from your group on as they come across (and believe me, it is an awesome feeling to have someone do that for you at a 5K). And for fun runs...stick together.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree with talking it over with your group. I know people who have been promised a partner, then "ditched" and people who feel guilty for "holding back" others. It may be an awkward discussion, but it is better than having a lot of issues the day of your race.

I just ran a couple slower than I might have otherwise to stay with a partner and I had a great time. When I run solo, then I "push."

Hope you have fun, whatever the pace!
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Last spring I ran a 5k with a friend (first one I'd ever done with someone), and we talked ahead of time and agreed that we would run our own pace. For a while, we kept pace but definetly didn't end together. It worked out great, but you should definetly set the expectations ahead of time (assuming you want to go at your own pace and not stick with them).
  • finallydetermined
    finallydetermined Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with discussing it ahead of time - too many disappointments if left until mid-race!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I both run together. We made a pact that if one of us speeds up, the other one would not take it personally because we do not want to stunt each other's progress. My little sister will be doing a 4K in our neighborhood in July and I told her if she has to run faster than me, at least stay at the finish line to cheer me on when she's done. Maybe discuss with them if that's okay to leave them for your own personal reasons, like you wanting a certain time or something.