Diet tips that don't work

Options
kmm7309
kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
Yesterday my family was asking me about my weight loss and chiming in their own ideas about how loss is accomplished. I learned a long time ago that you cannot correct people on their false beliefs because they just get pissed off at you and get defensive and refuse to receive helpful information from you. Anyway, I am now officially the smallest person in my family (by at least 100 pounds) and my family was giving me the following (cringe-worthy) "tips" to boost weight loss...

1) Muscle weighs more than fat so if you gain weight, it's just muscle (FALSE: a pound is a pound-- muscle just takes up less space)
2) Drink grapefruit juice because it burns fat (FALSE: no food "burns" fat)
3) Never eat carbs because they automatically become fat. The Adkin's diet is the only way to lose weight (FALSE: carb restriction is a personal choice. I restrict my carbs to under 145 a day because of insulin resistance, but I do not eat less than 80. Adkin's is not the ONLY way to lose weight)
4) As long as you eat a salad for one meal, you can eat whatever you want for the other two meals (FALSE: calories in/calories out)
5) You can eat more than one slim-fast bar if you are hungry because they don't have any bad calories in them (FALSE: what?? What's a bad calorie? Why would you eat an unsatisfying processed chocolate bar when you can have a huge plate of veggies for less calories?)

Are there any other "diet tips" you've heard that make you cringe?

Replies

• rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Anything with the word diet in it is probably bull.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Agreed. But everyone knows the best diet out there, right? If one diet worked for everyone, then I'm pretty sure the government would get behind that diet and push the hell out of it.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I never really liked being asked 'what diet are you on' or 'are you on a diet?'...to me, I'm not on 'a diet' per se (spelling?), I just changed the way and what I eat. I rarely eat fast food like McDonalds (but allow for it from time to time), pay closer attention to my serving sizes at home vs. just loading my plate up with food, etc. I still eat what I want, just pay attention to how MUCH of it I eat, and try to make healthier options, like brown rice vs white, whole wheat pasta, etc.
  • scottgobuck
    scottgobuck Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have lost 112 pounds and now kept it off for over a year and never used the word diet. Its lifestyle change and part of it is exercise and the rest is your eating habits. I agree with you on a lot of your points, the biggest thing for me was eliminating almost all processed foods, totally eliminated soda and eat a lot of fruits and vegatables,fish and chicken. The people who say those things are looking for the easy way or making excuses because they arent ready for the change.

Congratulations on your change, you have done a wonderful job and it shows!!!
  • veggiesandkate
    veggiesandkate Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You should have a few servings of oil a day for healthy fats (False: oil is PURE fat and highly processed. You can get healthy fats from eating whole foods like avocados and coconuts)
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I just find it kinda funny when people ask me how I lost all the weight and I tell them "healthier food choices and working my *kitten* off", they tell me that I don't need to do that, just do this, this, and this and they are at least 100 or so pounds overweight, I just smile and tell them "well, this is working for me"
  • groundhawg
    groundhawg Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    "If you cheat and eat something bad, you might as well blow the whole day off, because its ruined"

bad bad bad, I mean, I have nothing against cheating, or schedule cheat days, but just because you ate a Big Mac at lunch does not give you a license to eat a tub of ice cream at home.

"The only way to look lean is cardio" Or "Weightlifting makes women look like men"- both nearly drive me into instant crazy mode.
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I never really liked being asked 'what diet are you on' or 'are you on a diet?'...to me, I'm not on 'a diet' per se (spelling?), I just changed the way and what I eat. I rarely eat fast food like McDonalds (but allow for it from time to time), pay closer attention to my serving sizes at home vs. just loading my plate up with food, etc. I still eat what I want, just pay attention to how MUCH of it I eat, and try to make healthier options, like brown rice vs white, whole wheat pasta, etc.

Wow, exactly what I was thinking. If you make lifestyle changes instead of dieting, you can sustain it forever, instead of burning out on the diet and going back to what made you fat to begin with. For me, the biggest thing has been stopping when I'm full and not eating when I'm not hungry. If I just do those two things, and eat healthy, I'm good, and the pounds come off. Or at least the inches do... (I've been at 6-8 lb lost for the past 2 or 3 weeks... so I put the scales away and I won't check them again for a month!)
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    all of them
  • amandaanderson2786
    amandaanderson2786 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    the worst advice i have gotten was being told i should eat one meal a day to lose weight:noway:
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    You have to eat a lot of small meals to keep your metabolism burning.

You have to eat breakfast to jumpstart your metabolism.

You cant eat after a certain hour.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Um, I overheard something really stupid at the gym the other day, it went something like this: I eat really fast, I have a fast metabolism therefore. Those who eat slowly have slow metabolisms and tend to be fat.

WTF?!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    You should have a few servings of oil a day for healthy fats (False: oil is PURE fat and highly processed. You can get healthy fats from eating whole foods like avocados and coconuts)

^^^^ Lets add raw nuts and seeds to this!
  • splitdog79
    splitdog79 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    This ex-husband of a co-worker was stopping by the office with her kids for a minute and was talking to me about weight loss and he asked me what I was going to do about loose skin around the stomach area. I told him that over time the skin may tighten back up some, but that in the meantime I'm keeping my skin moisturized and intend to work on building muscle in the near future.

He told me that his good friend wore a rubber girdle thingy everyday for a few months and drank as little as he could and after a few months his skin was as tight as new.

Now, I don't know about you guys but to me wearing a crap-ton of rubber super tight around your abdomen and then dehydrating yourself for months at a time seems like a pretty crappy idea.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    The ones that don't work for me:

1. No processed foods.

Define processed, because every food is processed in some form.

2. Only shop from the edges of the grocery store.

Does that include the dumpsters? There's plenty of "horrible" foods on the edge of the grocery store.

3. Don't eat <insert food of the moment considered evil> (re: breads, pasta, rice, anything white)

I'm already limited on what I can eat with a sodium restriction. Most of the "evil" foods are pretty damn low sodium (I'm looking at you pasta and rice). My life is crap enough now that I can't eat beef jerky anymore, so don't even try to take away my potatoes.

4a. Eat slowly. Put down your fork/spoon after each bite.

I can eat a slow as anything and still be hungry. Taking an hour to eat a meal isn't going to make my hunger go away.

4b. Drink a big glass of water before you eat.

I don't know about yours, but my stomach can tell the difference between water and food.
  • akindc
    akindc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My mom (who doesn't know anything about nutrition so I'm not sure if I can fault her for it) has repeatedly told me to stay under 1200 calories. A few times she's told me to eat 800. I pretty much laughed in her face. I've tried showing her evidence, but I think it's mostly that she doesn't know how many calories are in foods, so 800 for her sounds like a lot.

It's a wonder I didn't grow up with an eating disorder ;)
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    The ones that don't work for me:

1. No processed foods.

Define processed, because every food is processed in some form.

2. Only shop from the edges of the grocery store.

Does that include the dumpsters? There's plenty of "horrible" foods on the edge of the grocery store.

3. Don't eat <insert food of the moment considered evil> (re: breads, pasta, rice, anything white)

I'm already limited on what I can eat with a sodium restriction. Most of the "evil" foods are pretty damn low sodium (I'm looking at you pasta and rice). My life is crap enough now that I can't eat beef jerky anymore, so don't even try to take away my potatoes.

4a. Eat slowly. Put down your fork/spoon after each bite.

I can eat a slow as anything and still be hungry. Taking an hour to eat a meal isn't going to make my hunger go away.

4b. Drink a big glass of water before you eat.

I don't know about yours, but my stomach can tell the difference between water and food.

Agree!!
  • Jackson4590
    Jackson4590 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to change people's opinions with facts.

Pretty much any much unsolicited advice is cringe-worthy.
  • bleedingdesu
    bleedingdesu Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    "White bread makes you lose weight because they take all the calories out of it and that's what makes it white."
    no joke.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Hate it when people say "how did you do it" with regards to my weightloss..

I did it the only possible way: calories out was less than calories in - via a combination of diet and exercise.