Leg toning with bad knees?

Options
Hi all!

Anyone know any successful leg toning exercises that are low impact on the knee joints? I've got an old injury to my left knee which means i can't do anything that will put extreme pressure on it like squats and lunges. It makes a horrible cracking noise. Ew.

Anyway does anybody know of an alternative to help me firm up my legs a bit? I do stationary biking which is cardio and probably helps a bit but need something to test my muscles. :)

Replies

• AJL437
    AJL437 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I had a bad knee too. I kept cranking up the resistance on the stationary bike for intervals to build strength. You can also swim or do squats in the pool. Another one I like is a wall sit. You position your back against a wall and lower until you form a 90 degree angle - your thighs parallel to the ground and hold it.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Swimming is fantastic for toning and muscle conditioning... As earlier post said you can also do all the usual exercises in the pool so maybe try an aqua aerobics class. What about weights in the gym? Have you tried discussing what you could do with a personal trainer?