How do I help my husband eat healthier?

Options
2»

Replies

• WonTaunTaun
    WonTaunTaun Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I do the grocery shopping and cooking in my house. My hubby is very supportive about my life change, but he himself isn't looking to improve. So, I buy what I need to succeed. Guess what? He is way too tired and hungry at the end of the day to decide he doesn't want to eat healthy with me and he eats whatever I have prepared. Your guy can either deal with it and appreciate that you are trying to make a healthy lifestyle for you both, or go get himself a fast food cheeseburger. In the end he has to want to do it for himself, but that doesn't mean you have to sabotage yourself in the process. This could cause so much resentment in the future from you to him.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Just continue to slowly make small changes without letting him know. Don't ask him for advice before you change something just change it and see if he notices i.e. instead of using ground beef you can use ground turkey or veggie ground and see if he notices it.

Oh yeah... I did that too! Also prefaced things with, "I found an awesome recipe I found".

On a side note, we love turkey burgers.... but the caveat for my husband is that once in while he gets the real deal... full fat and everything.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to change him? If he wants to lose weight he will lose weight. Maybe he's happy at this time? People lose weight for themselves not anyone else. No one forces food into people's mouths, for the most part haha. If your married and happy why does it matter if he's 150lbs or 250lbs?

Typical guy!!! :bigsmile: :tongue:

If you're happily married you want your partner to be around a long time!
  • 22workout
    22workout Posts: 36
    Options
    This one guy sitting next to me on a plane saw me eating veggies and hes like "I would rather live a short life filled with good food, then a long life with gross food." That is the first thing that came to mind when I saw your question.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Wow! Sounds like a guy full of excuses... seriously, it's up to him to ultimately eat healthy, not your job. Just do the best you can do... but you can't make him eat what he doesn't want.

With that said, I understand where you are coming from as I am just now coming out of the same place.
  • Lagarto26
    Lagarto26 Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I kind of just needed to vent. He wears his weight well so he doesn't look fat, especially next to his friends. But I know he would feel much better if he ate better. It just hard to hear how tired he is when I have felt that way and I fixed it.

As for gender roles. He works at a job that he absolutely hates, you know the kind that suck your soul, so that I can go to school. Its my job to cook and clean because I have nothing else to do, even more so now that school is over for the summer. He does his part I do mine.

As for the nagging yea thats hard for me, but I will work on it lol. Thanks for all the great suggestions!