I really want to work out in the mornings

Options
nehtaeh
nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
but, I have a hard time getting up. I have a hard time getting out of bed in time to just get ready for work, let alone adding a workout.

I won't say that I'm not a morning person. Once I'm up I'm fine. Its just the getting up that's hard for me.

Anyone have this issue and work through it? Find good ways to get yourself up and ready to go in the morning for a workout?

My girls are up until about 10pm most nights. I don't have any problem going to sleep when they do. I do run into tired nights about half the time when I just don't want to work out after they've gone to bed. If I can make myself get up in the morning to workout I wouldn't have to worry about the nights and I could just go to bed with them.

In order to get in a shower and make it to work on time I need to be in the shower by 7am, so not so bad.

Any thoughts or ideas? Ways to motivate me?

Replies

• shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thats a tuff one! I have the same problem. Its nice to get it done in the am and then you are pretty much done for the day. Im interested to see what people say.
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I am NOT a morning person, so.... I have no idea. Maybe sleep in your workout clothes so all you have to do is roll out and tie your shoes?
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I feel ya, lady. I want to do my workouts in the morning as well - but as it is I get up at 5:30 - UGH!!!

I start the Shred tomorrow and I've decided I will do it in the morning. I have always dreaded a morning workout, mostly because getting up earlier than I have to already is so hard. But I am now thinking about it from the angle of getting it done, getting woken up with bloodflow rather than coffee flow :wink:, and having the stress and worry of fitting in a workout in the evening out of the way - it all sounds great when I put it that way :happy: .

Good luck!
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I just started on a new workout plan where I run at 5 am twice a week. I lay out my clothes the night before, so it's easier to get ready, and I've found that I really do enjoy a morning run. It's so peaceful and gives me energy for the day.

I am in no way a morning person myself - just a year or so ago I was struggling to make it to work at 8! :) Good luck to you - I believe that if it's important enough to you, you can make it happen. Just give it a try and see if you like it. Who knows, maybe it won't be for you.
  • livingnlove
    Options
    I get up at 6, pray, then put on the workout video (I have a couple I rotate through) and workout for 25-30 minutes doing circuit training, kick and jab and tae bo (rotating). Then in the shower by 6:45. Just have to actually roll out of bed instead of hitting the snooze and rolling over. ;)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I just set my alarm 30 minutes before I'm to start working out. 15 minutes to get ready and 15 minutes to get to the gym. I get up, get dressed and put my hair up and I go. I think of it as an appointment. If I miss work, I get points that could lead to disciplinary action. If I miss my work out, I get FAT that doesn't get burned off. :)
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Do A.M. work out people eat anything before working out? I can't work out on an empty stomach!
  • nehtaeh
    Options
    I guess I really just need to make it something I have to do, like take a shower. It really is only a half hour since I'm trying to do the shred in the morn. If I can do this I might be able to justify a gym membership since I can go there, workout, and shower before work.

I know its all a mindset.

Problem is I know when the absolute latest I can get up is...I hit snooze until then, sometimes up to an hour and a half from the first time the alarm goes off. Sounds kinda dumb to think about it since there is no way that sleep is good sleep.

Thanks for the input people! I'll give it a whirl. I hope it works.
  • mirgss
    Options
    Do A.M. work out people eat anything before working out? I can't work out on an empty stomach!

I never used to think I could work out with nothing to eat...I suffer from occasional hypoglycemia. However, if I eat right before I work out, that's a sure recipe for me blowing chunks :D So I actually have been running without any food and it's been working for me. I've heard other people say a banana and some toast or yogurt.
  • mirgss
    Options
    I guess I really just need to make it something I have to do, like take a shower. It really is only a half hour since I'm trying to do the shred in the morn. If I can do this I might be able to justify a gym membership since I can go there, workout, and shower before work.

I know its all a mindset.

Problem is I know when the absolute latest I can get up is...I hit snooze until then, sometimes up to an hour and a half from the first time the alarm goes off. Sounds kinda dumb to think about it since there is no way that sleep is good sleep.

Thanks for the input people! I'll give it a whirl. I hope it works.

Good luck! I know this is going to sound silly, but - just do it! I know if I think about something too much I will psych myself out of it.
  • nehtaeh
    Options

Good luck! I know this is going to sound silly, but - just do it! I know if I think about something too much I will psych myself out of it.

Thanks. I know it really just needs to be done. I can talk about it all day, but will I be able to force myself up in the morning. Guess I'll find out in about 14 hours. I WILL do this!
  • dzdame
    dzdame Posts: 89
    Options
    I am a morning person, but don't sleep well, so when the alarm goes off at 5:00, I never jump right up, as I am tired, so I hear what you are saying. Once I am up (around 5:30), I make a cup of coffee and a wasa cracker or banana with peanut butter, sit at the computer and read my emails. When I am done, usually by 6:00, I am ready to workout! I would definitely try to build in a bit of time to put something in your stomach, if you find you need to in order to have the energy to workout. I have tried it both ways and know that my workout is much better when I have a cup of coffee and a light snack. I workout for 45-60 minutes, since I don't have to get in the shower untl 7:00. Someone suggested sleeping in your workout clothes. I often do this, except for my sports bra, socks and shoes (of course). This seems like a little thing, but really helps, especially in the winter, when it is even tougher to get out of that warm bed! Good luck with your goal! I love working out in the am and knowing I can go about the rest of my day and not worry about it. I
  • nehtaeh
    Options
    Thanks all!! I'll try a few ways and hopefully find the magic combination.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I generally have a hard time waking up as well. I'm one of those habitually tardy folks at work because I apparently think 10 extra minutes of sleep is worth more than getting to work on time. :embarassed:

But I exercise in the morning. I started with just getting up 30 minutes early 3-4 days a week and doing something for 30 minutes at home. That has now turned into to getting up at 5.30am and going to the gym for 60-90 minutes several mornings each week (I work out at night 1-2 days because I'm already on that side of town :tongue:). Now, if I had to be at work at 6am, I wouldn't be able to get up at 5.30am to save my soul. But I LOVE the gym... so I get up a lot easier. Unfortunately, I still run 10 minutes late for work many mornings because now I stay at the gym 10 minutes too long. :laugh:

I still have a hard time getting to bed before midnight any night of the week regardless of what time I woke up that morning though.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher and I have to be at work at 7:15 am. So, I'm in the shower by 5:45 and out the door by 7:05. I work out right after school everyday at 2:40. During the summer I get to the gym or run at 6am outside. I prefer AM workouts because they are finished and out of the way.... plus it makes me feel healthier and full of energy through out the day. I just can't get up at 4 am during the work week... between my two little ones waking up at night and me having to get them ready in the morning, I'm just not motivated enough to add that to my morning routine.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    In college (ie, 6 months ago), I would intentionally set my alarm an hour or two early, b/c I know that I'll hit snooze for that long. The problem with that habit was that (1) I KNEW I could snooze that long with no negative consequences and (2) I wasn't getting good sleep during that time. I still tended to miss my 8am class.
    When I got my job in Feb, I was terrified of being late, so I set my regular alarm, and then got a cheap alarm that HAS NO SNOOZE and set it across the room by the door. The cheap alarm was set at the ABSOLUTE LATEST that I could get up, and I think my regular alarm was only 30-60min earlier. After only a few nights, I was turning off the extra alarm before it even went off. I now get out of bed at the first alarm at 5; I've snoozed a few times in the last several months, but never for more than once. However, I also make myself go to bed at a normal bedtime (9pm) most nights, just like when I was a kid in school. It's all about routine for me.
    As for working out, I used to do a short 10 min dance DVD, but lately I've been really dragging my butt in the mornings, even tho I get right up, so I haven't been doing it lately. Been doing Shred in the evening instead.
  • DocNorton
    DocNorton Posts: 43
    Options
    I think one of the best things I can advise has been mentioned already and that is - Just get up !

When the alarm goes off don't be grumpy just jump out of bed - you will hate it and it will be far more tempting to stay in your lovely warm bed but just do it - get up - straight to the bathroom - wash with cold water and then thats it - the sleepy head is gone so you may as well get on with the day...

Also you don't spend the day thinking "I can't be bothered with the gym" etc - it's out of the way then...

Mind you I don't pratice what I preach all the time lol
  • doll2002
    doll2002 Posts: 427
    Options
    I look at it this way. I woke up this morning and was blessed to see another day so I have no reason to continue to stay in bed when I have so much ahead of me for the day. This really motivates me to get up and exercise because there are so many people who wish to do so and can't. It works for me. It also motivates me because I'm doing this for me and no else. :happy:
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options

I eat something small but with a "big punch". I'm "lucky" tho. My daughter goes to bed between 8-9, wake my husband up around 9:30 (3rd shifter) and I'm in bed around 10:30. She wakes up between 7 - 8. However I prefer 7 b/c then I have enough time for us to eat breakfast and me to get ready for the gym at 9. I have to leave by 8:40 to get there. I never used to be a morning person, but I do prefer to do it in the morning. I like to eat old fashioned oats with 1 T heavy cream, 1 tsp brown sugar and a pinch of cinnamon. Sometimes blueberries are a-float (tom. they will be) I also make my own granola and will have 1/2 cup of that with 3 oz skim milk and a piece of fruit. Mind you, i eat around 7:45-8 and don't work out until 9, gives time for the food to settle.

I also make sure to eat something when I get home from work out. Often 1 egg over medium and a piece of toast, or simply an apple, totally depends on the workout!!