Is exercise pointless?

Options
Am I the only one that doesn't see the purpose of exercising just to eat a few more calories? It seems to just cancel itself out!

Replies

• thenebean9
    thenebean9 Posts: 216
    Options
    the whole thing with exercise is that it builds muscle. and muscle will burn more calories than fat, so you are boosting your metabolism. and it's healthy for you! keeps your body in shape! that's all the reason i need :)
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Really??? You see no benefit to heart health and general wellness? Bodies need to move to function!
  • fiendiish
    fiendiish Posts: 186
    Options
    How about improving your cardiovascular health, increase endurance, build strength, strengthen your bones, keep your metabolism up, keep you active and making it easier to maintain a healthy weight.

Not to mention the sense of accomplishment and pride in yourself, the increase in daily energy and adrenalin.

Just that is a good enough reason for me.
  • squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    Options
    Wow, how could exercise be pointless? Gets the blood pumping, the muscles tightening, the lungs functioning, gets the libido going...quells anxiety and depression. What doesn't exercise do?
  • MandasCorner
    MandasCorner Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I kinda felt the same way at first but now I think it motivates me to actually do some exercise because then I get to eat more, I'm just trying to make healthier choices with what I eat :) I am also noticing that I am able to do more physically. Small amounts as it may be, I know that will increase the more I get active. I am also starting to feel slightly stronger too.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    There are many benefits to exercise other than being able to eat more calories. Their is Cardio exercise which builds up your cardiovascular system so you get a stronger heart and live longer. Then their is resistance training. Builds lean muscle. As you build lean muscle your metabolish increases and allows you to eat more food without gaining all that weight back. Those are just 2 of the many benefits of exercise. Now get off the couch and hit the gym..LOL
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    My grandpa died of a heart attack. So this is a way for me to not only keep my heart strong, but also to build muscle, endurance, burn FAT (when you lose weight, you lose more than just fat - you could be losing muscle if you're not on a healthy plan, and you also lose water). Exercising has loosened up my joints so that I'm not as stiff anymore.

There are so many benefits to exercising than just losing weight!! And I don't usually exercise SO I can eat more... (although sometimes, I do!) it's usually that I do it because I want to feel good and feel accomplished and know my body is capable of doing amazing things...and then yes, I eat those calories back, because I know I can't have too large a deficit.
  • Bratkins
    Bratkins Posts: 47
    Options
    Actually, beyond the fact that exercise improves my health and makes me feel better I think the fact that you earn more calories back is great motivation to go to the gym or go take my dog for a long walk/run. It isn't truly cancelling out since you are not going above what you are alloted for the day. :)
  • vinjama
    vinjama Posts: 52
    Options
    I smell Troll!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,733 Member
    Options
    Plus, you can't build hot-looking muscle with diet alone! :bigsmile:
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    My main motivation for exercising? ENERGY.

I can't put a value on the energy I get from exercising! It's made me such a happier person :)
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I find there are so many benefits to exercise, for me I have to exercise in order to live, yes really
  • lilay
    lilay Posts: 122
    Options
    All of the reasons everyone mentioned are right but I have to say the number 1 reason I like to exercise has nothing to do with weight loss. It is STRESS!!!! We are going through are very high stress period of our lives and ever since I started working out I feel happier and I feel like I deal with things so much better. My husband and I argue less. I was one of those people that would subconsciously pick an argument just so I could let off some steam. So even if I had lost no weight the emotional benefits would still be 100% worth it for me.
  • heebiejeebie
    heebiejeebie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I agree with Vinjama.
    Do not feed the troll!
  • squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    Options
    I agree with Vinjama.
    Do not feed the troll!
    Troll?? I'm lost, but that's not unusual.
  • VSgirl2010
    VSgirl2010 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If your not exercising for weightloss then by all means do it for other reasons. Stronger muscles, stronger heart and lung function, stave off or minimize arthritis in later yrs, builds strong bones, helps lower bad cholesterol, the list goes on and on......:happy:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss based on the way MFP sets up your calorie deficits? Yes, exercise is pointless.

But, in terms of your HEALTH? Um, no, exercise is in no way pointless. :wink:

If you need to think about it on different terms, why don't you eat maintenance calories and then use exercise to creat your calorie deficit? :smile: It's the same thing as pre-setting a calorie deficit into your diet and then eating your exercise calories, but looking at it that way seems to help some people understand the big picture a little more.
  • OnieBee
    OnieBee Posts: 67
    Options
    All of the reasons everyone mentioned are right but I have to say the number 1 reason I like to exercise has nothing to do with weight loss. It is STRESS!!!! We are going through are very high stress period of our lives and ever since I started working out I feel happier and I feel like I deal with things so much better. My husband and I argue less. I was one of those people that would subconsciously pick an argument just so I could let off some steam. So even if I had lost no weight the emotional benefits would still be 100% worth it for me.

That is my FAVORITE benefit of exercise! My husband and I actually workout together and it has made our relationship so much better!!!
  • gnme4243
    gnme4243 Posts: 120
    Options
    My main motivation for exercising? ENERGY.

I can't put a value on the energy I get from exercising! It's made me such a happier person :)

110% AGREED!!! Besides, I rarely eat my exercise calories, that has nothing to do with why I exercise! :smile:
  • ydavyd
    ydavyd Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    100 Benefits of Exercise

A major and often overlooked benefit of exercise is that it helps you to sleep better.

But the benefits of exercise don't stop there. Below are 100 other benefits of exercise (not necessarily in order of importance).
    1. Reduces blood pressure
    2. Reduces cholesteral levels
    3. Increases the concentration of high-density lipoprotein (HDL or “good” cholesterol in the blood)
    4. Reduces chances for coronary heart disease
    5. Increases efficiency of heart and lowers resting heart rate
    6. Makes heart muscles stronger
    7. Improves contractile function of the heart
    8. Strengthens lungs
    9. Improves respiratory function
    10. Improves cardiovascular endurance and performance
    11. Provides more oxygen to body, including organs and muscles
    12. Provides more nutrient supply to the body
    13. Reduces chances for stroke
    14. Helps to alleviate varicose veins
    15. Increases metabolic rate
    16. Stimulates digestion
    17. Makes digestion more efficient
    18. Stimulates intestinal movements, resulting in better elimination of wastes
    19. Reduces changes for colon cancer
    20. Strengthens and develops muscles
    21. Increases efficiency of muscles
    22. Benefits joints due to stronger muscles
    23. Helps maintain cartilage health in the joints
    24. Eases muscular tension
    25. Alleviates back problems
    26. Increases muscle flexible and agility
    27. Improves speed of muscle contraction and reaction time
    28. More healthy skin due to the fact that skin pores open more during exercise, resulting in more efficient removal of dirt and impurities
    29. Burns up and removes toxins from body
    30. Increases blood flow to the brain
    31. Stimulates growth of nerve cells in memory center of the brain
    32. Improves various indexes of psychological functioning
    33. Enhances brain functioning by increasing the amount of oxygen available to it
    34. Increases sense of well being
    35. Increases resistance to pain because endorphin levels are elevated
    36. Increases sense of excitement because hormone epinephrine is elevated
    37. Alleviates boredom
    38. Lessens worry and tension
    39. Reduces stress by removing lactic acid from blood
    40. Alleviates anxiety and/or pain because tranquilizing effect of exercise lasts for several hours
    41. Enhances mood
    42. Reduces anxiety more effectively and safely than anxiety-reducing medication
    43. Boosts energy
    44. Improves self-esteem and self-confidence since body and mind are improved and strengthened
    45. Increases sense of self control
    46. Provides source of pleasure and fun
    47. Releases anger and negative emotions
    48. Reduces depression more effective than short or long-term psychotherapy
    49. Enhances coordination, power, timing and balance
    50. Boosts immune system functioning
    51. Reduces severity of asthma
    52. Improves functioning of organs
    53. Can relieve tension headaches
    54. Can reduce the urge to smoke because the adrenaline rush and stress relief from a brief workout can replace similar feelings smokers get from tobacco
    55. Burns calories
    56. Causes body to use calories more efficiently
    57. Causes weight loss
    58. Allows one to keep lost weight from returning
    59. Can act as an appetite suppressant
    60. Decreases fat tissue
    61. Improves physical appearance
    62. Enhances one's image and opinion of the body
    63. Improves bone density and prevents osteoporosis
    64. Reduces joint discomfort
    65. Help manage arthritis
    66. Allows one to feel better about their bodies and enjoy sex more as a result
    67. Provides enhanced ability to achieve orgasm
    68. Allows for greater sexual satisfaction
    69. Can reduce or eliminate impotence due to increased blood flow
    70. Prevents or manages type 2 diabetes
    71. Helps insulin work better, lowering blood sugar
    72. Has a significant salutary effect on fibrinogen levels
    73. Alleviates menstrual cramps
    74. Improves athletic performance
    75. Can add years to one's life
    76. Enhances quality of life
    77. Reduces pain and disability
    78. Improves glycogen storage
    79. Reduces risk of developing certain types of cancers of the colon, prostate, uterine lining and breast and other chronic diseases
    80. Regulates hormones
    81. Allows you to overcome illness or injury more quickly
    82. Can lessen medical bills
    83. Reduces anxiety by causing fewer worries about health
    84. Can allow for better performance at work
    85. Allows one to stay independent as they get older
    86. Can keep health care insurance premiums lower
    87. Makes one more attractive to potential mates
    88. Allows for healthy pregnancy
    89. Increases energy and ability to do things one likes
    90. Allows you to be more productive and less stymied by stress and depression
    91. Can help make possible increased income due to increased energy
    92. Allows one to become more familiar with their body and its functioning
    93. Can stimulate mentally
    94. Lets one eat more without gaining weight
    95. Provides a healthy break from work
    96. Adds variety and spice to life
    97. Gives one increased ability to defend oneself and loved ones if needed
    98. Provides a natural high afterwards, such as runners' high
    99. Provides heightened alertness
    100. Reduces inflammation

http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/exer-100benefits.html