Starting light lifting - Weight?

Options
So, I've been doing pretty heavy cardio for about six weeks or so and diligently logging my calorie intake, etc... I lost a fair number of pounds in the first four weeks. About 2 weeks ago I started incorporating some light lifting a few times per week also, as I am looking to tone up as well as lose fat. I am not absolutely sure of the timing, but my weight loss has essentially come to a stop. I actually put a few pounds back initially, but now seem to be back at status-quo. I guess my question is, would a very light lifting regimen cause this? Is my body in an adjustment period right now? Should I back off the lifting until I hit my weight goal, or at least come closer? Sorry about all the questions and thanks in advance!

Replies

• howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Did I ask too many questions??:noway:
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    any time you change up your exercise routine (especially with lifting weights) you will retain water as your body heals itself. even though i have been lifting religiously for the past few months, i can still expect about 1-2 pounds of water weight gain in the two days after i lift. (i lift every 3 days or so) and i am right back to normal on the third day. its only water weight.

and no, dont put off lifting until you are at your goal weight. keep it up!
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Also you should lift HEAVY! Lifting light is not really going to do anything for you.
  • RachelHoffman0709
    RachelHoffman0709 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Also you should lift HEAVY! Lifting light is not really going to do anything for you.

^^this
  • howardheilweil
    Options

^^this

Thanks. Plan to work up to it... I have gotten pretty out of shape (and weak).
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Not to sound like a contrarian with my fellow MFPers above (because I think they are helpful and correct in what they say), but I started into weight lifting by doing some full body workouts that consisted of bodyweight and light dumbbells. And this was just under two years ago. I just blogged about it last night.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ChrisLindsay9/view/my-initial-weight-training-program-533349

The point is, while I love to lift heavy now (because that's important), I'll applaud you in just getting started with lifting in general. And I'm sure with continual progress, you'll be lifting heavy soon. :)

Suggestion? Write down the weights you're lifting now, (and take some pics of your muscles) so that in six months you'll be blown away with how far you've progressed!

Keep up the great work!
  • howardheilweil
    Options
    ^^ this is good stuff... Thanks:happy: