Tips for breaking a plateau?

Options
I've been steadily losing weight over the past few months, and now I've hit the dreaded plateau. Over the weekend I decided I would increase my exercise (cycling) and somehow managed to gain two pounds. I've heard weightlifting is good for this, but I have a bad shoulder and weight-bearing on that side causes some pretty bad pain. Eating about 1300-1600 cal on non-exercise days and 1700-2000 on exercise days. Go up, down stay the same? Any tips for breaking a plateau?

Replies

• jenf235
    jenf235 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    When I hit my plateau a few weeks ago, I upped my calories just a little bit and totally changed my exercise routine. I usually walk 6 or more miles a night, so I stopped walking and did an interval training aerobics dvd for 10 days. In the middle of the 10 days I had a 3 pound loss! After that, I went back tot he way I had been eating and went back to my walking. I have steadily lost for the last two weeks. I'm hoping it stays the same this week too! I know it is scary to up the calories, but it really does work! Good luck to you!
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'll give that a try! I usually cycle or walk when I exercise... guess it's time to find a new workout. Thanks! :)
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Take a diet break for a week and eat your maintenance,or zig zag your calories. Recalculate your calories because your probably eating calories for the old weight, not the new one. Drop your calories by 10 percent; try intermittent fasting; increase duration, intensity, frequency of cardio or change the type of cardio. Increase your protein intake and drop fat and carbs.