Does the heat help you burn more calories?

Options
I know this is probably a silly question but I am genuinely curious.

Will you burn more calories going for a mile walk say at 1pm than you would at like 6-7pm? I live in Florida so it is 89 degrees here right now. I just went for a walk and noticed I sweat A LOT more. Of course it is because it is hotter out but I am curious if the heat has any effect on calories burned.

Thanks!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    No ....heat does not effect calorie burn. I know what you mean though; once I went to the driving range in 90°+ with humidity .... it was horrible.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I don't think sweating due to heat makes you burn more. I am from FL too and I know what you mean about the humidity, but unless the sweat is induced from exercise, I don't think it's better for weight loss. You may lose water that will show up on the scale, but it's not a true fat loss.
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Ahh, okay. I figured. I just remember back in the day they used to have heated work out rooms (which I always thought was silly) saying you would lose more weight. It makes sense that it would be water weight though.
  • txbandman
    txbandman Posts: 78
    Options
    Working out in the heat is a mixed bag - on the one hand, because the heat adds a level of stress to your body, the cardio effect is greater. If you monitor heartrate, you will probably notice that the same workout produces a higher average heartrate in 85 degree weather than it does in 60 degrees. You are breathing more rapidly to help cool the body down, the CV system is working harder to compensate for the stress on your body.
    On the other hand, some of your metabolic calorie burn is used just to maintain body temperature. You will burn more calories standing in 70 degree water than you do standing in 90 degree air because your body is burning calories to maintain body temperature.
    In truth, all of these differences are pretty minor. The huge difference is the difference in calorie burn working out compared to calorie burn on the couch.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Heat increases your heart rate. That's where the myth comes from cause people mistakenly assume this means increased calorie burn. But the true answer is heat has no real impact on calorie burn.
  • learninmama
    learninmama Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I was hoping so too LOL I was pouring on my walk today...dreading August already!!
  • wordena
    wordena Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    No, I've seen studies that concluded it's actually somewhat easier to exercise in the heat, because your body and muscles are warmed up. Granted the risk for dehydration and over doing it is probably much greater. You'll come to your limits much faster, but i doubt you burn calories faster. That's why some professional athletes actually workout in industrial freezers. They want their body to work harder at staying warm, and because of the cold air can keep going longer. But you'll lose a ton of water weight in extreme heat, so remember to rehydrate. I try to drink a cup for every mile I run. That way I don't get fooled or feel yanked around for every pound of water weight lost, that I suddenly "regain." But keep exercising no matter what, whenever it's most convenient for You!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    The answer to whether your body uses more calories if you are hot or if your are cold is: it depends.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/526014-does-your-body-burn-more-calories-if-you-are-hot-or-if-you-are-cold/
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I thought it was the other way around. That you burn a bit more when it's cold, because your body is trying to stay warm. Even if this is true I prefer the temperature to be about 71.2 degrees.