40 in 4

Options
I am on a quest. A quest to save my life. Well, ok, maybe not that dramatic, but I am on a quest to keep from taking another stupid and expensive pill.

My doctor says my cholesterol is "freakishly high". And if I don't want to take another pill, I need to "lose 40 lbs. Now."

So I need to drop 40 lbs. before I see him again in September. Can I do it?

Hi, my name is Allen. Can you help me reach my goal?

Replies

• shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Allen, good for you for stepping up. Ive seen people loose that much for sure. I lost almost 20 in 4, it was slow, but Im still loosing.
    You can do it.
  • IbettR
    IbettR Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, Allen! Let's do this! I prefer Natural Medicine whenever possible, so I'd like to get back to you by tomorrow on natural suggestions that can be effective for cholesterol (I've gotta go through my book tonight). But you can absolutely do this in time for your follow up and your MFP friends can provide you with more support than you'll ever know! :happy:

And if you have faith and put your all into it, you can be drug-free (off prescription drugs). There is NO need for that if you take care of yourself. So welcome, and keep in touch! We can do this :happy:
  • calicowgirl0582
    Options
    Glad to have you with us. You can definately do it if you set your mind to it and work hard. Set smaller goals in the process to help. . . . its hard to look at the long term because in the beginning it seems so far off. Set some smaller goals that you can set your will towards now. Do you have a good support system at home? Be sure to log in here regularly. Make some friends that will hold you accountable. That's really important. Always helps me stay motivated when I know I have to tell somebody else.

Let me know anything you need.
  • slcobb001
    slcobb001 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes ... you can do it...

I'll tell you my story... I have Multiple Myeloma... A cancer of the immune system. My oncologist told me to lose 20 (now)...

It will help keep the cancer in control. So... you see..losing the weight is helping to save my life...and yours! That's a good
    way to think about this. If...you lose you live...If you don't...well you know the drill. My oncologist favorite saying is "healthy people live longer". That goes for everyone not just for people with cancer. So... yes.. exercise and eat like it is saving your life, because it is!
  • onyxlibra7
    onyxlibra7 Posts: 93
    Options
    Allen u can SO DO IT!! We're here with you for support! We all have the same outlook and that's to be healthy. =D
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I've always been a fan of using diet and exercise to heal our bodies. This is a lot of why my PCP is a DO rather than an MD. He's still a full-fledged doctor, but is much more open minded to natural medicine and thinks of medicine from a whole body standpoint rather than each individual problem as an isolated incident. Everything really is connected!
    I'm with you on the drugs. I used to work as a pharmacy tech and it is scary the poison we put in our bodies (sometimes life-saving and sometimes completely unneccesary) and how expensive it is!!!! Hope I can be a freind/support and help if you need it!
    If you have the ability, I would see a nutritionist about dietary ways to lower your choleteral and lose weight safely. It is amazing the power of food!! If you have a HyVee where you live, they have them on staff!
  • lynnmarie2
    Options
    You GO Allen....you can do it!! Look at all the support you have!! :)
  • msciccone1
    msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    You can do it :wink: We are all here to support! :flowerforyou:
  • lilay
    lilay Posts: 122
    Options
    You’ve definitely come to the right site. I lost 52 lbs in 4.5 months with the help of this site and the support of its members. Good Luck!!!
  • dadandersen
    Options
    Update: My 4 month deadline was last Friday. Officially, I lost 30.1 pounds. Not the 40 I was shooting for, but my doctor was extremely happy. We're still waiting for the cholesterol results. I hope the changes I've mad are enough.
  • iAlly
    iAlly Posts: 66
    Options
    What a great effort. Pat yourself on the back!

I think you're going to be quite pleased with those cholesterol results Mr Andersen.

Keep us posted please.

Cheers
    Ally