Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Stronglifts 5x5 vs. NROLFW

I have finished doing Chalean Extreme and have purchased and read NROLFW and Stronglifts 5x5 and I'm not sure which program I should do next. Has anyone done either one of these programs? What did you think of them? Stronglifts looks less complex than NROLFW but it also looks like it is geared more torwards men. Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    ANYONE? Other programs you suggest?
  • akindc
    akindc Posts: 84 Member
    ANYONE? Other programs you suggest?

I read NROLFW and didn't like the protein shake pushing, and also didn't have a barbell at the time. I now do, and have started StrongLifts 5x5. It's easy, doesn't require changing the exercises after each stage, and works. It was also free (I got NROLFW at the library though.) It comes with a great excel tracker and iphone app to use. Does all the work for upping the weights for you.
  • tracieangeletti
    Really leaning torwards stronglifts. Just got to get over the fear of using the squat rack and barbell. Totally don't know what I'm doing in the weight room. Lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Just depends on what you want to do...they're both good programs. It's not so much that SL is geared towards men...it's geared towards raw strength gains. You'll most definitely see some major changes in physique as well, especially if you're a noob. NROLFW, from my understanding, is more geared towards physique and you sacrifice some of those raw strength gains with more reps.
  • averytds
    averytds Posts: 64 Member
    I read/own NROLFW. I had already been doing Stronglifts for a few weeks by then and with it being so simple, I've stuck with Stronglifts. I did add 15 minutes HIIT after my lifting ala NROLFW and upped my overall calories since reading it.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Just depends on what you want to do...they're both good programs. It's not so much that SL is geared towards men...it's geared towards raw strength gains. You'll most definitely see some major changes in physique as well, especially if you're a noob. NROLFW, from my understanding, is more geared towards physique and you sacrifice some of those raw strength gains with more reps.

This. There is no reason a woman shouldn't "lift like a man". I have done both programs, have had great results with both but like SL much better because it is so streamlined and less time consuming than NROLW.
  • Joocey
    Joocey Posts: 115 Member
    Stronglifts isn't designed that well, in the sense that it's progression is poorly laid out. Starting Strength would probably be a better scheme, similar in layout, if you're looking to improve in strength.

Sorry, I don't have experience with NROLFW.

Oh, but I'll note that if you "totally don't know what I'm doing in the weight room" you should definitely consult someone for proper lifting technique and form. Squatting, deadlifting, benching, pressing... really any of the lifts done with poor form are likely to lead to injury or lack of progress! As to WHO you should ask... hmm. Depends on your gym and if you have reputable personal trainers?

In order of personal preference of people I'd trust: (1) lifting coach --> (2) friend in good shape who has lifted for 5+ years --> (3) online community --> (4) personal trainer. LOL.
  • tubzzy77
    tubzzy77 Posts: 104 Member
    Just do one for a few weeks and then do the other for a few weeks and then pick one you like better. The bottom line is do one you enjoy so you keep doing it. There's nothing worse than going to the gym to do a routine you hate doing. Lifting heavy objects should be fun.
  • tracieangeletti
    Stronglifts isn't designed that well, in the sense that it's progression is poorly laid out. Starting Strength would probably be a better scheme, similar in layout, if you're looking to improve in strength.

Sorry, I don't have experience with NROLFW.

Oh, but I'll note that if you "totally don't know what I'm doing in the weight room" you should definitely consult someone for proper lifting technique and form. Squatting, deadlifting, benching, pressing... really any of the lifts done with poor form are likely to lead to injury or lack of progress! As to WHO you should ask... hmm. Depends on your gym and if you have reputable personal trainers?

In order of personal preference of people I'd trust: (1) lifting coach --> (2) friend in good shape who has lifted for 5+ years --> (3) online community --> (4) personal trainer. LOL.

Lol! I got you on the trainers! Had a discussion with one at the gym once. Once was enough. Was thinking about having my son who has been lifting for about five years show me the ropes. Really getting excited to start. Going with the Stronglifts because I find all the isolation work tedious in most of the other programs I've tried or read about.
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    I'm doing NROLFW now. I'm on week four and have doubled my weights for both squats and deadlifts. So, just because it has more reps as part of the program, doesn't mean you aren't gaining strength. I think it's a great beginner program and focuses on having good form.

I don't personally follow the diet plan, and not sure of anyone who does. You don't HAVE to "push" the protein shakes. But he emphasizes the importance of protein if you want to build muscle. If you can't get an adequate amount through your diet, then yes, supplement with a shake. Any good program should emphasize protein if you want to build muscle.

Best of luck in whatever you choose.
  • Joocey
    Joocey Posts: 115 Member
    Lol! I got you on the trainers! Had a discussion with one at the gym once. Once was enough. Was thinking about having my son who has been lifting for about five years show me the ropes. Really getting excited to start. Going with the Stronglifts because I find all the isolation work tedious in most of the other programs I've tried or read about.

Okay! Although again I'd strongly suggest taking a look at Starting Strength. It's similar to Strong Lifts (well, I consider Strong Lifts a ripoff of Starting Strength) and it's better designed IMO.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program

Among other things, 5x5 is just too much volume when starting to build strength and will result in faster stalls. BUT ON THE OTHER HAND Starting Strength ("SS") has power cleans which, while I personally love, require some dedication to doing right.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    I have finished doing Chalean Extreme and have purchased and read NROLFW and Stronglifts 5x5 and I'm not sure which program I should do next. Has anyone done either one of these programs? What did you think of them? Stronglifts looks less complex than NROLFW but it also looks like it is geared more torwards men. Anyone have any ideas?

If you like variety, NROLFW is better. If you like simplicity, Stronglifts is better. In the beginning, especially, the program you think sounds like most fun is the best one.

The Stronglifts website definitely plays to men's vanity rather than women's, but there's nothing about the program that makes it a male-oriented program. Try to ignore the marketing hype and pay attention to the details of the lifts and workouts.
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    I read and tried the NROLFW and although I liked it, I wanted a simpler program so went with SL 5x5. I may go back to NROLFW later down the road but for now, I'm happy with SL.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    doesn't matter. flip a coin. then start. they're both the same for the first month or two anyway. give one a try for 3-6 months, then give the other a try. nobody needs to get married to the program they start out with.

the only thing that matters is that you start.
  • tracieangeletti
    Thanks for all the replies! They were very helpful and much appreciated. Checking out Starting Strength as well. Seems very similar to SL. I have to admit that lifting is not my favorite workout and I'm hoping a simpler more concise program helps with that. :-)