Help me eat low carb lunches

Options
2»

Replies

• suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    This girl eats high carb (over 80%). Why is she so skinny though if you are trying to lose weight by eating low carb?

sibe0B_JM1w-0.jpg
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I'm really at a loss on lunch. I am trying to eat LOW CARB in helps of losing weight. I've got the working out down but I'm trying to get my food under control.

Unless you have a medical reason to do so, low carb diets aren't significantly different in terms of fat loss from other diets holding cals and protein constant

There is also a medical reason which is part of it so my doctor wants me on low carb and has said it numberous times.

What is this medical condition? Can you give us some more information. What is your doctor's nutrition background?

basically in a nutshell I'm insulin resistance and because of a medical condition struggle to lose weight (ob/gyn related). My doctor referred me to a nutritionist however my insurance doesn't cover it. Both doctor and my fitness trainer said low carb is along with my exercise program should get me seeing results.

PCOS?
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    I'm really at a loss on lunch. I am trying to eat LOW CARB in helps of losing weight. I've got the working out down but I'm trying to get my food under control.

Unless you have a medical reason to do so, low carb diets aren't significantly different in terms of fat loss from other diets holding cals and protein constant

There is also a medical reason which is part of it so my doctor wants me on low carb and has said it numberous times.

What is this medical condition? Can you give us some more information. What is your doctor's nutrition background?

basically in a nutshell I'm insulin resistance and because of a medical condition struggle to lose weight (ob/gyn related). My doctor referred me to a nutritionist however my insurance doesn't cover it. Both doctor and my fitness trainer said low carb is along with my exercise program should get me seeing results.

PCOS?

If it's PCOS come check us out at P.C.O.Sis group here in MFP and you can get some ideas of how to eat from other PCOSers no offence to other's but people who don't have PCOS have a hard time understanding the special nutritional needs we have. Most of use eat low carb/gluten free and are learning other suplements that help olivate symptoms.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Okay, then, even though I would still get 2nd and third opinions making sure the Dr. means what you think he means by "low carb" and that its doable for you as he means it, there are lots of low carb diets out there with tons of recipes. Usually they allow you to eat fats.

Currently Paleo goes in this direction, there used to be atkins, and somersize. I am not advocating these but it seems like your dr. might be. ask him to look into them and tell you if they are okay for you. It will force him to examine his reasons for suggesting low carb and uncover for you whether it's just a buzz word he's heard and has begun throwing around or if he really has some specific ideas on how you should be doing this. It will also give you tons of recipes to try if he really is speaking from some solid place of confidence and research, since all of those have myriads of recipes available online and in books. Low carbing is not impossible but it's not the easiest thing to do, so I'd make sure you really need it before diving headlong into it. I've done it and lost 51 lbs on it and stayed thin for nearly a decade when returning to regular diet after.

I chose a different route this time due to the strictness of it not being something I wanted to do this time around. I'm still losing this time, as I have in the past on a non low-carb diet and so that's why I'm saying, make sure he means it and you understand what it means. Because it's easy to just say "low-carb" but he could mean "eat less carbs than you currently do" or "eat nearly only fats and proteins" and they both can mean drastically different things. Right?
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    My husband is hypoglycemic and has to stay as low to no carb as possible. His blood sugar takes a nose dive if he has any carbs and he will seizure. For him I take the large outer leaves of Romaine lettuce and fill it with grilled chicken breast or steak cut really thin and add other veggies, walnuts and cheese. He can't have those yogurts either because they are loaded with sugar. Especially those yoplait whips. He also eats a lot of oatmeal, cream of wheat and chili. Beans are a great source of protein.
  • kellyirisheyes
    kellyirisheyes Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    hard boiled eggs or tuna/salmon packets for on the go (:
    I like making omelets when I have time.