Using the crosstrainer, thighs getting bigger not slimmer

Options
I've been using the crosstrainer for 30 mins 5 x a week and I feel my legs are really heavy. My thighs don't seem to be getting any slimmer if anything I'd say they're getting bigger.

Not really what I want since my thighs are where I put on weight. Any ideas why this is happening? Will they slim down?

Replies

• ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    take measurements. then you'll know for certain if they're growing or shrinking.

our perception of something can be greatly skewed by many factors. numbers are easier to plot and track.
  • tanjelo210
    tanjelo210 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same issue. I did take measurements and my thighs were getting bigger. I think I wasn't doing enough cardio. Will see. That was baout 6 weeks ago.
  • anniecakez
    anniecakez Posts: 10
    Options
    I would of thought that 30 mins of cardio 5 x a week (not including walking to work 6 x a week) would be enough cardio. I know it's to do with the muscle but I don't want thick thighs and legs :(
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    It could be because your can't spot reduce fat. Your overall calorie deficit/surplus will determine your weight (fat/LBM) loss/gain...and your genetics will determine where it comes from/goes to first/next/last.
  • adopt321
    adopt321 Posts: 111
    Options
    I understand your concern and can empathize. You might consider lifting weights to work your legs. If your thighs are "thick" than work to compliment them. Nothing wrong with having a set of muscular legs! KWIM?
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    The only thing that can make your thighs bigger while doing cardio is from overall body fat. You will not build muscle doing the crosstrainer and eating at a deficit. You need to measure to know for sure, not just go by feel.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    The only thing that can make your thighs bigger while doing cardio is from overall body fat. You will not build muscle doing the crosstrainer and eating at a deficit. You need to measure to know for sure, not just go by feel.

This

and this
    It could be because your can't spot reduce fat. Your overall calorie deficit/surplus will determine your weight (fat/LBM) loss/gain...and your genetics will determine where it comes from/goes to first/next/last.

As someone who has always had bigger legs, I have always tended to gain there first and lose there last. I seem to lose weight from the top down.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    When did you start using the crosstrainer? Your thigh muscles could be holding onto some water weight to help cushion and heal them. This could give the perception that your leg muscles are swelling/bigger. Should go away after a while, though.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    What is the crosstrainer, please? Is it the same as an eliptical machine?