• mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Ratatouille and curry!! Yum:). They are delicious and meaty
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Baked Stuffed Eggplant

2 small-to-medium Italian eggplants (6-8 inches long, 10-12 ounces each)
    3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    1 teaspoon salt, divided
    1 large onion
    2 cloves garlic
    1 large green bell pepper, cut lengthwise into quarters
    3 plum tomatoes
    1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley, divided
    1 teaspoon sugar
    2 bay leaves
    Lemon wedges for serving
    reheat oven to 400°F. Coat a large roasting pan with cooking spray.
    2.Cut Length wise
    3.Brush the eggplant all over with 2 tablespoons oil. Sprinkle the eggplant flesh with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place cut-side down in the prepared roasting pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
    4.Meanwhile, quarter and thinly slice onion. Finely chop garlic. Thinly slice 1 bell pepper quarter and set aside; dice the remaining pepper. Cut 1 tomato into 4 wedges and set aside; dice the remaining 2 tomatoes.
    5.Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the diced bell pepper, the diced tomatoes, 1/2 cup parsley, sugar, bay leaves and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Remove from heat; discard bay leaves.
    6.After the eggplant has baked for 15 minutes, remove from the oven. Carefully turn each eggplant half over and use 2 spoons to open and widen the slits. Stuff the slits with the vegetable mixture
    7.Add 1/4 inch hot water to the roasting pan. Drizzle the eggplant with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Bake 30 minutes more.
    8.Let cool for at least 15 minutes. Serve warm or cool completely, refrigerate and serve cold
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Eggplant parmesan. :heart:
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Love eggplant, one of my favourite things to do with it is to use it to replace lasagne sheets for a low-carb lasagne (aka moussaka).

^
    This is my favorite way to do it. Probably the easiest, too. I roast mine first, before putting it into the dish.

Yes! I've done this with zucchini, but I want to try it with eggplant. It's best to roast the eggplant beforehand to get rid of some of the moisture, very true.
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I love it! Especially my aunt's homemade eggplant Parmesan. :heart:
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT!!! unfortunately find it tastes good drowned in olive oil. Throw it on the bbq with garlic. mmmmmm.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Love eggplant, one of my favourite things to do with it is to use it to replace lasagne sheets for a low-carb lasagne (aka moussaka).

^
    This is my favorite way to do it. Probably the easiest, too. I roast mine first, before putting it into the dish.

Yes! I've done this with zucchini, but I want to try it with eggplant. It's best to roast the eggplant beforehand to get rid of some of the moisture, very true.

Yep, I forgot to say to roast the eggplant first. I made a lasagne last week with one layer of egg plant, one layer of zucchini and one layer of sweet potato. Roasted capsicum (I think you Americans call the peppers) is also awesome for this too
  • von13nie
    von13nie Posts: 39
    Options
    Here are a couple of recipes. I tried (and modified) the Thai Basil Eggplant this week, I really enjoyed it. The site for the recipes has all of the nutritional information for the recipes as well.

http://caloriecount.about.com/thai-basil-eggplant-recipe-r65149
    http://caloriecount.about.com/eggplant-bharta-recipe-r8814
    http://caloriecount.about.com/eggplant-stew-recipe-r66749
  • Brandilynnrose
    Options
    I love eggplant! Slice the eggplant thin and sprinkle with sea salt- lay it out on paper towels and let it "sweat" for about a half an hour. Pat dry. Then do one of the following: roast in the oven with a little olive oil. OR...my favorite- make lasagna. Skip the noodles and use eggplant instead. Make with lowfat/fat free cheese, fresh spinach, garlic, and tomato sauce- this is an awesome lower calorie lasagna. You can also use zuchinni the same way (instead of noodles).
  • surreygirl23
    surreygirl23 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Baba Ghanoush or Imam Bayaldi (translated as 'the Imman fainted' - because it's so gorgeous!).

Two Turkish recipes that are heaven... mmmm

Aubergines (eggplant)
    Garlic
    Olive Oil
    Tomato
    Parsley/Basil

mmmm again.
  • SailorSarah311
    SailorSarah311 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I make ratatouille with it. Very delicious and can be eaten by itself or as a side. Another way to use it is as a substitute for noodles in lasagna. You could also thinly slice/shred and mix with meat to make veggie burgers.
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    We call the aubergines here, they are great in moussaka and ratatouille too x
  • Silvervixen79
    Silvervixen79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I chop it up in big chunky bite-sized pieces and add it to my vegetable chilli or to my chicken and chickpea indian curry :) Has a beautiful nutty flavour and adds another layer of flavour YUM