No weight loss since IUD

Options
Hi all, I had the copper (Paraguard) IUD for several years, over which time I steadily gained weight, about 20 pounds.

I made drastic changes in my diet and upped my exercise frequency a great deal, but for the most part my weight has not budged. At the most I have lost about 4 pounds in nearly ONE YEAR! My diet is nearly "perfect." High protein, low carb, low sugar, all natural. For example, typical meals are lowfat greek yogurt and fruit for breakfast, homemade fish and vegetables for dinner (no carbs), etc. I really can't eat much better than I do.

So this brings me back to the IUD and its effects on my body. If the IUD has changed my hormones, is there anything I can do to get them back to normal? I had the IUD taken out a few months ago, but the weight situation hasn't changed much.

Prior to the IUD, the pounds would have melted off me with all of the changes I have made and I would probably be underweight.

Replies

• cathrynfay
    cathrynfay Posts: 32
    Options
    The Paraguard IUD is a copper IUD and is not hormonal, so it doesn't alter hormones. Do you maybe mean the Mirena, which is a hormonal IUD?
  • lkenn67
    lkenn67 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    In the past I found it much easier to lose weight, but as I approached 40, hit 40 and have now passed 40... I have found it is harder and harder to lose weight. Since you had a non-hormonal IUD and have had it removed I would say it probably was not the IUD causing the difficulty losing. At 36 the effects of age on your metabolism may be a factor.

I had great success a couple of years ago. The big change I made was adding weights to my exercise routine. I was within 5 lbs of my goal. I herniated a disc in my neck and have been very limited in my exercise for the past 18 months and am once again struggling...I've actually gained almost 20lbs...the biggest change is my weight lifting routine..

I hope my reply doesn't come across as mean. I'm not meaning to call you old, since I am almost 10 yrs older than you. I would be happy to be anywhere in my 30's :happy: It was just another factor in this very confusing weight loss puzzle.