Anyone not counting sodium?

Options
This may be a dumb question, but I always do my best to stay under sodium intake. So much that I'm starting to obsess/stress about it. I've always had good BP, even when I was pregnant. So, should I be so worried about the sodium? Don't worry, not wanting to go over by 3,000mg daily or anything like that. Just don't want to be so blah about the red negative on my diary. I also of course know about the whole processed thing, but my family is on a tight budget and the only produce we have to choose from is Wal-Mart where we live. Let me tell ya, that's not always the best place to have to rely on fresh fruits and veggies... :ohwell:

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There's really no need to track it unless you have a medical condition (like me) or you're just going way over board with it.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Agree. There is no need to track your sodium unless you have a medical condition.

Potassium intake works in conjunction with sodium ... sodium stores fluid, while potassium expells it.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    U NEED TO COUNT SODUIM
    THERS A LOT OF SALT IN ALOT OF FOODS
    THATS BAD F OR U
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I don't track sodium but that's because I never even come close to my daily recommended/max amount.
  • I never track sodium, I go over my sodium every single day, try having 2500mgs of sodium when you have 4100 calories in a day, pretty sure its impossible to do
  • WonTaunTaun
    WonTaunTaun Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Agree. There is no need to track your sodium unless you have a medical condition.

Potassium intake works in conjunction with sodium ... sodium stores fluid, while potassium expells it.

I have become a fan of baked potatoes with a low cal topping because of this. :drinker:
  • amandaanderson2786
    amandaanderson2786 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i have heard that too much sodium makes you retain water and not good for the kidneys but i am also wondering the same as the op i try very hard to stay under on my sodium i check every label at the grocery store for the sodium intake mainly because sodium was my problem i love salty foods no med conditions just love salt so now i am extra cautious! i wish everything wasnt made with so much salt :(
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Since i don't eat a lot of processed foods or eat out much, I don't worry about it. If you don't like the sodium setting, change it to track something else, like fiber, iron or something else.
  • BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    What's a sodium?
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I gave up tracking sodium. I do not add it to any food but trying to get away from it is near impossible.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I don't track it at all. I try not to go overboard but I sweat enough so it's not a problem.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    It tracks in my diary but I don't pay attention to it at all. I don't have any current medical conditions and those sorts of conditions don't run in my family. If something crops up, then I will.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    me. i don't count it. only one day I almost did when i asked how to get fast results slimmed down for the weekend, but then realized I was starting to late and then went back and ate normally.
  • FeelGoodNow13
    FeelGoodNow13 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Potassium doesn't expel water, idk where that came from. But yes sodium does cause you to retain water (if you want a detailed explanation I explained the physiology behind it on my blog). I don't agree with everyone, depending on how much sodium you are taking in daily, if its very high I would recommend cutting back on salty foods.
  • amandaanderson2786
    amandaanderson2786 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Potassium doesn't expel water, idk where that came from. But yes sodium does cause you to retain water (if you want a detailed explanation I explained the physiology behind it on my blog). I don't agree with everyone, depending on how much sodium you are taking in daily, if its very high I would recommend cutting back on salty foods.
    thanks!!!:flowerforyou:
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    i dont track anything but my calories. i might sometimes accidentally notice how bad of an idea something is in the sodium department and might rethink it.. but thats rarely.. i think its great if you CAN track them all and stick to them... but i personally can only focus on one thing at a time. good luck though!!
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I don't track it, I've switched to tracking calcium, iron, fiber, vit A, and vit C.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    not tracking...
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I don't track it, but I don't eat a lot of foods that are notoriously high in sodium, either. When I do eat a high sodium food, it's because I am seriously craving salt.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I'm not tracking it at all. Don't care.