Running was fun-wait, what?!

Options
Yep. I still can't believe it.

I am on week 3 of the C25K program, and yesterday I participated in my first 5k since starting the program. Well, I did the whole interval thing (jog, walk, jog, walk) and the last mile of the 5K....I started my jog and kept going...and I found myself ENJOYING IT *gasp* I felt amazing, granted I didn't jog the entire thing but I was jogging longer than I probably have ever jogged before and if I didn't come to that hill incline, I would have probably kept jogging lol....tomorrow is week 3 day 3 for the C25K program and I am sitting here actually looking forward to it. What the heck?! Crazzzzy....lol

I have always wanted to run and be one of those people who say stuff like "Im gonna go for a run"....lol...a few weeks ago I hated running, its exhausting! Yet now I find myself anxious to continue the program and run even further for longer periods of time....
I'll work on speed later....

Replies

• ernestbecker
    ernestbecker Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I was a runner until I was 28. Ran competitively for years and loved the runner's high! Keep it up!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I hadn't run since middle school (I'm 50 now) and I started C25K in February. I had a temporary setback due to a pulled muscle (too much too fast) and switched the program over to the elliptical machine and completed it while my muscle healed. I started over on the treadmill 5 weeks ago and I'm doing each week for 2 weeks before advancing. I have come to love running also! I did my first 5K two weekends ago. I still can't believe my ears when I hear myself saying that I enjoy running!
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I am SOOOO waiting to love it. I am on week three of C25K, also. Next 5K is next month. :)
  • mrso97
    mrso97 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i love it now! i just posted progress pics....finished c210k in march..ran 10k march 16 and a 5 k Saturday...i love it!! never ran in my life til i turned 47...now its an addiction...good for you..finish the program..it only gets better from here!
  • woahohjme
    woahohjme Posts: 28
    Options
    Have you lost any weight since you started running a lot? I also started running (and doing strength training) soo just curious how running has helped you:)
  • sunshineshica
    sunshineshica Posts: 277
    Options
    Good job! Keep it up. I enjoy running outside wayyyyy more than the treadmill. It's harder but I'm not watching a clock like I do on the treadmill and that helps a lot. I normally get a tan while running outside so that's also a plus! Good luck on your journey
  • mscote12
    mscote12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Have you lost any weight since you started running a lot? I also started running (and doing strength training) soo just curious how running has helped you:)

No, I am only on week 3 and I do it 3 days a week....no weight loss yet, but thats nothing new for me lol I have heard multiple times that running will "transform" your body....uh huh...we'll see lol
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have always HATED running.. like with a PASSION. But I started running again because I had moved and gained 10 lbs I'd lost.. and I didn't have anything to work out with at home.. running was all I had now I do it and look forward to it! =)

I haven't done any races yet.. but I really want too! I might look for one after Summer..
  • actlc
    actlc Posts: 84
    Options
    I hated running for 40 years, until I gave myself a second chance to experience running starting this year.
    I have been running since then.

Yesterday, I changed to my running gears twice only to find that it's still raining outside.
    OMG, I felt disappointed. I think i'm totally hooked...
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I actually love running now. I use to only run for like soccer...actually chasing something. Never long distance. I'm up to 5 miles now and am going to do my first 12K next Friday. I'm hoping to do a full marathon at the end of summer but I'd settle for a half. I have started to lose weight. I'm super excited. It's slow, but I've fallen off the calorie intake part more than the exercise.
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I love running too. I always run along the lake. It's great. :) Although I'm not a great runner. I can only go for about 20 minutes at a time. Plus I'm not a fast runner. But oh well.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I think too many people go into it with a preconcieved dislike of it that they never get the full enjoyment of running. that 'letting-your-body-run-free' feeling and high. It's there for anyone who embraces it. Or at least for most.
  • mscote12
    mscote12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Today was week 3, day 3 and instead of jogging 3 minutes on my last interval...I felt I could keep going-so I did and I jogged a full 6 minutes! I know this probably doesn't seem like much but for someone who a few weeks ago could barely pull off a minute....6 is a big deal. Im so excited!!!

I could have probably kept going but was told by the instructor not to push too hard, this program is about easing your way into it...which clearly it is working.
    Week 4 starts Thursday! :)
  • woahohjme
    woahohjme Posts: 28
    Options
    Haha yeah I havent weighed myself yet. I don't want to get discouraged and not doing anymore just because I don't see any change on the scale. Keep up the good work!!:)

No, I am only on week 3 and I do it 3 days a week....no weight loss yet, but thats nothing new for me lol I have heard multiple times that running will "transform" your body....uh huh...we'll see lol
  • xgirl451
    xgirl451 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I started running a year ago and know the feeling. The last two races I saw pictures from were taken while it was raining. In both, I'm grinning like an idiot! Apparently, I like it, even in the rain.
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I never thought I would be one of those people who love running either. I always got short of breath when I even approached a jog. Funny how life works.
  • InspiredSAM
    InspiredSAM Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Perfect timing! I have also ALWAYS hated running. I remember the torture in 7th grade when they made us run the mile every Friday.

Today I did the very first day of C25K and am so proud of myself. But I think I need to invest in a good pair of running shoes, my shins hurt something fierce.
  • LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I've been running for about a year and a half now and yes, I am totally addicted and get that goofy grin on my face when I find someone that shares my new passion. I have found that I actually love running in the rain (living in Seattle, you kind of have to). If it's been a few days since I've gotten to run, I start looking at joggers on the road with such jealousy. I've also learned that if I am wanting to smack someone, if I go for a run, the desire slowly goes away. I can get on with my day and I'm a better person for it.
  • FeelingLessChubby
    FeelingLessChubby Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm doing C25k too! :) I've been so lazy in the past, now I do it 4 times a week and I love how I feel. Even if I feel tired or not in the mood, I tell myself I'll feel better once I do it, and it's only like 40 minutes anyway! So I go and do it.

But the funny thing is - I'm on my 4th week of week 1 now ha ha - they say it's ok to repeat a week, so I've repeated week 1 4 times so far! I know you may think it's idiotic, but when I completed it the first time, I didn't feel I was ready to move on to week 2. So I repeated one week. Then a friend of mine was supposed to join me, but she cancelled at the last minute. She didn't do any exercise except pilates, so not wanting to get too far ahead of her I repeated week 1 yet again. Then she joined me just once, this was the first day of week 4. Now I'm done with the 4th week and I feel like I want to move on to week 2 - but she still wants to run with me!

I suppose the most important thing is that I'm running and enjoying it! :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club hun. Running IS fun. This is only the start.