is it or is it not?

Options
zuzka
zuzka Posts: 26 Member
shall i count walking thorough day to my exercise as well...i am on my feet all day in work as waitress...?????

Replies

• gecallo
    gecallo Posts: 135
    Options
    YES! I hear waitresses (in busy restaurants) can burn some quality cals throughout the day.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Did you already include it when you set up your profile? If yes, then no, otherwise you're double-dipping so to speak and it will actually hurt you because you could eat back too many calories, decreasing your deficit MFP created. If no, then consider how many days you waitress. If you work at least 5 days a week, then I would change the setting in MFP to reflect your job as a waitress so it will automatically be added in to your daily allotment.
  • sroseber
    sroseber Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    When I do something like a lot of shopping or like yesterday we took the kids to the zoo, that involves a lot of walking but isn't "exercise" I put it in as walking, slow pace, 2.0 mph and sometimes cut a little time off how long I did it depending on how much stopping and/or sitting is involved during that time. Like yesterday at the zoo, we were there for a little over 5 hours but part of the time was sitting eating lunch or sitting to watch a show, etc. So I put in 4 hours. I don't walk a lot at my job so I don't put in my day to day walking but if I had a job that I did walk a lot I probably would. Maybe even get a pedometer or heart rate monitor to track it to see how much you're actually doing instead of just guessing.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    You should only count that walking if when you set up your goals you have your activity level as sedentary. If you picked moderately active and you log 6+ hours of walking the site will tell you to eat way too many calories. It would be the same as logging your exercise twice.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Depends. Did you set your activity level as "Sedentary" or "Lightly Active" or one of the other choices? If you put sendentary, I would definately put all that walking in! If you did one of the others, I would be leary of entering ALL of it. Try one way for a few weeks, see where you are. If it's working, stick with it until it doesn't. Once it quits working, try another option. No ONE thing is going to continue to get results all the time. You will have to change it up everyonce in a while.

Good luck finding what works for you!
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the folks here have already responded as I would: what did you set your activity level to at the beginning.

I might also add that if you make your regular activity a little more challenging, I can double dip in a good way. Meaning, get those little ankle weights that are pretty discreet but add 1-3 pounds on each leg. A few hours of that and you've gotten in a great lower body tone without taking the time to actually work out in the gym. The way you would manage your cals for that is to wear an HRM without the additional challenge one day, and then subtract whatever you burned there against those cals you burned when you add the challenge. I've also heard that those crazy bowed shoes (sketchers has a line, I think) are supposed to be really good for adding a bit of a challenge to regular activities.

cheers!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options

I might also add that if you make your regular activity a little more challenging, I can double dip in a good way. Meaning, get those little ankle weights that are pretty discreet but add 1-3 pounds on each leg. A few hours of that and you've gotten in a great lower body tone without taking the time to actually work out in the gym.
    cheers!
    What a truly fab & unique (to ME!) idea! :)
  • zuzka
    zuzka Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    thanks guys..set up my account ages ago..so didnt realize there was something said about my lifestyle...gonna check it :)))) and the idea with the weights is brilliant...thought about it....got to give it a try:)))