Swimming, leiserly, general

dnsnowden
dnsnowden Posts: 6
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Okay, I took my kids swimming and I was in the water for at least 2 hours. I was always in motion although not always swimming laps or treading. I put in 120 minutes and it says 1236 calories! That can't be right,is it?

Replies

• CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    I wish! Sounds a little high to me. I swam 60 minutes yesterday and it gave me 400 cals.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    I don't think so. I mean, when you're swimming laps you're really working your entire body and keeping your heart rate up. And when you're at the pool w/ the kids although it is active it's not the same as swimming laps.

I went and swam a mile first and then took my kids to the pool for a few hours this afternoon. I was definitely not working as hard just playing w/ the kids as when I was swimming laps! :laugh: But still fun anyway!
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    prob not!! Else i'm gonna adopt some kids and swim every day! :wink:
    When I put in leisurely swimming i normall only do like half of the time i actually in the pool. I think the cal count is based on you actually SWIMming the whole time.
  • dnsnowden
    dnsnowden Posts: 6
    prob not!! Else i'm gonna adopt some kids and swim every day! :wink:
    When I put in leisurely swimming i normall only do like half of the time i actually in the pool. I think the cal count is based on you actually SWIMming the whole time.

I will do that then, it seemed high, although I honestly was swimming quite a bit, did probably 20 laps as well. They are older so I really don't have to be with them the whole time. I do still weigh almost 230 also, probably why the number is so high.
  • ta2dgela
    ta2dgela Posts: 3
    def. doesnt sound right!! take it from someone who swims nearly every day. for example...today i did 20 minutes..vigorous swimming...fast pace....no breaks really.....and it was only like 270 + calories.....whole reason for burning calories is keeping your heart rate up!! in order to do so you have to constantly keep your body moving....Now...swimming is one of the best forms of cardio without putting pressure on the joints..but other then that you can only really get so much out of it. Not unless you do it for a long periods of time and on regular basis. :)
  • ta2dgela
    ta2dgela Posts: 3
    my bad!!....230+ calories..lol wishful thinking on that 270 :p lmao
This discussion has been closed.