Question about walking on treadmill

Options
2»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    ....but DO eat those calories you "earn" with exercise. That's important.
  • sherrylynn56
    Options
    I will try the incline. I have a n incline thing on my tread mill. I will do 1 or 2 incline a week, and see how that works. I don't want to cut back on the time if I can help it. But anything is worth a try. Thanks :happy: :smile:
  • sherrylynn56
    Options
    But it is oh so hard to eat more than I want just for the calories.
  • tptouchdown
    tptouchdown Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Keeping you heart rate up for the full time is better, but don't push yourself. If you hurt yourself you will need to stop. You are the only one who knows your body. Keep trying to increase the time a little at a time. Once you reach the time you want to keep then increase the speed. Next vary the workout by increasing the elevation. Know your limits and don't push past them until your body is ready for it. You don't sound like an athlete so pushing your body past your limit will not help you.
  • sherrylynn56
    Options
    You are right about the tv but my treadmill is in the other room so I look out the window and listen to my book on my kindle. That keeps me from getting too bored. I have thought about a little tv but I really don't know where I could put it. The room is a little small with my computer desk, my rolltop desk and my treadmill and my radio-cd player are. The room is only 10x10.:ohwell: :ohwell:
  • sherrylynn56
    Options
    Doctors don't always know what you can do. That is WONDERFUL what you have been able to do. I know it will just take time. I just get inpatient with my self. And When my husband wants to be an *kitten* he will say I am not doing anything. But then I just close my ears to him. He gets to be a grumpy old man. And the older he gets the grumpier he gets. But will keep going because I know I need to do more. It just takes time and incouragment and I have gotten more of that in the last 24 hours than I have gotten in the last 29 years being married And I thank Everyone who has commented on my Post. Thanks So Much. :flowerforyou:

But
  • terri_journey
    terri_journey Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I do keep good shoes for walking. But I think I am just going to do the treadmill until I can go back to the Gym. And at the moment money is a factor. I do what I can do with what I have. At least I do have my treadmill. I do not like to walk around the on the sidewalks.

Perhaps walking in a grassy field would be easier on your feet. Tredmills can be pretty rough on your feet at times
    You can have all the good shoes you want, Walking on a treadmill is Hard for some people. I would advise you to listen to your body. Maybe it would be easier walking outside but, By all means listen to Your body. Short burst of cardio is better for you than to workout for 30 min and then be in pain and can't walk for days. Your body knows best. I wish you all the best.
  • sherrylynn56
    Options
    No I am not anymore. I was too busy with raising two boys and not killing them. :heart: . They were good kids. But I just didn't seem to have time for myself over the years. My family always came first and second. What I want or needed always came last or never. Now it is time for me. I know I need to take it slow, but like I have said I get inpatient with myself and that is not good for me because then I don't finish and that is even more unfair for me.
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you're doing on the treadmill until it becomes easier. You're making progress!

We need more details about your eating to make a recommendation there.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Have you tried looking into some of those insoles from Scholls? My feet used to kill me after standing at work for 3-4 straight hours, but after I got a pair of those, I haven't dealt with any pain from standing and walking around the whole time.
  • sherrylynn56
    Options
    I have a very hard time on grass and tracks or soft areas because I have weak ankles and that is why I have Arth. in my right foot. Because I broke it and thought it was just another bad sprain. I didn't know that I broken my foot for like 20 years when I started having a lot of pain in the fall and winter and the Doc. took exrays and asked me when I had broken my foot and I told him never and he showed me the exray. I couldn't believe I didn't know. But that was and still is me. I go to far and suffer later down the road if I don't watch myself. :embarassed:
  • sherrylynn56
    Options
    I try to eat a lot of fresh fruit and Veggies. I am not a real big eater. Mainly just eat the wrong things. And I am trying to change that little at a time. I have really Cut back on the bread and wheat because I know it can really be bad for most people and so I try to eat as little wheat and bread products that I can. But I do like my fresh fruit and Veggies. That is why we have a garden and fruit trees in our back yard and new cheery tree's in the front and Pear tree on the side of our house. Some are just a couple of years old but the apple and peach are good size and good producers last year and hopefully this year. I have gotten to where I like more fish and I know that is good for me. Plus I like Chicken and turkey. baked or Bar B Que. But I also am learning to cut back on most things. But like everything it is taking time. We do not eat al of fried foods or a lot of Hamburgers at fast food places. We go out a couple or three times a month but there mostly seafood. :happy:
  • sherrylynn56
    Options
    I never have gotten any but I guess I should. I also have a pretty bad back from being bucked off a horse a couple of times and landing on my back. I was pretty young when that happened. My parents never bothered to take me to the doctor to have me checked out. They thought I could walk I was fine. I suffered years down the road. That and the kind of work I have done for so many years. Lifting elderly people, and helping them in and out of bed and just everyday care for the elderly. Being a C.N.A. is a VERY hard job on your back.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    You are right about the tv but my treadmill is in the other room so I look out the window and listen to my book on my kindle. That keeps me from getting too bored. I have thought about a little tv but I really don't know where I could put it. The room is a little small with my computer desk, my rolltop desk and my treadmill and my radio-cd player are. The room is only 10x10.:ohwell: :ohwell:

The computer can be your TV. You can watch whole movies or shows on youtube, borrow dvd movies from your public library, and I if you have cable you can connect the feed from the TV to the computer with a cable wire. I can not do the treadmile without watching TV. As others have suggested, put insoles in your shoes. Dr. Scholl has that equipment in many stores, including Walmart, CVS, Target, that you step in and according to how your gait is the machine recommends a specific pair. But quality shoes is what you should invest, more important than gym membership. Try to avoid anything made in China. For sports shoes go to a sports sore where they check the foot based on gait. You can try goodfeet.com to see if there is a store near you for casual shoes.
  • Crystal1114
    Crystal1114 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had the same space issues so at first I used my computer as a tv but eventually ended up placing a bookshelf with a small tv directly in front of the treadmill and it helps me keep my mind off the pain from arthritis in my knees and feet good luck

The computer can be your TV. You can watch whole movies or shows on youtube, borrow dvd movies from your public library, and I if you have cable you can connect the feed from the TV to the computer with a cable wire. I can not do the treadmile without watching TV. As others have suggested, put insoles in your shoes. Dr. Scholl has that equipment in many stores, including Walmart, CVS, Target, that you step in and according to how your gait is the machine recommends a specific pair. But quality shoes is what you should invest, more important than gym membership. Try to avoid anything made in China. For sports shoes go to a sports sore where they check the foot based on gait. You can try goodfeet.com to see if there is a store near you for casual shoes.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    If you're having joint pain and issues, are you taking any supplements? I've been having some difficulty with one of my knees, I've started taking Animal Flex, which is a supplement pack that aims to help lubricate your joints and rebuild cartilage. It may be beneficial for someone with arthritis, any extra cushioning in your joints will do wonders to reduce your pain levels. And as others have already said, listen to your body. If it hurts you're over doing it.