Patellar Tendonitis

Options
So... I have tendonitis in my knees. I think its from using improper form when squatting and lunging. I did not realize I was using improper form once I start to get tired until someone noticed and corrected me. But anyway now I have tendonitis. I was told to just rest it until "it feels better" but how long does that usually take? Its pretty bad, I've been working out anyway through the pain but over the last couple of days its been pretty unbearable. I'm planning to just do exercises that won't bother my knees until they're better.

Replies

• When you squat is knee valgus a problem ? Sonds like it could be causing that pain
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I found that running knee straps helped mine relax more than any other therapy or medicine I tried. men's sweatbands fit nicely on my legs, so I rotated them from upper to lower through the day...even sitting hurt. Now, I'm pain free a month later and back at 'em. A 5K where I pushed it too hard at the end flared mine up...it was that. A flare. Once I got them relaxed again, they stayed that way. I also did exercises for runners. Google Runner's World Iron Runner's Workout and there are a lot of nice ones there while you rehab.
  • lalonmeg000
    lalonmeg000 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I also did exercises for runners. Google Runner's World Iron Runner's Workout and there are a lot of nice ones there while you rehab.

^^^
    this

also you could try KT tape, it's kind of the love child of a knee brace and sports tape to put simply. Anyways its more flexible than a brace which I like but yet I don't fear cutting off my circulation from too tight of a wrap. If you live in the states you can find at most CVS, Academy or local running stores. That and some anti-inflammatory is what got me through my tendonitis.

oh and it took a good 4 weeks before my knee was good to go pain free. I did cut back a bit on running and squats as to not injure it more.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be working out until you are healed. You are just making your problem worse and prolonging your condition. The ONLY exercise you should be doing involving your knees is the prescribed physical therapy from your doctor.
  • MissUkamaka
    MissUkamaka Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with kellijauch. I have had my tendonitis since July 2012. I have done physical therapy but I will admit, I found most relief when I recently tried acupuncture. I do not understand the science behind it, but it restored my knee to about 95%. I plan to keep up with the acupuncture. I also stretch whenever I can and do exercises aimed at strengthening my quads and hips.

I will update you in a couple of months to let you know if the acupuncture is still helping (I am a skeptic at heart lol).