accidentally invented a great salad dressing

maryvick
maryvick Posts: 12
edited September 21 in Recipes
i love hummus and often have it with dipping veggies instead of a salad when i get tired of lettuce -- but tonight i made a big salad and realized i had no salad dressing at all ---- i put one hundred calories worth of hummus on top of the salad and then poured a fair amount (4 tbsp or so) of balsamic vinegar on top of it -- mixed it a little with a fork then tossed the salad
it made a great, creamy, interesting salad dressing that was healthy and had protein and not much fat --- plan to do that again!

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    I use hummus as a dressing all the time, yum! :smile:

~Leash :heart:
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Thanks I'm always looking for ways to sneak in more protien. Curves has a recipe in there book for for hundren calorie lunch that I love. 2 Tbs. humus, 4 ounce chicken breast, 2 slices whole wheat bread, 1/2 c. spincach leaves, I use martins bread 70cal. per slice and makes yummy toast not card board
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    that sounds great! i'm always looking for ways to make dressings, and i have an abundance of hummus and balsamic vinegar.
  • Fabulocity
    Fabulocity Posts: 157 Member
    I am also a hummus lover. Thanks for the recipe!:flowerforyou:
  • How many tbsp's of hummus makes 100 cal?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    mmmmm yummy

I did the same thing with Greek yogurt. I had chopped my cucumbers and tomatoes before I realized I was out of dressing. My choice was full fat ranch:sad:

I grabbed the other 1/2 of the plain yogurt (had 1/2 on my baked pot the day before) mixed in some chopped cucs and fresh dill from my garden..........added parsley because I could.........salt and pepper and tossed all of it with salad greens.

It was great!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    How many tbsp's of hummus makes 100 cal?

I use Sabra and 2 tbls is 70 calories.
  • maryvick
    maryvick Posts: 12
    i think it's four tablespoons makes a hundred of the kind i use -- but i use one of the individual servings tubs because i know that it is one hundred --- the kind that come four or six little tubs in a cardboard package!
    it is also possible to make homemade bean-free hummus using zucchini and tahini and garlic and spices in a blender -- i haven't made that in a while because the store-bought is so convenient --- a hundred calorie mini tub plus a slew of raw vegs plus an apple AND a banana makes a great lunch to take along --- for under 300 calories ---
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    mmmm....I'll have to try that!
This discussion has been closed.