Fat/carbs/sugar/protein/sugar per day?

Options
Hi,
I was hoping someone can help me. The Dr put me on a 1,200 cal/per day but I'm having problems figuring out how much fat, carbs, sugar, protein and sugar I'm supposed to eat per day to stay within the recommended guidelines.

I have looked all over the internet but different sites stated different things.. I would love some input as I'm doing something wrong as I only lost 1.5 pounds in three weeks(!) I have a slow metabolism but I was hoping for a much better weight loss than 1.5 pounds..... (I exercise 2-3 times a week but slowed down this week as I injured a knee.)

Any help and advice would be highly appreciated!!

Thank you

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It will vary, it generally is suggested to get 1g of protein and .35g of fat per lb of lean body mass. How much do you weigh and do you know your body fat? Also, do not stress sugar. It's a carb. If carbs are moderate, your sugar will be too. It would be a bigger concern to track fiber and sodium.

Also, is your metabolism legitimately slow (like you have hypothyroidism) or is that your assumption because you aren't losing a lot of weight?
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    inb4 dead horse, but my experience the lower sugar the lower cravings I get. Protein repairs muscles and carbs give you energy... with that said I don't think 1200 calories is sustainable with or without exercise. If you have a lot of weight to lose macros aren't really that important and just focus on the calories and exercise.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity why did your doctor put you on a 1200 kcal/day diet? You dont have to answer if personal of course. What did he base that number off of?
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I do 40/30/30 for carbs/protein/fat and I don't track the other stuff, it seems more reasonable than the default on MFP which is pretty low for protein. I am definitely less hungry when I get more protein.
    the 40/30/30 was "the zone" but I have seen it recommend by various sites/trainers.
  • darrenkhalaf
    darrenkhalaf Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think you should weight for the results and if you are not satisfied better consult to your doctor because as you are under
    his treatment he will better what mistakes are there and it will be much more easy to recognize.
  • fatsoinuk2013
    Options
    Hi guys,
    I'll answer the questions in one go:

-The Dr actually put me on a 1,000 cal which I followed for two weeks but after reading it's dangerous, I added 200 cal per day.
    -The Dr told me I had a slow metabolism but all tests came back normal. (I have been gaining a lot of weight in the last year for some unknown reason as I eat healthy before I started this diet.
    -My BMI is 23% [Which is not that high, I know but as a result, my whole wardrobe is too small...]
    -I wish I could exercise properly [=high impact] but due to numerous [old] injuries, it's a challenge.

My weight loss goal is 'only' 10 pounds but I have been trying for four months to lose some weight [though only 3 weeks with this low cal intake]. However, I estimate that the cal intake the first three months were about 1,600/day.

Thank you so much for your answers - it's much appreciated!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi guys,
    I'll answer the questions in one go:

-The Dr actually put me on a 1,000 cal which I followed for two weeks but after reading it's dangerous, I added 200 cal per day.
    -The Dr told me I had a slow metabolism but all tests came back normal. (I have been gaining a lot of weight in the last year for some unknown reason as I eat healthy before I started this diet.
    -My BMI is 23% [Which is not that high, I know but as a result, my whole wardrobe is too small...]
    -I wish I could exercise properly [=high impact] but due to numerous [old] injuries, it's a challenge.

My weight loss goal is 'only' 10 pounds but I have been trying for four months to lose some weight [though only 3 weeks with this low cal intake]. However, I estimate that the cal intake the first three months were about 1,600/day.

Thank you so much for your answers - it's much appreciated!!

My first tip, don't go to a Dr. for nutrition. Go to a dietitian. Unless your Dr has a specialty in nutrition, most of them are clueless. And 1200 calories is pretty ridiculous for someone who has 10 lbs to lose. More than likely, you should be eating a lot more than that. And the reason you aren't losing is your aren't fueling your body, which is pretty common. And with 10 lbs to lose, you can only expect 1/2 lb per week... maybe 1 lb if you are lucky. Also, if you really want to know if you have a slower metabolism, get a RMR test done. Now keep in mind though, you can suppress your RMR if you under eat for a given time.

What kind of exercise are you doing and for how long? Also, what are your stats, like height weight and age? Based on history, I would probably think 1600+ calories is better for you then your current plan.
  • fatsoinuk2013
    Options
    Hi,

Thank you for your input and I think you are right - I will go and see a dietitian instead!

Thanks!