Farm Fresh Eggs

Options
2»

Replies

• affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    When I was in a small town in France and later in Italy, I found that people did not necessarily keep their eggs in refrigerators, but in a cool cellar. I was told that they could last for 3-4 weeks as long as it was not refrigerated. Once refrigerated, you must keep eggs cold. The yolks were very dark orange, a little scary at first, but they tasted incredible! Even the kids noticed, and still talk about how delicious simple scrambled eggs tasted on our European trip.

Non-supermarket eggs last a very long time and do not need refrigeration. We never refrigerate our hens eggs, and there's never a reason to. If we build up too big of a supply, we just give some to the neighbors. We don't even keep them in a cellar, just in our kitchen.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Huh, do you normally eat pasteurized eggs? The ones in the store here are definitely not pasteurized.

FWIW, I would definitely definitely go for them. They taste better, they are more fresh, and if the hens have had a more varied diet they'll have a more varied array of micronutrients.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    If you are cooking your eggs, it will kill any bacteria that might be in there. However, eggs from pastured hens are far less likely to be contaminated with salmonella than eggs from the grocery store. They are so much better for you and SO good! We have chickens and I couldn't eat a store bought egg if I tried. *gag*
  • phieaglefan
    phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Urban chicken farmer speaking up here: EAT THE EGGS!!!! Chickens who have access to pasture eat a varied diet, leading to higher levels of omega 3's and overall healthier chickens, which means healthier eggs. Also, the eggs you get will be pretty darn fresh, as opposed to eggs that have been sitting around a looooooooooooooooong time in a refrigerator. And your risk of illness is much lower. Ask your farmer if they wash the eggs. If they do, put them straight in the fridge. If they don't, keep them on your counter or in the fridge, washing only right before you use them (they have a natural anti-microbial barrier). And then nomnomnom those delicious eggies! (yep, just a little enthusiastic about eggs. :smile: )

This!
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    All I know is they taste soo much better. Yumm