Trainers

melb_alex
melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
Trainers can you please tell me a quicker and more effective way of getting rid of DOMS? My doctor prescribed steroids but yeah don't want to even go down THAT route.

Any help would be much appreciated

:)

Replies

• melb_alex
    Anyone ????
  • tubzzy77
    tubzzy77 Posts: 104 Member
    I'm no trainer, but foam rolling works wonders.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    A long cool down and active recovery on off days. The more you move the muscle the more blood circulation there is the faster the lactic acid is flushed out.
  • melb_alex
    A long cool down and active recovery on off days. The more you move the muscle the more blood circulation there is the faster the lactic acid is flushed out.

argh I hate recovering I would work out every day if I could.

So are you saying I need to be more active on recovery days??
  • melb_alex
    I'm no trainer, but foam rolling works wonders.

oooo what is foam rolling?
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member

argh I hate recovering I would work out every day if I could.

So are you saying I need to be more active on recovery days??
    Yes move more on off days. DOMS also subside as your muscles ger used to being stressed. Make sure during your workouts your are breathing correctly and also keep hydrated. If it is really bad warm up the muscle and stretch.
  • mbcasey2009
    mbcasey2009 Posts: 52 Member
    Yes to active recovery! Walk/jog, stretching, will work the soreness out. Foam rolling is great as well, but if you've never done it you'll hate me for a while until you get used to it. :) Worth it in the end though! I always take BCAA's as well to combat any muscle soreness and also aid in recovery. Good luck. Hurts so good!
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Advil/Alleve. :) And, yes, movement helps, though it can be pretty painful initially.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Working out everyday isn't very smart unless you're doing cardio.
  • melb_alex
    Working out everyday isn't very smart unless you're doing cardio.

Thanks everyone :) I am interested to know more about this Foam rolling? I can move my arms easily now (Couldn't for 2-3 days) so it may work?

p.s I don't work out everyday (last guy) if I want to do a cheat session I do extra cardio,
  • tubzzy77
    tubzzy77 Posts: 104 Member
    http://camilleherron.com/2012/02/15/how-to-foamlacrosse-ball-roll-the-critical-body-parts/

pretty good introduction to foam rolling. I usually only foam roll the sore parts for a few mins several times a day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,940 Member
    PNF (proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation) stretching (which usually includes foam rolling) and as mentioned, active recovery.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • koko12
    koko12 Posts: 81 Member
    google or youtube foam rolling.

stretching, staying hydrated, eating correctly. and getting used to being sore. its the best some times. you'll miss it one day lol
  • fitnessfreddie
    fitnessfreddie Posts: 74 Member
    STRETCH!!!! Especially right after a workout.
  • melb_alex
    STRETCH!!!! Especially right after a workout.

*You Tubes Foam Rolling*

Might need one!

Thanks guys I am about to head off and train so wish me luck ;)
  • majasmi
    majasmi Posts: 133 Member
    steroids for DOMS?!... thats hardcore.
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    ^all of that. also alternating hot and cold showers (1min hot/1min cold- repeat) will increase blood circulation. that will give you more of a immediate and short term relieve however.
  • melb_alex
    ^all of that. also alternating hot and cold showers (1min hot/1min cold- repeat) will increase blood circulation. that will give you more of a immediate and short term relieve however.

ohhhhhhhhhh this is good i am going to try that because it's pretty self explanatory

ta :)