Protein Powder Help Please

2»

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Optimum nutrition is one of the most popular brands, and I have been very happy with their gold standard 100% whey. I love the extreme milk chocolate flavor.

I use ON myself, and I'm lactose intolerant too and do fine on it. I've tried and liked their Double Chocolate, Rocky Road, and Mocha Cappuccino. Just ordered the mint chocolate one.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Protein powder can be a difficult choice because there are so many and so many views on the subject.

You will have lots of people tell you use whey isolate after workouts because it absorbs fast and milk casein before bed because it digests slow. It is all over the health and fitness forums online, especially bb.com.

There are many popular whey blends out there that give you the best of both worlds in a time release blend. Gaspari Myofusion, Dymatize Elite XT, and Nutri-shop's Pro7tein Synthesis are all ones I have used with good success. I take Pro7tein because it is really low fat and low carb and the highest level of protein for the least calories. All of the blends are about the same though, some have more sugar and some have more sweeteners...you have decided if that is ok.

However...whey is really hard on the stomach and so is casein if you have ANY dairy issues at all, so be prepared to test out other protein powders if you feel you need to supplement your protein grams. I rotate my protein powders because I just feel excessive amounts of any ONE food (and that is what milk products are) is going to cause issues.
    I use many protein powders:
    egg protein (too many brands to mention, as long as you are not sensitive to eggs this is a good second choice)
    beef protein (sounds gross but it taste just like every other protein powder, really good for muscle retention)
    plant base proteins ( pea, rice, hemp, plant blends) I love Sun Warrior products because they don't have soy, most plant based proteins are formulated to be 98% as close to mother's milk as they can get so they are super digestible)

So bottom line if you use one, use one that you can digest and not develop an intolerance to but they all have pros and cons. BUT getting protein from FOOD is always the BEST way to get protein...your body was designed to get it from food, not processed powders.

But we all need help getting all our nutrients in. I have a big problem getting 100+ grams of protein in without supplementing so though I know it is not the best way to get it, I use powder to ensure I am at optimal protein levels during training.
  • madisons_mummy
    madisons_mummy Posts: 169 Member
    Wow so much information, thanks everyone :)

I will read into it more after dinner :P

I just need something that will top my protein levels up after doing 5x5 SL workouts and help me build some muscle :bigsmile: The prices here in NZ are outrageous :(
  • madisons_mummy
    madisons_mummy Posts: 169 Member
    Don't get too caught up in the brand.

I was only looking for something with more than 25 grams of protein and this was it. After doing some reading on it just now, it sounds like the best there is regarding taste and protein content.

So next month I will be buying some :bigsmile: