I CAN'T GO TO THE BATHROOM!!! HELP

Options
1235»

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    My son has regular constipation, which has resulted in something called a 'super colon'. The doctor likened his colon to old pantyhose. They get stretched out over time and can't go back to the normal size, so his sphincter can't recognize that it's time to go unless it's overloaded. He is five and was going every five to six days. Yes, five to six days regularly. You should have seen his new pediatrician's face when we said that. He is a five year old and clogs the toilet every time he goes. Did I mention he only weighs 38 pounds? We now have him on a half dose of Miralax every single day. Probably would want more for an adult but it has done such wonders. He's been taking it for about two months and is going every few days now and doesn't clog it up anymore. His colon is slowly shrinking back to its normal size. So, if you have regular constipation, stick with the miralax for more than a few days. Give your colon time to return to normal.

Miralax can have high serum potassium levels as a side effect. Long term use needs to be monitored for this. If potassium levels go too high, it can stop a heart.
  • jsmith2377
    jsmith2377 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My son has regular constipation, which has resulted in something called a 'super colon'. The doctor likened his colon to old pantyhose. They get stretched out over time and can't go back to the normal size, so his sphincter can't recognize that it's time to go unless it's overloaded. He is five and was going every five to six days. Yes, five to six days regularly. You should have seen his new pediatrician's face when we said that. He is a five year old and clogs the toilet every time he goes. Did I mention he only weighs 38 pounds? We now have him on a half dose of Miralax every single day. Probably would want more for an adult but it has done such wonders. He's been taking it for about two months and is going every few days now and doesn't clog it up anymore. His colon is slowly shrinking back to its normal size. So, if you have regular constipation, stick with the miralax for more than a few days. Give your colon time to return to normal.

Miralax can have high serum potassium levels as a side effect. Long term use needs to be monitored for this. If potassium levels go too high, it can stop a heart.

His pediatrician prescribed it. They also have our 11 month old on it now for the same concerns. Trust me when I say, when you have to sit with your child once a week for HOURS in the bathroom as they wrestle with their constipation for about 3 years, you see the beauty in Miralax.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Just a concern I have regarding this, but wouldn't eating fiber at this point just make things worse if there was some sort of blockage? My concern is that she may back things up even worse making the uncomfort even more unbearable.

I agree, I would not over do it on the fiber, especially since you have the LapBand.
    Do you generally have issues processing certain types of foods? I have LapBand too, and I have many problems with it. I can't stand a lot of fruits and veggies, they just sit in my stomach and never get digested. When this happens, it is so uncomfortable and often leads to vomiting. Anyways, I would also follow-up with your bariatric surgeon to see if this issue could be something due to the banding.

Good luck!

I'm not a doctor, and I do not play one on TV either. But it doesn't sound like regular constipation to me. And contacting the bariatric doctor sounds logical. Maybe they will find out whats going on after the results of your test are read. Good luck darling. I praying they help you ASAP. Let us know your okay. Maybe part of the band is pressing in the wrong place. I hope they figure it out soooon.
  • erink210
    erink210 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am hoping that you are in the ER, but if not GO! This is not normal and you can be doing serious damage to your body. If a bowel obstruction isn't taken care of you can become septic. My prayers are that you get some relief. DO NOT LET THEM TELL YOU IT ISN"T A BIG DEAL! DON'T LEAVE WITHOUT YOUR BOWELS MOVING!!!!