Where has horror gone?

Options
2»

Replies

• daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Bleh, never been into "creature" horror films anyhow so I cant really sympathize with their demise. If you want more creativity and true horror you gotta look to Europe and Asia. I am still traumatized from movies such as Martyrs and A Serbian Film.
  • tammys_changing
    Options
    tumblr_mg6l2utUbp1qzxlt6o1_500.gif

Awwwww, so cute :love:

I knew I should not of entered this thread right before bed time. Creepy
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    For the record, Warm Bodies was actually pretty good. Not a horror film, but good. There haven't been many good, original horror films in a while. That's probably at least somewhat due to the current times. Historically, people prefer horror films when things are going well. When things go sour, the country as a whole tends to want a more optimistic escapism.
  • mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I agree with billsica: those movies you mentioned aren't horror movies. I don't see them as "ruining the genre," because they aren't even in the genre. Also agree that the new Evil Dead was pretty fun.

What'd you think of The Cabin in the Woods (2012)? Also, there have been some GREAT zombie movies in the last few years! Don't write them all off. Just to name a few: 28 Days Later (2002), Zombieland (2009), Shaun of the Dead (2004). I think it's easy to remember the crap ones and forget about the gems.

Also, I'm not totally opposed to crossing genres with creature features. Sticking with the zombie theme, Fido (2006) was awesome.

Oh yeah, and Let the Right One In (2008) was a really good vampire movie imho. I suppose there is sort of a "romantic" element to it (though it's sort of debatable), but if you haven't seen it, trust me it's not like Twilight.

Edited to add: I thought about it and realized that a couple of my examples aren't great for your criticism. You specifically criticized Hollywood, and I believe 28 Days Later had no Hollywood influence, Let the Right One In is a Swedish film, and Shaun of the Dead, though produced by Universal Studios, is British.
  • UrnAsh
    UrnAsh Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I agree with billsica: those movies you mentioned aren't horror movies. I don't see them as "ruining the genre," because they aren't even in the genre. Also agree that the new Evil Dead was pretty fun.

What'd you think of The Cabin in the Woods (2012)? Also, there have been some GREAT zombie movies in the last few years! Don't write them all off. Just to name a few: 28 Days Later (2002), Zombieland (2009), Shaun of the Dead (2004). I think it's easy to remember the crap ones and forget about the gems.

Also, I'm not totally opposed to crossing genres with creature features. Sticking with the zombie theme, Fido (2006) was awesome.

Oh yeah, and Let the Right One In (2008) was a really good vampire movie imho. I suppose there is sort of a "romantic" element to it (though it's sort of debatable), but if you haven't seen it, trust me it's not like Twilight.

Agreeing with all of this! Fido was AWESOME, as well as the other movies mentioned. I also really enjoyed the new Evil Dead movie and I can't wait to see World War Z. As for movie like Twilight I only saw the first one because I was forced by a friend haha. But I have no interest in those types of movies.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    while extremely lame those 2 movies were never meant to be horror, though they borrowed creatures typically found in a horror theme I think they were really just meant to be lovey movies.

But even still I haven't seen a good horror movie in ages. I used to love love love horror movies + games but it seems like all the movies are so heavily relying on cheap pop up scares and now all the horror games are falling into co-op play styles which IMO kinda kills the point.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I forgot how scary The BLOB was... lol
  • Cbefitforlife
    Cbefitforlife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Interview with a vampire with Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise and Christian Slater is one of my favs. I also like the wolf with jack NIchelson. I guess the second one kind of has a love thing to it...but it is still pretty good. I also liked the skeleton key. I think that is what it is called. How about the others? All great movies.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Woman in Black was a good Victorian Horror. Not as good as the play but I still jumped.

I like good horrors and also enjoy crappy B-movies but it does seem that a lot of horror films are made today with the intent of seeing how much they can get past the film boards.

I enjoyed twilight but not as a horror film - sorry but there is nothing scary about a bunch of sparkly vampires.

I'm enjoy Supernatural because there are real monsters in it and fighting etc.

Was thinking of going to see the Remake of the Night of the living dead but reviews said it was awful.
  • bleedingdesu
    bleedingdesu Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Twilight is not the first to romanticize vampires, by no means. It's not even the first massively popular series to do so.
    It's kind of ridiculous to ask where horror has gone, and then list examples not meant to be horror or marketed as horror.

Aside from that, I agree with you on a few points.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    the series Supernatural still has decent vampires:

Vampire.jpg

Though in the later series it has all veered away from ghosts, werewolves and vampires and switched to demons and angels for some reason.
  • bleedingdesu
    bleedingdesu Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Really, it kind of sounds like you're just looking at supernatural romance films and assuming that that's all that there is. There have tons of new horror films that aren't romance, remakes, or sequels in the past five years.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    the series Supernatural still has decent vampires:

Vampire.jpg

Though in the later series it has all veered away from ghosts, werewolves and vampires and switched to demons and angels for some reason.

True - just working my way through the boxset and season 4 is very much angels/demons. Been told season 8 goes back to the origins a bit more but its not available in the uk yet.