Anybody here severely obese?

Options
13»

Replies

• iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have been at this for two months and I have lost 13 lbs. I wanted to put "only" in front of two months, and in front of 13 lbs, but I realized that was sort of putting down all the time and work I have done to get this far. I am twice your age, about 6 inches shorter, and started at about 300 lbs. I started by just exercising - got into a program through the health system here (I am in Canada). Didn't lose much in those eight weeks, but it got me started moving. Then somehow I found MFP - I can't even remember what led me here! I previously did the calorie counting thing, but honestly what a pain to have to write it down, then look things up, and not really be able to always find what you were looking for. This site was perfect, most things are already in the database! I still struggle greatly day to day but most days keep to my calorie limit. I do not like exercising (big surprise, hey, how did most of us get this way?!) but I committed to going to the gym because I signed up for a year! My car is in the shop right now and it's killing me to just have to do my Leslie Sansome walking DVD. I started out this morning saying I am just not going to do it today... I did it! I see a very long road ahead of me, but when I look at the success stories, I see a very long road BEHIND those people, and there's no reason I cannot do it too. I have gone from only being able to do about 15 min. cardio in February to doing 45 min earlier in May, with a very bad knee! I would give just about anything to have started this 30 years ago with two good knees. You CAN do it, little by little, inch by inch... We`re here for ya!
  • araes2102
    araes2102 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I started on here in Jan at about 242 lbs (I'm only 5'1" so any extra weight really shows). Before starting this year I was very obese, very unmotivated and hated how I looked and felt. I had always promised myself I would never be a 'calorie counter' and that I didn't need any help to lose any weight. Then in Jan I downloaded a free app and thought 'oh well, I'll have a look at it, probably won't stick to it anyway' - I couldn't have been more wrong about either sticking with it or being a calorie-counter. I have stuck with mfp for nearly 6 months now, the longest I have ever stuck to any diet or exercise plan and I count everything I eat, even if I have a bad day. It makes me accountable for everything I eat and helps me make decisions on whether I should really eat that or not.

Has it been an easy journey so far? No - there are days I still want to eat things I shouldn't, and days when I do anyway, and later regret it. I am learning that each day is a new one, if I don't do well today, I'll try harder tomorrow.

Do I look amazingly thin and fit yet? No - most of my family and friends haven't really noticed I've lost any weight yet (though I've lost about 35lbs so far). But, more importantly, I have noticed changes in myself - I have so much more energy, I feel a lot lighter and I'm pretty sure there's a lot less chins when I look in the mirror.

Have I learned to love exercise and become a gym-junkie and can't wait to get out for that early morning run? Absolutely not, there are still days when I have no desire to exercise at all, though I have learned to enjoy going for walks once I'm out there. I've also accepted the fact that I will never be a runner and complete a marathon - I do what is good for me, not someone else.

Why am I telling you this? Because I feel you are where I was 6 months ago - and I didn't think I would still be here now when I first looked at this app. I can honestly tell you that, no, it will probably not be easy, and no, it is not a quick fix - the success stories on mfp are amazing, but remember those people have usually been working at their changes for a year or more. I can't wait to be one of those success stories one day, but I have now gained enough knowledge to accept that it will be a long time before I will reach that final goal - I set myself smaller goals of 10kg (about 20lbs) at a time, I reward myself in some small way, then I set a new goal.

Lastly, I have found the community on mfp amazing - I never imagined I would befriend total strangers on a forum, but I have made some amazing friends on here who have supported and motivated me every step of the way, and picked me up (figuratively lol) when I've been down or had a bad day. My advice would be to join a group, make some friends and give it a go, there really isn't anything to lose - except maybe some weight lol.

Good luck, and I wish you every success. I hope to see you, maybe in a year or so, with a success story of your own. Sorry this was such a long post, but I hope it helps :)

This!

And one other thing... the same thing I told myself while going to school full-time, working full-time, and being a single parent. When I wanted to give up on school because it was too hard and getting my degree would take too long (took 7 yrs total)... I just said: Well a year from now I can either be a year closer to my goal or I can not be, it is my choice, either way I will be a year older anyway. So I stuck to it. I made it to that goal and I will make it to this one too!
  • Alvarolara58
    Options
    I'm 5'8 230lbs I play soccer very often for 120 min with my friends 2-4 every week. I don't look that big but the back fat and belly fat shows making me feel uncomfterble near people. I'm 13 so I singed up because I needed to lose this big boy fat and have that body I wanted. If I get to 140lbs I will be so proud and since I been gaining some muscle this will be the site to do it on
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I'm there with you! Actually I'm a little jealous of YOU, believe it or not! I am over 300 pounds and have been this big since I was in my 20's. I'm jealous because you are doing something about it NOW, where as I ignored people then that told me how much harder it would be when I got older! I have been on MFP for almost six weeks and have lost 10 pounds already. I thought about that after a month - that month would have passed had I not lost the weight, but I'd be still be 10 pounds heavier! We can do it this and if you stick with it you will probably lose weight faster than I will... Please don't give up - let's do this together!! You can do simple things like walk in place during the commercials while watching TV... If you are hungry between meals, get busy doing something. I will do a load of laundry, or walk down to check my mailbox down the street. By the time I'm done I'm usually distracted & forget I was even hungry. Or pour yourself a huge cup of water (with a squeeze of lemon juice if you like), log on to MFP and start reading these threads, especially the Chat & Fun ones - sometimes they are really funny & it will take your mind off eating. I will send you a friend request!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I started last year with a bmi of around 43.9 (5'4" and 260lbs). I'm down to 195lbs now (bmi of around 33). I'd probably be closer to my goal if I hadn't slipped up a bit over the holidays, but one way or another I'm going to get there. I'm 23 years old as well. I don't have any good before and afters (I didn't let people take pictures of me until I was in the low 200's), but I do have this facial comparison.

1st pic: Drivers license photo taken last year at my heaviest
    2nd pic: Photo taken September 2012 @ 198lbs (before my slip up)
    33wmd76.jpg

It does take time and determination, but it is not impossible. Patience is key. Take one day at time. And I do agree sometimes setting small goals is better than looking at the bigger picture. Last year, my goals weren't based on weight loss. I started by walking a quarter of a mile down a trail (so half a mile there and back) with my husband and my goal was to be able walk all the way to the next small town (roughly 14 miles there and back). I still can't make it that far, but I'm getting there slowly. I went on a walk the other day that would have killed me this time last year. I'm also walking at a faster pace. Last month I struggled to keep up with my husband walking at 3mph and my last walk averaged out to be 3.8mph for a 6 mile walk.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Listen...you are going to have to have tons of will power, and patience. I'm pretty close to my goal weight, but I've "only" lost about 60 pounds. It has only been possible by completely changing my life. Now that I have seen the changes, there is no way I ever want to go back.
  • soxx226
    soxx226 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I started at 402 in January 2012. When I started out I did like you do read the success stories and get extremely jealous and wanted it now! It's just something you have to be mentally prepared for cause it is a long journey. I started out really well, lost 60 lbs and got down to 340 and stalled completely out, gave up and gained 20 back by Jan 2013. I started back up and the closer I get to finally hitting 300 lbs the more confidence and self-esteem I have gotten. Just keep at it and you will lose and get to where you wanna be. I still have quite the journey ahead of me but I know it's all worth it! Good Luck!!

Add me if you would like for support
  • Verohh
    Verohh Posts: 24
    Options
    I know how you feel!!!!!! and I've just decided (again) to lose this weight; I used to say "I don't want to be 40 and fat" then it was, "I don't want to be 50 and fat", now I'm 54 and still fat, and I don't want my new motto to be "I don't want to be dead and still fat" ;(

The problem is that just waiting around for all this "stuff" to fall off is just not going to happen, that's my personal conclusion; but it is depressing to look ahead and see what seems to be an impossible mountain to climb, so... I've decided to do things differently this time, I've decided to look on the POSITIVE side...

For starters, I like looking at before/after pictures, but I found something even better - I've been wanting to know what it feels like to be skinny, strong and healthy (because after all this time, I've forgotten); SO, check out this thread here on myfitnesspal under "success stories" where people are listing all the AWFUL things that have happened to them since they've lost weight, like having to buy a new wardrobe, feeling cold since there no longer are inches of fat insulating your body, having energy, being mistaken for a younger sibling, your husband rediscovering your body and being unable to keep his hands off of you, etc... funny stuff, inspiring stuff, encouraging stuff to read... check it out!
  • aprmay
    aprmay Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Bumping this because it's an awesome thread.

Everyone here already gave you great advice. Only add from me is that you have to want this change. Are you ready mentally?
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was severely obese. The highest weight for me was 356 lbs. and that was in 2010. I lost 126 pounds first and then gained back 100 and now in the last 9 months I have lost 124 pounds and I am no longer considered obese just overweight. I am now working on that last 25 pounds. For me the thought is to never give up, sometimes it feels like a long frustrating journey. The main thing I have come to realize is that it is all about how many calories I put into my body. Too many and I gain weight, too few and I lose weight. I do try to exercise for reasons other than just to lose weight, I think exercise is good for many different reasons but it is not a requirement for weight loss. I believe you can lose the weight that you want to lose. Just never give up!
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I'll chime in with my success (so far) story as well. I'm a little over half way to my "goal" weight, which will still leave me in the obese category of BMI, but once there I know I'll reassess if I want to continue further, of if my body will let me stop. For me, the start of this wasn't something I planned, or even really was thinking about. Not this past Christmas, but the one before that I had the mild thought that if I could work on cutting out the second helpings, that MAYBE I could start thinking about loosing some weight. At this point, I was up around 415 - 420. Not certain, because the scale I had to use at this time wrapped around to 0 after 350, and when ever I stepped on, it would wrap around to about the 25 - 30 mark.

I was also a student (and still am) when this started, so I was actually being FORCED to do some exercise. Had to walk the 10 yards or so from the parking lot to the class room, or the 1/2 block between one class room and the next. When I groused about not exercising, I used the excuses "I'm a student, so I'm sitting all day in lecture. I'm sitting in the car for an hour every day getting to/from school. I'm sitting at my desk all night getting through the mountain of homework. I don't have TIME to exercise." I say excuses for a very good reason - the school has a gym available to the students that is open from 6 am (the earliest classes are ever scheduled is 8 am) to 11 pm (my latest classes have always let out by 5 pm). And, yes, I usually DID have a mound of homework to plug through, but I could have worked a little more efficiently and gotten it done a bit faster if I had really wanted to.

Because of the unexpected weight loss, I actually found this sight because I was looking for anything to help me understand WHY I was losing weight. My family has a ton of different medical issues, and I was certain that I had fallen into one of those traps. But, once I joined, I was amazed to find out I was actually doing what you are SUPPOSED to do to loose weight! I was eating at a deficit.

By now, I was resigned to a small loss, then a resurgence of my bad habits just like I had experienced before. All of my life I've been heavy, if not down right fat. I was blessed by genetics so that most of the time the excess weight doesn't show like it would with someone who doesn't carry their weight as well. That let me plow through weight watchers (and yo-yo horribly), Adkins (yeah, when I got done with that one I was at LEAST 20 pounds heavier), and any number of other "diets" along the way. I was convinced that I could not loose the weight, and I would have to resign myself to perpetually fight the ever increasing weight gains. The only time I remember before I found MFP ever seeing a loss I was working a job where I was walking 6 - 7 hours of my shift to cover 8 - 10 miles with a couple of smallish hills. Even then, I don't recall loosing WEIGHT so much as INCHES.

But, with the help of MFP, I was able to take control of my weight loss and head off a possible plateau or fifty, take control of my health, and make the small, incremental changes necessary for me to continue living in a healthier me.

As the others have said before - it has not been the easiest road to walk, nor has it been the fastest on record. There are now medical conditions which dictate how and what I eat, which has helped to accelerate the loss, and which I am actively trying to curb so that I can ensure that I have all of the proper tools when I am ready to transition to maintenance.

Each day that you are actively working on taking that control into your own hands is a day you are forging the tools you need to be healthy for the rest of your life. Just because you have a bad day/week/hour/meal is not a reason to quit or give up. It is a lesson about yourself, and a chance to learn what NOT to do, and to evaluate how you feel after so that you can make a different choice next time you are in a similar situation.

One of the things that I have seen over and over through the forums, and I found worked wonderfully for me until the medical issue cropped up and started dictating my menu is to NEVER make a food taboo or forbidden. Especially if it is something you enjoy eating. You can restrict it to certain times/ events/ days, but if you completely cut it out of your life, more than likely you will eventually HAVE to have it, and will wind up over indulging and feel horrid about it after. Whenever I see someone talking about a "forbidden" food or having trouble because they binged, I recall a quote from Thomas Edison when he finally invented the light bulb "I did not fail 2000 times, I just found 2000 ways that didn't work." I would strongly suggest taking that quote to heart.

Yes, there WILL be times when you slip and fall. There will be times when you fumble around trying to figure out why something isn't going like planned. And, there will be times when you feel that you have no hope because NOTHING has changed in a few days/weeks. But, if you remember you have found many ways that DON'T work, you have also found something more precious - you have found a way that works for YOU. Many here say there is no "special snowflake", but in reality we are ALL special snowflakes. Jane Doe's journey is not yours, and yours is not mine. There are some GENERAL guidelines that are applicable to the masses, but the specifics have to be figured out by each and every one of us. And, if you quit/fall/give up, you are doing yourself a great disservice. Because if you persevere, in the time that would have passed whether you were making the changes or not, you will find achievements that are the merest flickers of potential NOW growing larger, being met, or even being surpassed.

I won't pound "moderation is the key", because quite frankly, I don't know what moderation is for you. I'm not sure I know what moderation is for ME! Even now, though I eat smaller meals than I used to, I still regularly eat at least TWICE what my parents eat when we sit down to dinner together. (Yes, I'm a cheap student - living with parents to save on the hard to come by green stuff!)

As others have said, exercise will help. WALKING will help. But, if you don't like, or are uncomfortable about walking outside, then even heavy duty house cleaning can be enough exercise to start with while you are settling into the idea of what your new, healthy life will be like. And, as you gain that knowledge, and feel more comfortable, you can expand from that foundation. Finding an exercise you ENJOY will be critical. For me it is the pool - especially since access comes with the school gym! For some it is walking, or running, or riding a bike, or even gardening. But, find something you can enjoy for a long, long time. Don't make exercise a "chore" because you will eventually loose the fight of will power VS lack of desire. If you enjoy doing it, then the feeling of enjoyment will be its own reward when you don't want to.

Don't go charging go-ho into the process of making yourself healthier either. Again, the point about making too many changes too quickly that was brought up earlier is very true. Small changes added together make the big changes in the end. And, those small changes pile up surprisingly quickly.

Learn to listen to your body. That was one thing I had never learned when I was growing up because I never had to. With all of the weight loss attempts, all the yo-yo dieting, and all of the sheer determination I threw at the wall of what was NOT possible for my body to perform I never got to know when enough was enough. My body gave me a wake-up call with it's version of a steel I beam about two months ago when I pushed too hard with an emerging interest, and my one GOOD knee is now acting up worse than the one I injured as a teen. If I had known HOW to listen to my body, I would have "heard" the warnings that what I was asking was too much too soon. But, your body will also tell you when you are truly hungry instead of just thirsty, or when you really CAN make the change you are contemplating rather than fight you over it.

No, not all changes can be done in harmony with your body, but a great majority can be... if you "hear" that it is ready for the next step.

For my actual specifics:
    I set my initial goals with MFP as sedentary and attempted to eat back all of my exercise calories. Now, because of both my weight and a constant inability to meet those caloric goals most days I have gone to a slightly different method, which seems to be right for ME.

I started with about 10 minutes total of walking per day, and not all of it at once! As I got lazier, and because my classes started later, I have since increased that to around 30 minutes per day due to having to park out in a "north forty" parking lot instead of right up against the buildings my classes are in.

I have altered my eating habits now, so that I am eating a TON more salads than I had in the past, and am actively watching my protein and fat counts. I try to make sure I hit these, as I MUST restrict my carbs. Not everyone has this requirement, so you will need to find what ratio of carbs/fats/proteins you feel fullest with for the longest period.

I'm not organized enough to pre-plan my days, however, I do log my meals as soon as I can after I eat. That way I have a running total of both calories and carbs available for the rest of the day. Some people find it easier to pre-plan their days or weeks, I just prefer more variety and almost never know what is going to be for dinner until it is being prepared. (And, even then I might have hamburger or spaghetti, depending on what I think sounds better once the hamburger is thawed!)

I do not totally rely on the scale to keep track of my progress. I keep track of a few body measurements as well. There have been a couple of times when both the scale and the tape measure have shown no changes, but my clothes were fitting much better, or getting looser.

When I started, I just logged my food, tracked my measurements/weight, and went on my way. Since December of last year I have started using the social side of this site more, and it has helped me get ideas for what else I might need to consider as I work towards being fit, active, and healthy.

In conjunction with reading the forums, I have also started working on building a solid block of friends. I keep my list small by preference because I actively support these people, and all I ask of them is the same thing. As you gain confidence or desire to branch into the social side, be sure you have that active support, and are offering it, because on the days when you just don't want to do something, or just cannot dredge up the energy to do something you know you need to be doing, that block of friends can be the push to get you started. And, once started you will likely find yourself finishing what ever it was you didn't want to do.

And, like several others have said previously:

Great job on taking the first, and hardest step into your new, healthier life.

How that I've written a book that I hope I didn't bore you with,

I hope you can find some helpful ideas buried in the words.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I am severely obese. This is despite the fact that since October I have lost approx 43 lbs. I got a scale in April and while I am glad I can track my weight it's also a double edged sword. Since I am tracking my weight losing just seems to take soooooooooo long. When I was just changing things like eating more vegetables and moving a little more by playing with my dog or "walking" during tv shows it seem like the pounds were just falling off and I wasn't really working at it. Now that it is a conscious effort it just seems to take longer.

The one thing I did that I think that helped me change the most was I started a journal and it wasn't at all about my weight or making changes, but it did turn into that rather quickly. It was because of my journal that I was able to recognize how much pain I was in and it gave me the incentive to see a doctor about my health issues. I found out that I was in much worse shape than I thought and I thought I was in terrible shape. I am on medication now and I am grateful for that because without medication my situation would have gone from terrible to fatal pretty quickly. I was also able to identify my feelings and figure out what I really wanted to do. And I figured what I wanted to do was get some more exercise and I started that just recently sort of I am exercising outside now instead of playing with my dog inside I take her for walks outside.

So, now I am on the road to recovery and I am getting a lot more confidence that I can finally stick to doing what I need to lose weight and get healthier. I do wish it didn't take getting so sick to get me to turn things around, but there it is that is what it took. I might be on medication for the rest of my life, but that doesn't mean I can't or shouldn't strive for a healthier lifestyle.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    My highest weight was about 400 lbs. I lost about 150 lbs of that, but gained most if it back.

When I started losing weight this time, I was at about 370 lbs. Last time I checked my weight, I was at 237 lbs. Which is still bigger than a lot of people's "before" pictures, and it kind of sucks to hear people talk about how disgustingly, monstrously fat they were at 220 lbs, or whatever. But I'm really proud of myself. I had almost given up when I was at 370, and I've managed to lose everything I had gained, and then some.

Sometimes I think it's easier if you have farther to go in your weight loss, as opposed to just 20 lbs or something, because you'll have time to really settle into the routine. Sensible eating and exercise will just become second nature. You'll *have* to do it for longer, so the chances are higher that you'll be able to make lifelong changes.
  • posypink
    posypink Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I was quite obese, I was in the top bit obese category (BMI was 37) before starting this weight loss journey, and I wanted to wish you all the best of luck with starting this - don't worry if you have an off day or even an off week, we all get it, this is looking at the bigger picture!

I had just over 3 stone to lose, I know that isn't a lot compared to everyone else on this forum page, but it was overwhelming for me and I didn't know how to start or if I could do it. I quit looking for a quick fix, and instead took the long and slow road of healthy eating and exercise.

I am now 10lb from my goal, I am considering losing a further stone when I get to my target as I am only 4ft 10 and for my height I should be 8st 6 - I think that will be too small for my frame though, so I am aiming for 9st 7 and then I'll assess it when I get there :-)

I feel so much better for doing this. I have days when I eat badly, everyone does - but I want to stress to you, don't let it put you off or feel you have ruined it all - just be good the next day!

This is about doing this for life, that is what I tell my husband, you can't live deprived, it just makes me realise that I can still enjoy things, but just have them on a smaller scale :-)

I am doing slimming world and MFP together and that works for me, I can still enjoy nice food, but I cook it a healthier way and I don't feel I am dieting at all - I really hope you have a good day and know we are all behind you on this - you are not alone!!

*Hugs* xxx
  • jodiegarrett42
    jodiegarrett42 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes I am severely obese. I understand your pain. I know how bad it feels to look in the mirror or at a picture and want to put your head back under the covers and never come out! I get it. But there comes a time when you have to stop. You are young and have a lot of time to get it together. You can do this. You are the only person who can fight for you! No one else can. Take charge and take care of yourself.
  • lookitsbecc
    lookitsbecc Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    started at 245lbs. What's worked for me mostly is getting more and more MFP people added so you're more motivated to eat better and exercise more. Keep at it!
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I started off weighing 336 pounds (I'm 6 foot). My BMI was 44, so I was morbidly obese.....ouch! :noway:

Now I am 259.75 (yes, that quarter of a pound makes a difference, it puts me into the 250s, hahaha) and my BMI is 35! So still obese, just not morbidly so! :grumble:

You have had loads of great advice already on this thread and I hope you realise you aren't alone.

Here is my 2 cents' worth. Focus on your diet first if you need to, what goes into your mouth is 90% of the battle. Exercise can be as simple as walking...when you are carrying a lot of weight, just walking is a workout that can burn a lot of calories! Weigh EVERYTHING you eat...believe me, your estimates will probably be waaaay off, mine were! And drink a lot of water - I did anyway, but the benefits of being well hydrated cannot be underestimated!

I have only recently added some friends on this site and started reading the message boards so you are well ahead of me there! The support is invaluable and you will learn more about nutrition and exercise on here than you would researching on your own - from people who have been there and done it!

Finally, if you have a bad day....don't give up. Start again tomorrow (not next week, tomorrow!) and carry on! We all slip up from time to time, we are all human.

Best of luck! And remember, the small changes all add up to large ones! You can do this!

Lisa :flowerforyou: